Well, that was a first!!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Phil Fouracre

Well, that was a first!!

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Out for a ride this afternoon, along one of our local country lanes in lovely winter sunshine with the missus. Noticed a couple of deer in the field next to us, taking off, I guess spooked by us - was going to point them out to her, but, a bit late, and she wouldn't have seen them. Thought no more about it, then, probably fifty yards later, one straight out of the hedge right in front of her going at full tilt. Just as I braked for that one, crash, hit broadside, by the other one (there's always two :-) ) Don't you just love disc brakes! so lucky I'd almost stopped, I reckon with the force it hit me, it would have been really serious if I'd had any speed on. Amazing how hard it hit, was convinced it had damaged me and the bike - then felt so sorry for it, thrashing about in the road, had horrible visions of it there with a broken leg. It did manage to get up eventually and seemed OK when it ran off, we guessed just winded and probably scared witless. Bike ok, so carried on nursing a sore knee and ankle. It's not just the cars, watch out for the wildlife :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Threevok

Re: Well, that was a first!!

Post by Threevok »

Hell !!! and I thought I had problems with suicide squirrels and the odd owl :lol:

Glad you and the bike are OK though
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Glad you're ok.

Similar in the summer, riding along a straight bit of road had just been overtaking by a vehicle, it was probably not more than 2-3 secs ahead of me when a deer bounced of it's front wing did a sort pirouetting leap backwards, and managed to come down and complete it's crossing of the road in front of me and behind the car...... I never considered what might happen had it hit me.... I was still amused by it's antics to have got away with not being seriously hit..... it was only someone else who pointed out the possibliity.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

shame :( you could have taken home a bit of venison? well road kill :lol: thats what cycle trailers are for :idea:
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Glad that you and the bike are OK. I hope the deer's OK too.

I've only had a rat try to jump through my wheel only to be bounced back off the spokes. I was concerned about it, but it ran off. (In any case approaching wild rats can be dangerous as they bite and sometimes carry diseases.)
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Out for a ride this afternoon, along one of our local country lanes in lovely winter sunshine with the missus. Noticed a couple of deer in the field next to us, taking off, I guess spooked by us - was going to point them out to her, but, a bit late, and she wouldn't have seen them. Thought no more about it, then, probably fifty yards later, one straight out of the hedge right in front of her going at full tilt. Just as I braked for that one, crash, hit broadside, by the other one (there's always two :-) ) Don't you just love disc brakes! so lucky I'd almost stopped, I reckon with the force it hit me, it would have been really serious if I'd had any speed on. Amazing how hard it hit, was convinced it had damaged me and the bike - then felt so sorry for it, thrashing about in the road, had horrible visions of it there with a broken leg. It did manage to get up eventually and seemed OK when it ran off, we guessed just winded and probably scared witless. Bike ok, so carried on nursing a sore knee and ankle. It's not just the cars, watch out for the wildlife :-)
:shock:
If they were Fallow Deer then there are usually more than two.
On Ashdown Forest there is sign giving the number of deer road kills, and the figure is around 250/year. Yet there are people who are quite happy to drive at 60mph on the A22 and plough into half a ton or more. On the rest of the Forest the speed limit is 40mph, but collisions still occur.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
gaz

Post by gaz »

mercalia wrote:shame :( you could have taken home a bit of venison? well road kill :lol: thats what cycle trailers are for :idea:

'Tis the season :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Did wonder about venison :-) to be quite honest I was surprised at how big it was, only a roe deer, but! leg still uncomfortable.
Had rabbits and squirrels in the past, doesn't normally end well for them. Seriously though, will be a lot more respectful of the risk, although not sure what you could do, due to the sheer speed, bulk and surprise factor :-(
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Did wonder about venison :-) to be quite honest I was surprised at how big it was, only a roe deer, but! leg still uncomfortable.
Had rabbits and squirrels in the past, doesn't normally end well for them. Seriously though, will be a lot more respectful of the risk, although not sure what you could do, due to the sheer speed, bulk and surprise factor :-(

My friend who lives up north who decimates the local rabbit population for her freezer, would have jumped up and cudgeled the thing with her U lock before it escaped & phoned her dad to come with a van :lol: They have a large family gathering at xmas, would have been just the job
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

They're very stealthy, was cycling around my dad's farm with my son, he stopped at the end of the track, as I approached, a deer hopped through the wheat a few yards in front of him, he wasn't looking and didn't see it, it went through the hedge, so picked him up and ran the other side of the hedge, couldn't see it anywhere, walked into the field a little bit, then saw it, lying down in the hedge bottom, very hard to spot. As soon as it realised it was spotted it jumped up and ran off along the hedge.

I'm guessing they hear you coming, hide, hear you get nearer and nearer, decide you're coming for them so jump up to flee at the last moment.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
See them down the lanes all the time, I try not to fluster them by catching them.
Had one jump the hedge in front of camper on holiday, our dog tried to jump out of the open window whilst we were moving :lol:

My worst nightmare speeding down hill in the dark in the country like I do and hitting one, up to now it just squirrels :(
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Chap round here was knocked off his bike by a badger coming out of the hedge and running right into his bike whilst on the road at night- the cyclist was quite seriously injured. :( Adult badgers are pretty big and solid.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Yeah, that's what worried me most, how much worse it could have been. I guess a badger would equate to a deer weight wise, but, the deer would hit you higher up, well it did me! Judging by the pain in my ankle and hip, I would guess it's legs bashed my ankle against the crank, and, head/shoulder hit my hip and thigh. Think I'll take my shotgun out next time I cycle around there, although I'll probably never see another one :-)
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

It sounds like a nasty accident that could have been a lot worse - hope you're on the mend now.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Flinders wrote:It sounds like a nasty accident that could have been a lot worse - hope you're on the mend now.

Thanks, Yup! that's about it.
Hope it's just old age, but, everything's beginning to seize up now, reckon it hit me harder than I first thought :-)