Who are the best/worst drivers on the road?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
peetee

Re: Who are the best/worst drivers on the road?

Postby peetee » 4 Sep 2020, 9:16am

In a typical urban environment I would use my indicators regardless. They are there to inform everyone of your intentions not just road users. I don’t consider myself such a good driver as to assume I have spotted everything that is going on in a high street that might be temporarily clear of other moving vehicles but still occupied by pedestrians, occupants of parked cars or other instances I cannot think of now and therefore probably won’t anticipate ‘in the moment’.
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.

Bonefishblues

Postby Bonefishblues » 4 Sep 2020, 9:34am

And typically you'd be absolutely right, agreed.

grufty

Postby grufty » 4 Sep 2020, 10:49am

Currently
Worst- school run motorists
Best- drivers who choose to walk,scoot or cycle

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 6 Sep 2020, 10:52am

peetee wrote:In a typical urban environment I would use my indicators regardless. They are there to inform everyone of your intentions not just road users. I don’t consider myself such a good driver as to assume I have spotted everything that is going on in a high street that might be temporarily clear of other moving vehicles but still occupied by pedestrians, occupants of parked cars or other instances I cannot think of now and therefore probably won’t anticipate ‘in the moment’.

Who is there other than road users - pedestrians are using the road as well...
In theory they have a dedicated portion, in practice motons assume it’s just free parking.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Cyril Haearn

Postby Cyril Haearn » 6 Sep 2020, 11:32am

I nearly always indicate when driving, in case the Invisible Person is nearby

About the only situation I might not indicate is when turning off to the nearside, for fear a morton behind might think I were inviting them to overtake

What reasons do experts have for not indicating? One can never know whether the Invisible Person might be present. Even the best driving instructors do not have perfect knowledge :?
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

DaveReading

Postby DaveReading » 6 Sep 2020, 1:33pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:What reasons do experts have for not indicating? One can never know whether the Invisible Person might be present. Even the best driving instructors do not have perfect knowledge :?

As far as I can gather, the argument appears to be that if you indicate when there's nobody around to see, it means that you aren't situationally aware.

I have no idea how that works.

peetee

Postby peetee » 6 Sep 2020, 2:06pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:
peetee wrote:In a typical urban environment I would use my indicators regardless. They are there to inform everyone of your intentions not just road users. I don’t consider myself such a good driver as to assume I have spotted everything that is going on in a high street that might be temporarily clear of other moving vehicles but still occupied by pedestrians, occupants of parked cars or other instances I cannot think of now and therefore probably won’t anticipate ‘in the moment’.

Who is there other than road users - pedestrians are using the road as well...
In theory they have a dedicated portion, in practice motons assume it’s just free parking.

Well, let’s not split hairs as to how to describe the individuals I referred to. I think it was fairly clear the sort of situations I was referring to but if you need further clarification consider that not every road situation is easy to read and people are fallible. Perhaps I haven’t noticed that that vehicle Is waiting to reverse out of the driveway ahead. It’s at right angle to me and the reversing light is not visible. An indication that I am turning before I get to her would give her the opportunity to start her manoeuvre. And that guy by the bus stop looking my way. He’s not looking for the next bus, one has just dropped him off, he wants to cross the road.... need I go on?
Current status report:
Back on two wheels in deepest Pastyland and loving every minute. Mission: to enjoy big, bad hills again.