Winter bikes

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Threevok

Re: Winter bikes

Post by Threevok »

mig wrote:och come off it..!! :wink:

whilst i like hooning around in summer evenings on lightweight kit as much as the next rider there is something about winter miles that attracts me. i can't quite put my finger on what it is though. that said - here's hoping for a relatively dry and mild one!!

:lol:

I thought it was just me.

I do a lot more miles in the winter than the summer.

Perhaps it's because I am not so obsessed with XC in the winter, or perhaps it's because the wife and kids don't want to tag along
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

With almost 1000 feet climbing in the 10 miles to work, and the going back down again in the afternoon, I don't want a single speed as my winter bike.

IGH, maybe, if I could get the right configuration.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

Vorpal wrote:With almost 1000 feet climbing in the 10 miles to work, and the going back down again in the afternoon, I don't want a single speed as my winter bike.

Wow, that is an impressive commute :shock:

I'm still toying with the correct configuration for my SS for commuting.
I only do 3.2 miles to work with 250ft elevation - much of which is single climb at the end

I am finding the biggest struggle with SS for commute, is on the flat road parts
32/18 will climb walls, but you spin out to the point of passing out, in traffic
32/13 ratio is better, but a bit of a killer on that last hill
Currently running 32/16 but thinking of swapping to 32/15 soon
mig

Post by mig »

either 48x17 or 48x21 on 700c wheels.

i too have a significant climb on the way home but i find tackling it each year keeps me ticking over for the oncoming spring.

i used a three speed sturmey archer as a child but never have used one in anger later on. worth thinking about (if i ever turn to the dark side that is :D )
whoof

Post by whoof »

One of the great things about bikes is that compared to cars they are both relatively cheap to buy and especially maintain. You can therefore have a few different bikes that are dedicated to a certain type of riding rather than a Mondeo diesel estate of a bike that does most things reasonably well.
I currently have a summer bike, winter bike, commuter, tourer and Cornwall bike.

One thing no one has mentioned yet (I think) is ice and the use of studded tyres.
Phil_Chadwick

Post by Phil_Chadwick »

Vorpal wrote:With almost 1000 feet climbing in the 10 miles to work, and the going back down again in the afternoon, I don't want a single speed as my winter bike.

My commute is about 11 miles; about 1000 feet down and then up the other side. Each way. On fixed :)

It just takes some getting used to to start with. It's a good way to build core strength, and to keep warm.
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

whoof wrote:One of the great things about bikes is that compared to cars they are both relatively cheap to buy and especially maintain. You can therefore have a few different bikes that are dedicated to a certain type of riding rather than a Mondeo diesel estate of a bike that does most things reasonably well.
I currently have a summer bike, winter bike, commuter, tourer and Cornwall bike.

One thing no one has mentioned yet (I think) is ice and the use of studded tyres.

Actually, I did mention that my summer Single speed becomes a ice/snow machine in the winter

This saves me constantly changing the tyres on the "winter" bike depending on what I find outside, when I awake in the morning.

I have found relying on weather forecasts (at least here in the South Wales Valleys) is dodgey at best

I run Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro Evo 2.3 front 2.1 rear
whoof

Post by whoof »

Threevok wrote:
whoof wrote:One of the great things about bikes is that compared to cars they are both relatively cheap to buy and especially maintain. You can therefore have a few different bikes that are dedicated to a certain type of riding rather than a Mondeo diesel estate of a bike that does most things reasonably well.

Actually, I did mention that my summer Single speed becomes a ice/snow machine in the winter

This saves me constantly changing the tyres on the "winter" bike depending on what I find outside, when I awake in the morning.

I have found relying on weather forecasts (at least here in the South Wales Valleys) is dodgey at best

I run Schwalbe Ice Spiker Pro Evo 2.3 front 2.1 rear

Sorry must have missed that. I know what you mean about the weather forecast, some nights can be well below zero and there's no ice and on others it's considerably warmer but there's one section, the Bath side of Bitton Station on the Bath-Bristol railway path where there it can be icy.
I think it's a combination of temperature, wind and humidity.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Threevok wrote:
Wow, that is an impressive commute :shock:

Phil_Chadwick wrote:My commute is about 11 miles; about 1000 feet down and then up the other side. Each way. On fixed :)

It just takes some getting used to to start with. It's a good way to build core strength, and to keep warm.

I live in Norway, where it snows in winter. There is no way that I would be happy riding a single speed in the huge variety of conditions I can get on my commute.

I don't do it every day in winter, even now. It's a bit too much for me.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
mig

Post by mig »

downhills during a winter commute in norway must call for thicker shorts and sleeves on your string vest i would have thought :?: :wink:
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

mig wrote:downhills during a winter commute in norway must call for thicker shorts and sleeves on your string vest i would have thought :?: :wink:

Definitely thicker shorts I would think :lol:
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

Vorpal wrote: There is no way that I would be happy riding a single speed in the huge variety of conditions I can get on my commute.

To be honest, riding a single speed in the winter ice/snow(here) isn't much different from riding XC on the trails and fire roads in the great Welsh summertime. I just stick an 18t on the back and away to go.

10 miles would be too much though, methinks :wink:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mig wrote:downhills during a winter commute in norway must call for thicker shorts and sleeves on your string vest i would have thought :?: :wink:

:lol: :lol:

It took me a while to work out what was best. I wear gloves going up the hill, and ski mittens going down. If it cold enough, I wear ski goggles, too. I dress in (lots of) layers, so that I can modify the clothes to suit conditions.
mig

Post by mig »

is there a thread about coldest, wettest, hottest, windiest etc rides?
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

mig wrote:och come off it..!! :wink:

whilst i like hooning around in summer evenings on lightweight kit as much as the next rider there is something about winter miles that attracts me. i can't quite put my finger on what it is though. that said - here's hoping for a relatively dry and mild one!!

I always do a lot more in the winter. And I love it. The colours are fantastic, I can see through the hedgerows, and I actually like it cooler, as I 'run hot'. But I work from home and have the luxury of arranging my work hours, so can ride in daylight in the week when the roads are quieter and whenever the weather isn't too horrible, and catch up with work when it is dark, bad weather and at weekends (I have to work a lot of weekends anyway).

Winter (except for ice) is my favourite time for cycling. It was over a winter when cycling saved my life when I was going round the bend, so I'm always reminded about how good it felt when I began to feel better when I'm out in the winter (cycling always helps my PTSD when it rears its ugly head). Likewise hot weather is a bit spoiled for me because that's when it all went wrong in the first place.