Who are the best/worst drivers on the road?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
peetee

Re: Who are the best/worst drivers on the road?

Post by peetee »

In a typical urban environment I would use my indicators regardless. They are there to inform everyone of your intentions not just road users. I don’t consider myself such a good driver as to assume I have spotted everything that is going on in a high street that might be temporarily clear of other moving vehicles but still occupied by pedestrians, occupants of parked cars or other instances I cannot think of now and therefore probably won’t anticipate ‘in the moment’.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

And typically you'd be absolutely right, agreed.
grufty

Post by grufty »

Currently
Worst- school run motorists
Best- drivers who choose to walk,scoot or cycle
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

peetee wrote:In a typical urban environment I would use my indicators regardless. They are there to inform everyone of your intentions not just road users. I don’t consider myself such a good driver as to assume I have spotted everything that is going on in a high street that might be temporarily clear of other moving vehicles but still occupied by pedestrians, occupants of parked cars or other instances I cannot think of now and therefore probably won’t anticipate ‘in the moment’.

Who is there other than road users - pedestrians are using the road as well...
In theory they have a dedicated portion, in practice motons assume it’s just free parking.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I nearly always indicate when driving, in case the Invisible Person is nearby

About the only situation I might not indicate is when turning off to the nearside, for fear a morton behind might think I were inviting them to overtake

What reasons do experts have for not indicating? One can never know whether the Invisible Person might be present. Even the best driving instructors do not have perfect knowledge :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What reasons do experts have for not indicating? One can never know whether the Invisible Person might be present. Even the best driving instructors do not have perfect knowledge :?

As far as I can gather, the argument appears to be that if you indicate when there's nobody around to see, it means that you aren't situationally aware.

I have no idea how that works.
peetee

Post by peetee »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
peetee wrote:In a typical urban environment I would use my indicators regardless. They are there to inform everyone of your intentions not just road users. I don’t consider myself such a good driver as to assume I have spotted everything that is going on in a high street that might be temporarily clear of other moving vehicles but still occupied by pedestrians, occupants of parked cars or other instances I cannot think of now and therefore probably won’t anticipate ‘in the moment’.

Who is there other than road users - pedestrians are using the road as well...
In theory they have a dedicated portion, in practice motons assume it’s just free parking.

Well, let’s not split hairs as to how to describe the individuals I referred to. I think it was fairly clear the sort of situations I was referring to but if you need further clarification consider that not every road situation is easy to read and people are fallible. Perhaps I haven’t noticed that that vehicle Is waiting to reverse out of the driveway ahead. It’s at right angle to me and the reversing light is not visible. An indication that I am turning before I get to her would give her the opportunity to start her manoeuvre. And that guy by the bus stop looking my way. He’s not looking for the next bus, one has just dropped him off, he wants to cross the road.... need I go on?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
rob_wales

Post by rob_wales »

https://www.cdc.gov/injury/features/global-road-safety/index.html

The best and only drivers will be self-drive cars. That will save most of the 1.35m deaths a year. Which is also good for cyclists. We need 5G.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Worst parkers are delivery drivers, they leave the engine running while delivering packages, pity the cops do not follow them about, and issue dozens of tickets

The offence can be stopped easily, but is reaching into the vehicle to turn the engine off an offence? Particularly bad in hilly places where one should always engage gear when leaving the vehicle
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Screenshot 2021-05-18 at 15.44.07.png

Interesting juxtaposition of threads!

"Journalists should consider whether language used negatively generalises a person or their behaviour as part of a ‘group’."

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Jdsk wrote: 18 May 2021, 3:46pm Screenshot 2021-05-18 at 15.44.07.png

Interesting juxtaposition of threads!

"Journalists should consider whether language used negatively generalises a person or their behaviour as part of a ‘group’."

Jonathan
My Irony Meter just went critical :lol:
Wipperman_95

Post by Wipperman_95 »

DaveReading wrote: 6 Sep 2020, 1:33pm
Cyril Haearn wrote:What reasons do experts have for not indicating? One can never know whether the Invisible Person might be present. Even the best driving instructors do not have perfect knowledge :?
As far as I can gather, the argument appears to be that if you indicate when there's nobody around to see, it means that you aren't situationally aware.

I have no idea how that works.
Yes, it's something like that. Whilst I'm not an advanced driver (well not yet) I've read 'Roadcraft' and watched plenty of (iAM/ Rospa) instructional videos on You Tube; the guidance seems to be 'only indicate if someone benefits from it'. It's to encourage people to think about their driving, and not be on 'autopilot' and indicate purely out of habit, when there's no reason to.

However, I've seen plenty of discussion/disagreement about this.....
Trek Crockett 4
Giant TCR Advanced
Raleigh Record Sprint 1990
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Maybe the Invisible Person (police officer) is hiding, observing and booking people who do not indicate. I think one should always indicate when driving, I should like to read arguments against. Hoping for entertainment, not nasty argument :wink:

Whatabout losing points for 'not making progress when it is safe to do so'? I know one may fail the driving test for going "too slow", is that a thing for "advanced" driving?
Grumpy-Grandad

Post by Grumpy-Grandad »

In my experience the worst class of drivers I had occasion to deal with and take action against were:

1. Private Hire Taxi drivers.
2. Driving Instructors when they didn't have a student in the car with them.

I dealt with all sorts but as a group those were the worst for prevalence of offences.
Steve
ClappedOut

Post by ClappedOut »

I often drive a commercial vehicle that makes a transit look like a toy for work.

Waiting for a nice wide pass often it is Taxi driver, school mums that are the worst trying to pass me as I wait for fellow cyclists to be safe to pass.

If it's my right of way I will write the vehicle off before I give way to bullies in Audi and those new rich 4x4 tinted things.

I've gone as far as locking vehicle with hazards on and walking away, 10feet and they stop messing about.

Even had to reverse a Freelander into a space as they couldn't reverse with camera fitted.

School mums are the worst
Taxi drivers seems to be a job for poorly skilled drivers who don't like exercise.

Van and HGV drivers are variable.

Then those who drive with mirrors folded in should be banned