Key Largo to Key West Florida

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

Key Largo to Key West Florida

Post by mercalia »

I was looking at the maps in Windows 8.1 and saw this highway causeway that bridges lots of islands from Florida, Key Largo to Key West. Any one here ever been on it. Must be an interesting ride, can do it by bike?
Vorpal

Re: Key Largo to Key West Florida

Post by Vorpal »

You can cycle it. There is also parallel railroad track that has been converted to cycle track for some of the distance.
http://www.traillink.com/trail/florida- ... trail.aspx

I've never done it, but I imagine it's a good ride :)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
irc

Post by irc »

Pyranha

Post by Pyranha »

I've driven there and back. The idea of riding it is pretty attractive as, in October at least, it was fairly quiet, and there seemed to be nice places to stop en route. Key West itself was nice - a bit of a slow town with a fair number of bike and electric vehicles (golf cart type). It's somewhere I definitely intend visiting again.
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

It's a beautiful road... Shallow blue seas, coral islands to stop at and clouds of pelicans to watch as you ride. When it rains it's incredible yet dries out almost instantaneously but the heat can be a drain if you don't choose the right time of year. Key West is a lovely town. I spent New Years Eve there in 1999 (a good time of year to do the ride) and stayed at the International Youth Hostel. The road is a highway, but quiet.

My most embarrassing story is from Key Largo (which is largely just hotels). I flew to Miami on a whim as the weather in Lancaster was so awful (and a friend had just been given a huge Christmas bonus and was happy to pay for a spontaneous holiday) and stayed on Key Largo for the first night. It's the only time I've ever sleep-walked... I woke at 3.00am, stark naked in the middle of the Route 1 Freeway with two traffic police officers shining torches at me and blue and red flashing lights blinding me. I'd managed to get about 300 metres down the road before they found me. AlI I had on was a pair of socks and was clutching a pillow! I was completely confused, had no idea where I was. They didn't even help me, just made me walk back to the hotel alone. My friend didn't believe me when I woke her until she saw the shredded socks the next morning.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Colin63 wrote:It's a beautiful road... Shallow blue seas, coral islands to stop at and clouds of pelicans to watch as you ride. When it rains it's incredible yet dries out almost instantaneously but the heat can be a drain if you don't choose the right time of year. Key West is a lovely town. I spent New Years Eve there in 1999 (a good time of year to do the ride) and stayed at the International Youth Hostel. The road is a highway, but quiet.

My most embarrassing story is from Key Largo (which is largely just hotels). I flew to Miami on a whim as the weather in Lancaster was so awful (and a friend had just been given a huge Christmas bonus and was happy to pay for a spontaneous holiday) and stayed on Key Largo for the first night. It's the only time I've ever sleep-walked... I woke at 3.00am, stark naked in the middle of the Route 1 Freeway with two traffic police officers shining torches at me and blue and red flashing lights blinding me. I'd managed to get about 300 metres down the road before they found me. AlI I had on was a pair of socks and was clutching a pillow! I was completely confused, had no idea where I was. They didn't even help me, just made me walk back to the hotel alone. My friend didn't believe me when I woke her until she saw the shredded socks the next morning.

:lol: lol must happen all the time there, maybe some thing in the water? :lol:

Good know about the YH
Beachboy

Post by Beachboy »

Drove down to Key West last Christmas and thought it would make an interesting ride across the separate cycle only bridges, then in the new year I was in Everglade City and found a leaflet about a local cycle group that has a trip down each year, that would be some ride, I think it was to an annual festival.
Jut a further addition to my bucket list.