Who are the best/worst drivers on the road?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyclewala

Re: Who are the best/worst drivers on the road?

Post by Cyclewala »

Worst driver?

That could me, or anyone of us, on any given day. All it takes is a moment of lapsed concentration/distraction.

Since I took up cycling, I think my driving has improved - particularly hazard premption. But, every so often, I will make an error that could have been costly.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Cyclewala wrote:Worst driver?

That could me, or anyone of us, on any given day. All it takes is a moment of lapsed concentration/distraction.

Since I took up cycling, I think my driving has improved - particularly hazard premption. But, every so often, I will make an error that could have been costly.

Good drivers don't have lapses that could impinge on others safety. they continually think about what they are doing, they don't drive right to the edge/on the margin they give account of others errors and their own. Good drivers go at speeds that they've a margin in hand, good drivers look for opportunities to help vulnerable road users get about easier (which generally equals safer) and do so in a way that has no bearing on their journey either.

I used to be a serial car commuter BITD for my sins, a lot of it in and through London having driven from North Herts, somehow never managed to have those lapses that caused others to get hurt. Did I make errors, of course I did, but I'd already done best part of 10 years road riding including daily commuting through a major industrial area and busy city by the time I was 17.

Poor drivers don't think anywhere near enough about their driving, they rarely if ever drive with a margin in hand, this is why despite all the huge technical advances in driver aids there are still over 185,000 killed or injured on our roads.
Phileas

Post by Phileas »

Traction_man wrote:
Manc33 wrote:Best:
- Driving instructors.
- Cops.

Not so sure, I have seen police patrol cars not indicating..

+1

I’ve seen a number of appalling examples of poor police driving over the years.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Surely there is no excuse for bad driving by cops, there are always two in a car, the one who is not driving can observe and communicate
Mind, I think think many policepersons have not had advanced training, is that right?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Phileas wrote:

Me too. And instructors.
I stuck a "Pavements are for Pedestrians" note on the windscreen of a police car obstructing the pavement once.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Surely there is no excuse for bad driving by cops, there are always two in a car, the one who is not driving can observe and communicate
Mind, I think think many policepersons have not had advanced training, is that right?

There tends to be only one in a car around here.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Traction_man wrote:
- Driving instructors.
- Cops.

Not so sure, I have seen police patrol cars not indicating, and driving instruction vehicles driven over the speed limit...

I once did a sort of advanced driving course with the police (one of the instructors that train the high speed patrol drivers) - he didn't like to see indicators being used unless you could say who you were indicating for (and the invisible man was not a reason)

Absolutely brilliant course though, learnt a lot.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Why was the invisible person not a reason for indicating? I assume s/he is ubiquitous
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Pebble wrote:
Traction_man wrote:
- Driving instructors.
- Cops.

Not so sure, I have seen police patrol cars not indicating, and driving instruction vehicles driven over the speed limit...

I once did a sort of advanced driving course with the police (one of the instructors that train the high speed patrol drivers) - he didn't like to see indicators being used unless you could say who you were indicating for (and the invisible man was not a reason)

This has been rehearsed several times in recent years. There's something of a divide between the 'thou shalt indicate at all times' and 'thou shalt indicate only when reason to indicate' factions :D
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Pebble wrote:
Traction_man wrote:

This has been rehearsed several times in recent years. There's something of a divide between the 'thou shalt indicate at all times' and 'thou shalt indicate only when reason to indicate' factions :D

I think in fairness to the police instructor he was probably trying get the message over to fully concentrate on everything rather than enacting some mindless habit ?

I do often consider it a sign of incompetence those who overtake on a country road then indicate to move back left. It is often the ones who give you a close pass then in another 50 yards finally make it onto the other side of the road, then the indicator comes on and they start to slowly move back left, all approaching a blind bend. It is if they know what they should be doing but have not mastered the skills yet.
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

I was criticised on my motorbike test(1975) for using my indicators too much , I was told my bike looked like a Christmas tree with fairy lights on . Not sure the instructor had culturally got used to the idea of indicator lights on a motorbike. I did pass but then 90 percent did pass motorbike tests in those days , only new one person who failed, they were pretty pathetic as the examiner only saw you a few times. Think my grandad may of failed on the emergency stop , he went past and then stopped and then asked the examiner if he wanted something
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

I think some assume that if they indicate they can do anything and everyone has to submit. Manoeuvring with no signal when there is traffic is unwise but so is assuming that it gives me an absolute right on the road.
John
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Pebble wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:
Pebble wrote:I once did a sort of advanced driving course with the police (one of the instructors that train the high speed patrol drivers) - he didn't like to see indicators being used unless you could say who you were indicating for (and the invisible man was not a reason)

I think in fairness to the police instructor he was probably trying get the message over to fully concentrate on everything rather than enacting some mindless habit ?

I do often consider it a sign of incompetence those who overtake on a country road then indicate to move back left. It is often the ones who give you a close pass then in another 50 yards finally make it onto the other side of the road, then the indicator comes on and they start to slowly move back left, all approaching a blind bend. It is if they know what they should be doing but have not mastered the skills yet.

Yes, that's the one.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

The worst are those who think they are good drivers.
The best are those who know they make mistakes, and leave room for their own errors, and those of others.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mike Sales wrote:
Phileas wrote:

Me too. And instructors.
I stuck a "Pavements are for Pedestrians" note on the windscreen of a police car obstructing the pavement once.

Pedestrians including those with push chairs/prams and those who use other mobility aids... my wheelchair rims aren't in great condition, so I don't mind squeezing by a parked car...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.