A simple pleasure

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
RodT

A simple pleasure

Post by RodT »

A simple pleasure, riding a bike, but after six weeks off the road following a partial knee replacement it felt practically transcendental to go for a ride today. I covered 18 Cornish miles (they're longer than English ones) in golden autumn sunshine, with a cup of tea and a cake halfway in the Bissoe café. No gut-busting, just a tootle along the lanes to remind myself, as if I needed it, what a brilliant invention is the bike. Six weeks ago I thought I'd never be able to ride again. Today I did. Take courage, anybody who's having a similar operation. It will turn out ok.
gaz

Re: A simple pleasure

Post by gaz »

:D
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Yup
Bike, sunshine, tea and cake. That's all it takes :D
Actually riding the bike just makes it all better :lol:
Well done!
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

rode from perrenporth to Bissoe cafe last sunday , its a lovely ride even in the rain, nice to hear you are back riding ,,,, take care , stay safe.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Here's to many more years (nay, decades!) of simple pleasures for you, RodT, and indeed for us all.

I have to ask about Cornish miles though; are they even longer than Devon miles? :)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bmblbzzz wrote:Here's to many more years (nay, decades!) of simple pleasures for you, RodT, and indeed for us all.......

+1 and thanks for the OP great to read of someone enjoying the simple joy of cycling :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

landsurfer wrote:rode from perrenporth to Bissoe cafe last sunday , its a lovely ride even in the rain, nice to hear you are back riding ,,,, take care , stay safe.
Rain?
Not rained here for over a week.

I've not called in at the cafe, but cycled past it a few times on my quest for cycling all the roads in Cornwall. I see it's run by Ricci.
https://bikechainricci.co.uk/bissoe/the-cafe/
I think the original Ricci sold his business maybe 20odd years ago. He used to run his business from home near Redruth, and I went down there back in 1986 when I was building up my brand new Mercian frame. The wheels and tyres were the last things I bought ................ and I bought them from Ricci. I've got a receipt somewhere.

As for getting out for the sheer joy of riding, I couldn't agree more, and I'm glad that Rod has made it back to riding. Well done! :D :D

Sadly, I've not been riding since Saturday as I've been involved hacking and slashing in the garden attempting to fight back the Cornish jungle. There's miles of it! :lol:
Out again shortly. There could very well be a big bonfire ready for the 5th.
Mick F. Cornwall
whoof

Post by whoof »

Mick F wrote:
landsurfer wrote:rode from perrenporth to Bissoe cafe last sunday , its a lovely ride even in the rain, nice to hear you are back riding ,,,, take care , stay safe.
Rain?
Not rained here for over a week.

I've not called in at the cafe, but cycled past it a few times on my quest for cycling all the roads in Cornwall. I see it's run by Ricci.
https://bikechainricci.co.uk/bissoe/the-cafe/
I think the original Ricci sold his business maybe 20odd years ago. He used to run his business from home near Redruth, and I went down there back in 1986 when I was building up my brand new Mercian frame. The wheels and tyres were the last things I bought ................ and I bought them from Ricci. I've got a receipt somewhere.

Ricci/Bike Chain has been at Mount Ambrose in Redruth and run by Richard Pascoe since at least the late eighties. You either visited him at his home before he set up shop or it was his dad Len.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

:D
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
dodger

Post by dodger »

Cornish miles don't have any definition. They are as long as people want them to be. For example, whichever route I approach Constantine, the signs always show 4 miles, and I'm sure there are loads of other places the same.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

whoof wrote:Ricci/Bike Chain has been at Mount Ambrose in Redruth and run by Richard Pascoe since at least the late eighties. You either visited him at his home before he set up shop or it was his dad Len.
Found the invoice.

Dated 17th Jan 1987
Pair of Mavic MA40 36/36 on Campag Record SF hubs £79.95
Pair of rim tapes £1.70
Pair of tubes £5.00
Pair of Vittoria 22mm tyres £9.90
Total £96.55

We drove down their as a family, and Mrs Mick F and the girls were chatting in the living room with mum and dad by the fire, whilst I went into the shed/garage with Ricci to see the stuff and select what I wanted. The invoice has no stamp or signature, and is hand-written in ball-point pen.

I was under the impression that the business was sold a year or so later. I'm fairly sure I phoned them at one point to buy something and found out that he'd moved on and someone else was running it and had set up a shop. Could be mistaken I suppose, as memory plays tricks.

Can't remember where his place was specifically that we visited, as Ricci himself met us at Redruth station and showed us the way to his place. Seemed like a farm. Down a track with a big house and out-buildings. I can see it quite clearly in my mind's eye.
Mick F. Cornwall
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Good luck my friend!
I am similarly afflicted with a pot leg.
Fingers crossed that it comes off next week and I will soon be tootling a few Cumbrian miles!
Just the short ride from home to Arnside via Leighton Moss, then around the estuary to Sandside will restore my mojo!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

arnsider wrote:Good luck my friend!
I am similarly afflicted with a pot leg.
Fingers crossed that it comes off next week and I will soon be tootling a few Cumbrian miles!
Just the short ride from home to Arnside via Leighton Moss, then around the estuary to Sandside will restore my mojo!

That neck 'o the woods can restore anyone's mojo :)
Hope all goes well :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden