Who are the best/worst drivers on the road?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
flat tyre

Re: Who are the best/worst drivers on the road?

Post by flat tyre »

Some delivery drivers seem to be very courteous in my experience, mainly DHL and UPS. However watch out for the ones driving unmarked vans, not sure which companies these are but they seem to proliferate in the run up to Xmas.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:We often take the car ferry (in our car :oops: ) from Dieppe to Newhaven. They always let the cars on first (and off last :( ) and the lorries on last. So we're already on deck enjoying the late afternoon sunshine, when the HGV's start manoeuvring up the gangway.

I have to admire the skill with which the drivers precisely centre their 40-tonners on the narrow gangways which are only about a foot wider than the lorries themselves. And even more so, when disembarking, and they often have to reverse, trailer and all, around corners in a confined space. I know I couldn't do it no matter how long I practised - these guys are incredibly well trained.

But on the downside. It only takes one inattentive HGV driver on the road, and a split second, to kill a cyclist or some other road user. And that dead person can't be brought back. And we all know this happens - witness the many cases that get into the news, like the HGV driver, recently sentenced to ten years, who rammed a car on the A34, killing 4 people.

So we probably have the best and the worst, all in one, here.

On the ferries between Hull and Rotterdam one always sees some "prestige" cars by the ramp where they will be first off. Of course, because they are the worst drivers, impatient terrorists.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Im 53.drive most days for at least a few hours and Im also a keen cyclist.I cannot believe the poor standard of driving by so many people.Many of them do seem to be young woman.They drive like there a..e is on fire!.They cut you up,overtake in stupid places etc..to gain a few seconds.
Username

Post by Username »

robing wrote:I think most lorry drivers are excellent. Many times I'll have one patiently waiting behind until it's safe to pass, and when they do they give me a very wide pass. Could teach other drivers a thing or two. (However in France I had a number of very close passes by lorries where I almost got sucked into their slipstream.) Worst drivers? Hard to say - wvm, mini cabs, 4x4s all candidates.

Caravanists are the worst along with horse box drivers. They drive far too slow which wouldnt be so bad, but they allow long ques to build up behind them by not pulling over and letting people pass. Its even less of a problem for me these days as I avoid driving when ever possible, but I used to be a petrol head. Long drives in the summer are not my thing anymore.

The best drivers I am not aware of. They tend to pass me without issue and therefore I wont take much notice. Bad drivers tend to be noticed and therefore remembered because they cause massive issues. Another way to look at it is on youtube. Loads of bad driving vids, but the only good driving clips will likely be copied from learning to drive vids. Nobody will upload a vid of a random driver doing absolutely nothing wrong or significant.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

MikeF

Post by MikeF »

"Watch the cyclist carefully just in case she wobbles". Nothing about how to overtake though. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
windysmithy

Post by windysmithy »

" I can't think why he should think i'm interested in his politics"

Classic jaguar driving bully.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Username wrote:
robing wrote:I think most lorry drivers are excellent. Many times I'll have one patiently waiting behind until it's safe to pass, and when they do they give me a very wide pass. Could teach other drivers a thing or two. (However in France I had a number of very close passes by lorries where I almost got sucked into their slipstream.) Worst drivers? Hard to say - wvm, mini cabs, 4x4s all candidates.

Caravanists are the worst along with horse box drivers. They drive far too slow which wouldnt be so bad, but they allow long ques to build up behind them by not pulling over and letting people pass. Its even less of a problem for me these days as I avoid driving when ever possible, but I used to be a petrol head. Long drives in the summer are not my thing anymore.

The best drivers I am not aware of. They tend to pass me without issue and therefore I wont take much notice. Bad drivers tend to be noticed and therefore remembered because they cause massive issues. Another way to look at it is on youtube. Loads of bad driving vids, but the only good driving clips will likely be copied from learning to drive vids. Nobody will upload a vid of a random driver doing absolutely nothing wrong or significant.

Too slow, what is too slow? Numbers please.
PhilWhitehurst

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

Those who are impatient, lack empathy, are overconfident, and believe they are always correct are the worst drivers.
Username

Post by Username »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Username wrote:

Too slow, what is too slow? Numbers please.

45mph in a 60 for example. Generally driving slow enough to form big ques of traffic behind you and cause frustration. Argue away.........
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

60 is the maximum, often it is not possible or safe to go that fast. I would much rather be behind someone doing 45 than in front of someone wanting to exceed the maximum. I "lose" a few seconds, even a few minutes and I save fuel and energy. When towing a heavy vehicle it may be legal/possible to go faster but there are good reasons not to. Safety, cost.

I know plenty of roads where most drivers exceed the maximum. It would be great to encounter more vehicles keeping well below the maximum, they might even bring the average within the law :)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Towing a caravan or trailer,is limited to 50mph(where the limit is 60) on single carriageway roads and 60mph on dual carriageways and motorways.
It should be noted that caravans will most likely be slower on inclines/hills and responsible drivers will pull over into a layby when available if they see they're collecting a line of cars behind them.
That said I wonder how many HGV's slow down traffic on single carriageway roads,I'd bet it'll be far more than caravans,and HGV's seldom pull over to allow traffic to clear.
TBH in over 40 years(blimey is it that long! :shock: )towing caravans,It's not often I can't move along with traffic flow,more so these days with more powerful modern towing cars.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

In response to the OP.

The worst drivers on the road are without doubt those on "the school run" with their precious cargo who sit there watching mummy or daddy perform some of the worst driving I've ever seen and then grow up to do exactly the same.

Make them walk, and if you're worried about the little dears, walk with them. Maybe then they would grow up healthier and more appreciative of other people instead of being isolated and "protected" from the real world.

Makes my blood boil.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The motorway is closed
The worst drivers are on the diversion through the villages, trying to avoid loosing precious seconds

Would be a great place and time for hidden safety cameras

There are two toy displays showing speeds for drivers without speedometers :?
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Wow - resurrect an 18 month old thread??