I want one of these! Ubco 2x2

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia
Posts: 11347
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

I want one of these! Ubco 2x2

Postby mercalia » 12 Nov 2016, 10:48pm

Two wheels, two motors, no petrol, no noise. Ubco will redefine how you work and play outdoors.
Until I saw the price of £4000. But wow a big improvement over the normal fare?


http://www.50cycles.com/electric-bikes/ubco/ubco-2x2-electric-bike.html?utm_source=ZohoCampaigns&utm_campaign=Ubco+Launch+Email_2016-11-12_2&utm_medium=email

User avatar
CREPELLO
Posts: 5558
Joined: 29 Nov 2008, 12:55am

Re: I want one of these! Ubco 2x2

Postby CREPELLO » 12 Nov 2016, 11:06pm

What no pedals? Where's the fun in that?

MikeF
Posts: 3730
Joined: 11 Nov 2012, 9:24am
Location: On the borders of the four South East Counties

Re: I want one of these! Ubco 2x2

Postby MikeF » 12 Nov 2016, 11:14pm

mercalia wrote: But wow a big improvement over the normal fare?
In what way? Use on your South London Farm??
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master

mercalia
Posts: 11347
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: I want one of these! Ubco 2x2

Postby mercalia » 13 Nov 2016, 12:27pm

I am sure could be made road legal and any way I have a m/c licence would be a good alternative to my motorbike for running around on, far better than a e-bike or a moped. could have bright future as a new Boris Bike or commuter (I wonder if could be taken on trains?)

Roadster
Posts: 443
Joined: 26 Jul 2016, 2:12pm
Location: E.Lancs/W.Yorks border

Re: I want one of these! Ubco 2x2

Postby Roadster » 13 Nov 2016, 1:01pm

"Until I saw the price of £4000"

I don't see a price of £4000. I do see a price of £5000.

mercalia
Posts: 11347
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: I want one of these! Ubco 2x2

Postby mercalia » 13 Nov 2016, 3:05pm

Roadster wrote:"Until I saw the price of £4000"

I don't see a price of £4000. I do see a price of £5000.


you are quibbling over a 1000 - I stopped looking when I saw was it 4--- :lol:

User avatar
gaz
Posts: 13701
Joined: 9 Mar 2007, 12:09pm
Location: Kent, car park of England

Re: I want one of these! Ubco 2x2

Postby gaz » 13 Nov 2016, 3:25pm

mercalia wrote:I am sure could be made road legal ...

Either by making it a motorcycle with type approval, tax, insurance, MOT and helmet requirements, or by making it a pedelec by adding pedals and transmission together with the relevant motor-assisted speed restrictions. There may be some point in the former but the latter market is well served.
Hand wash only. Do not iron.

MarkF
Posts: 433
Joined: 4 Apr 2011, 10:20am

Re: I want one of these! Ubco 2x2

Postby MarkF » 13 Nov 2016, 6:41pm

Don't understand it, it makes no sense to me?

For £4k I could buy a vintage Vespa, range 130m+, 100+mpg, zero road tax and insurance sub £100, it would only go up in value too. But I already have one, so have bought a Suzuki Van Van for my winter commute, £15 road tax, 100+mpg and insurance sub £100.

£1200 for 2010 bike with 4000 miles.

Image

mercalia
Posts: 11347
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: I want one of these! Ubco 2x2

Postby mercalia » 13 Nov 2016, 8:15pm

MarkF wrote:Don't understand it, it makes no sense to me?

For £4k I could buy a vintage Vespa, range 130m+, 100+mpg, zero road tax and insurance sub £100, it would only go up in value too. But I already have one, so have bought a Suzuki Van Van for my winter commute, £15 road tax, 100+mpg and insurance sub £100.

£1200 for 2010 bike with 4000 miles.

Image


nice bike. what is it? ah Van Van is its name thought a dupe typo. 125cc then as the 200cc only just introduced to the UK this year? But most of those vintage vespa by now have worn out engines. what is yours? 125cc 200 cc 250?

My insurance for my 900cc is less than £100 in London so no big deal. road tax about £85/pa

pyruse
Posts: 54
Joined: 6 May 2011, 5:35pm

Re: I want one of these! Ubco 2x2

Postby pyruse » 14 Nov 2016, 2:22pm

That e-motorbike will be a lot quieter than a vintage Vespa.
The worst thing about some motorbikes is how hideously noisy they are (I realise the noise is part of the attraction for some).

Ruadh495
Posts: 413
Joined: 25 Jun 2016, 11:10am

Re: I want one of these! Ubco 2x2

Postby Ruadh495 » 14 Nov 2016, 3:42pm

I can see the point of that too. It's definitely a motorbike though, and a few hoops to jump through to get it road legal. As it is a motorbike you could go the SVA route...

MarkF
Posts: 433
Joined: 4 Apr 2011, 10:20am

Re: I want one of these! Ubco 2x2

Postby MarkF » 14 Nov 2016, 3:58pm

mercalia wrote: nice bike. what is it? ah Van Van is its name thought a dupe typo. 125cc then as the 200cc only just introduced to the UK this year? But most of those vintage vespa by now have worn out engines. what is yours? 125cc 200 cc 250?

My insurance for my 900cc is less than £100 in London so no big deal. road tax about £85/pa


I bought the Van Van because the Vespa is too valuable to leave outside work, I had an electric bike last year (just to see.........) but they just don't
make sense for me. Too slow, too expensive and with horrific residuals, I could run the Van Van for peanuts for 3 years and lose maybe £200/300.

Vespa's don't really suffer from "worn out" engines, they only have 3 moving parts in the top end, mine is a GL and runs perfectly.........on the original 1962 engine

mercalia
Posts: 11347
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: I want one of these! Ubco 2x2

Postby mercalia » 14 Nov 2016, 5:00pm

MarkF wrote:
mercalia wrote: nice bike. what is it? ah Van Van is its name thought a dupe typo. 125cc then as the 200cc only just introduced to the UK this year? But most of those vintage vespa by now have worn out engines. what is yours? 125cc 200 cc 250?

My insurance for my 900cc is less than £100 in London so no big deal. road tax about £85/pa


I bought the Van Van because the Vespa is too valuable to leave outside work, I had an electric bike last year (just to see.........) but they just don't
make sense for me. Too slow, too expensive and with horrific residuals, I could run the Van Van for peanuts for 3 years and lose maybe £200/300.

Vespa's don't really suffer from "worn out" engines, they only have 3 moving parts in the top end, mine is a GL and runs perfectly.........on the original 1962 engine


well big end bearings can wear out and also the bores. when I had a 2 stroke triple after about 30,000 miles the big end bearings were quite lose and i think about to break up. for some reason didnt use needle bearings just the ball type - I was glad some one stole it out side my flat, didnt have to take it to a breakers :lol:

I think i read some where that the makers of the Vespa have brought out one that is electric - looks like the real thing just dont use petrol.

andrewk
Posts: 354
Joined: 20 May 2011, 3:19pm
Location: SW London

Re: I want one of these! Ubco 2x2

Postby andrewk » 14 Nov 2016, 6:49pm

Ubco 2x2 is too expensive v motorbikes plus it has weak cycle parts as against sturdy motorcycle parts....as MarkF wrote just buy a Van Van...cheaper, sturdier and more capable.