One solution to tailgating?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

One solution to tailgating?

Post by mercalia »

I wont spoil your read by saying what it is

just that I would keep atleast 100m, away from this car?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-38122195
Cyril Haearn

Re: One solution to tailgating?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I have twice seen a sticker: "the closer you get, the slower I go". The second time in English on a German vehicle in Germany.

One cannot change the laws of physics*. And one probably can not teach the average tailgater to read.

* a song from Star Trek-the next line is:
It's worse than that, he's dead Jim. How appropriate.
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 30 Nov 2016, 4:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Neilo

Post by Neilo »

Another solution is Caltrops :twisted:
If it aint broke, fix it til it is.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I have twice seen a sticker: "the closer you get, the slower I go".

I was once driving a minibus full of Scouts round the ring road in Birmingham. A lorry tail-gated me. I was already in the inside lane, so had nowhere to go. In the end I did slow down slightly, on the premise that at least I could stop slowly if anything happened in front, and have less chance of the lorry hitting me from behind.

As it happened, not too long afterwards I was due to renew my minibus driver assessment. The assessor was an former Police driving instructor. I related this tale to see if he had any suggestions, but he agreed that there wasn't much else to do.

So, yes, tail-gate me and I'll probably slow down. If I'm in something fast enough, I may then speed up again and see if you get the message. If you don't, I'll slow down enough to compensate for your incompetence.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I slow down too, just to give myself a greater stopping distance. My thinking is I will accept being rear ended in a car accident but I don't want the extra hassle of a third party if I got nudged into the car ahead.

If the car behind gets the hint I'm happy to slowly move up to my normal, safe stopping distance. If not then the tailgating car can always overtake me. I have no problem since it moves the problem one place further away from affecting me. Better a dodgy driver is ahead of you IMHO. I won't make it easy or hard for them to pass though. I'll just.drive in the same manner and it's up to the driver to make the overtake not mine to help.

If the tailgate car remains behind me then we'll all be going slower to be safer.
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

The MiDAS instructor here actually teaches it: If you are being tailgated, slow down. It's a pity tailgaters can't work it out.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Drive a converted hearse, it is practical if one has too many bikes. Put a sticker on the back - "discounts for speeders and tailgaters".
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ruadh495 wrote:The MiDAS instructor here actually teaches it: If you are being tailgated, slow down. It's a pity tailgaters can't work it out.

No, the mustards stick close behind even on busy winding single-carriageways where there is no chance to pass. I gladly let them by but that does not help at all because the next terrorist appears in the mirror a few seconds later.
james01

Post by james01 »

Tailgaters are so obsessed with sticking to the back of the car in front that they fail to note the bigger picture, eg traffic a few cars ahead slowing . Funniest incidents were when I used to drop off a friend regularly ,indicating and pulling carefully into the kerb to let him out. Many a tailgater ended up trapped being me as more sensible motorists following at a reasonable distance were able to drive around us.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

They're a strange bunch(the tailgaters). I can see some want to overtake on the inside,they're that desperate. Truble is there's a row of solid trees on the inside,or a 6' ditch,or concrete bollards. Yup,the more they tailgate the slower I go++. Crackers.
robing

Post by robing »

With a car tailgating you, it's generally safer to let them pass. If it's a lorry, then slow right down. They'll have to downshift through the gears and then you can safely accelerate away.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

If I'm being tailgated while driving, I just let my speed drop and ensure I have a bigger distance than usual to the vehicle in front, on the basis that if I do have to brake Imay have to slow down the tail gaters vehicle as well as my own!
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
millimole

Re: RE: Re: One solution to tailgating?

Post by millimole »

Ruadh495 wrote:The MiDAS instructor here actually teaches it: If you are being tailgated, slow down. It's a pity tailgaters can't work it out.

This was exactly the advice given to 'a good friend of mine' when the subject came up on a speed awareness course. Just keep slowing down, and stop if need be - yes, even on the motorway hard shoulder apparently.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly using hovercraft full of eels.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

This was always the advice as far as I remember - slow down, so that in the event that you have a problem and have to react to something happening in front of you, it can be in a controlled manner to allow the idiot behind you time to stop.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

In daylight, flick your sidelights on. They think you are braking and stamp on their brakes while you drive calmy away.