One solution to tailgating?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Re: One solution to tailgating?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

This is a problem in the food store too. I always take a trolley and stand in front of it when waiting to pay. But often the consumer behind me bumps my trolley and asks me to shove my stuff forward so he can can put his on the belt.

Today one even spoke to me. Next time I will pretend not to understand, I will answer in French: *je ne comprend pas, il faut attendre! *

There are many parallels to bullying on the road. Any other suggestions?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

It's not just a motorised vehicle issue - i've been tailgate on my bike by another bike more than once.

Tried the slowing technique but follower too stupid to notice until I was almost stopped. Another occasion got sworn at because I slowed down as he wasn't able to slipstream me - bear in mind it was uphill and I was doing all of 10mph!

If I invite you to ride there fine, if not don't do it. I try not to sit behind others on the same basis to the point of me slowing down.

The only time I don't bide by that tenet is in a 'competitive' event where it's sort of expected!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
millimole

Post by millimole »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Today one even spoke to me. Next time I will pretend not to understand, I will answer in French: *je ne comprend pas, il faut attendre! *
?

[pedantry alert] shouldn't that be 'on faut attendre'?

You can easlily remove the Tapatalk spam using settings on YOUR phone
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

As my mate says when he slows down due to a tailgater "I'm braking for two".
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

In my younger days I used to drop down a gear, hit the brake pedal fiercely and quickly follow it with the accelerator. Now I just take pressure off the accelerator to drop speed by about 10-20mph, hold for a few seconds and then return to normal speed while reciting my mantra "If you can't match your spacing to my speed, then I'll match my speed to your spacing". Repeat with increasing duration hold as required.
Sometimes it works, often it does not. I think that the motorists who do this are just completely unaware of what they are doing. That's how they drive.
Fitting rear firing Exocet next week :twisted:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Alan D wrote:In my younger days I used to drop down a gear, hit the brake pedal fiercely and quickly follow it with the accelerator. Now I just take pressure off the accelerator to drop speed by about 10-20mph, hold for a few seconds and then return to normal speed while reciting my mantra "If you can't match your spacing to my speed, then I'll match my speed to your spacing". Repeat with increasing duration hold as required.
Sometimes it works, often it does not. I think that the motorists who do this are just completely unaware of what they are doing. That's how they drive.
Fitting rear firing Exocet next week :twisted:

It almost never works

Indeed, most do not think at all about what they are doing. I do though, if the vehicle in front brakes I drop back. Infuriates the normal driver behind even more

Truckers are the worst. Often the only way to shake these terrorists off is to let them by: get thee before me, Satan!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Depending on how the hug has approached I may or may not force them down through the years. It could be that they are slowing, but the min distance got an it close for comfort. At which point the distance is about to open up again. That's tolerable, if suboptimal, and slowing down in front of them is hardly a careful and considerate approach to road use.

If they sit at that distance then you're not just braking for two any more, one of the two is huge
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
jeremy1

Post by jeremy1 »

I have a HD GoPro on the back of my cars tailgate and TWO signs one either side of the back

In three years since fitting the signs I have only had one (female) who refused to back off until I did 15mph some DO come close and either see it and DO back off as the go pros light is flashing OR I point backward out of the window and they back off

[Image[/URL][/img]
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

jeremy1 wrote:I have a HD GoPro on the back of my cars tailgate and TWO signs one either side of the back

In three years since fitting the signs I have only had one (female) who refused to back off until I did 15mph some DO come close and either see it and DO back off as the go pros light is flashing OR I point out of the window and they back off

[Image[/URL][/img]

+1!

Is it legal?
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 23 Mar 2017, 5:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeremy1

Post by jeremy1 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:This is a problem in the food store too. I always take a trolley and stand in front of it when waiting to pay. But often the consumer behind me bumps my trolley and asks me to shove my stuff forward so he can can put his on the belt.

Today one even spoke to me. Next time I will pretend not to understand, I will answer in French: *je ne comprend pas, il faut attendre! *

There are many parallels to bullying on the road. Any other suggestions?

why is it that most men have their money ready to pay but women never bother to get their purse out until they finish packing even when they have been standing in the queue
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

Because they're clever enough to figure out that money sitting their hand is easy to snatch whereas a purse hidden the coat/bag isn't.
My wallet stays in my coat until it's needed. The impatient person behind me can wait a few seconds.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I used to drive a VW Type2. Virtually no hassle. I then got a Transit. No hassle at all. Changed to Bedford Rascal and everybody just had to pass. I now have a coachbuilt motorhome with same result. My average speed in all cases is pretty much the same,in fact the M/H is faster than the VW but the perception of following drivers is that you must be slow and they must pass at all costs. I have been about 4th in a line of slow traffic so cannot pass anyway. Eventually the front driver turns off and second car shoots off. It could have overtaken several times but just followed the boot in front probably out of incompetence or just laziness. Statistically I suppose there are large numbers of incompetents out there who just cannot get their heads round safe driving at any speed.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

ambodach wrote:there are large numbers of incompetents out there who just cannot get their heads round safe driving at any speed.

Indeed.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

I was Royal Navy and my Wife ws a Naval Nurse (QARNNS)

At that time, they wore the same hats as WPCs just with a different band

A lot of the girls (and us) used to place an old hat on the parcel shelf.... and it was a marvellous deterrent
drossall

Post by drossall »

A former colleague who rode motorbikes told me that he and many others would dress to look as much as possible like a policeman without actually getting arrested for impersonation. No more hi-vis than any other motorcyclist, but did wonders for visibility.