One solution to tailgating?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
brooksby

Re: One solution to tailgating?

Post by brooksby »

Vorpal wrote:
Mike Sales wrote:
Only a fool breaks the two second rule

Estimating distances is, I suspect, a skill beyond many drivers. Perhaps they can count "one thousand, two thousand."

That's what I do, if I'm not sure. It's, IMO, the best way to judge following distance, and something that anyone who is capable of driving should be capable of doing, even if they arenæt very good at distances.

And it's at least 3 thousands in rain or other reduced traction conditions.

I always do this. Especially on straight roads, where your speed can unintentionally "creep". Note a particular bush or puddle, count one thousand-two thousand (three thousand).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Best to leave a much bigger gap than two seconds
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Best to leave a much bigger gap than two seconds

Quite so. Why bother with the impossible task of estimating "my braking distance" to the car in front then trying to place oneself exactly at this theoretical but elusive distance? Personally I leave "a long way" as the distance to any car in front I'm happy to emulate the speed of. This is generally at least one hundred yards on all but motorway or motorway-style roads (where it's more like 300 yards; or more).

In practice, you reach the same destination about 5 - 10 seconds after the fellow in front, rather after the 0.5 seconds of the tailgater. Is this a great loss to one's life, somehow, when other interesting things could be done instead with the 5 seconds? Hardly.

Many want to overtake, of course. Even those who don't go loon (doing it on the blind bend, humphill, approaching-a-junction or other asking-for-it place) often have no idea how to do overtaking. They think it will be a speedier matter if they get one yard from your rear bumper before pulling out and accelerating past (eventually). Of course, it takes far less time if the acceleration period occurs on the right (I mean the left) side of the road first before reaching the car to be overtaken and pulling out for a far briefer period. Ask any traffic rozzer.

Does no one ever really learn to drive well these days? Proper driving seems such a rarity.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If there is any significant amount of traffic, the braking distance is frequently being taken by people who think the gap is big enough to move into. I often end up going somewhat less than the speed limit because people change lanes directly into the space in front of me without enough braking distance for either of us. I subsequently slow down, and as soon as the gap is back up to 2 or 3 seconds, someone else moves into it :roll:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

^^ vorpal.
I agree.
It is just one of those things in heavy traffic.

To some extent it is a necessary "spreading" of the traffic.
Entry points such as short motorway slip roads in intense traffic require the taking of available space and decision time can be very limited.

Sometimes I am in awe of the skill and concentration of all those brains to maintain flow without collision!!

Speed is the big variable here, as are weather/surface conditions plus extra hazards such as temporary lanes etc. Vehicle type and loading are also a big factors.

To merely rely on time counting a gap is perhaps not the best way of determining what is safe. A three second gap at 130 kph is different to one at 80kph in terms of overall efficacy.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Vorpal wrote:If there is any significant amount of traffic, the braking distance is frequently being taken by people who think the gap is big enough to move into. I often end up going somewhat less than the speed limit because people change lanes directly into the space in front of me without enough braking distance for either of us. I subsequently slow down, and as soon as the gap is back up to 2 or 3 seconds, someone else moves into it :roll:

I used to get annoyed about that, until I started thinking about it from the other angle - in order to physically prevent someone moving into the gap ahead of you, how close would you have to be to the car in front? Answer: suicidally close.

Yes, you have to lift off to restore the space ahead of you if someone jumps into it. No, it's not a big deal when you consider the alternative.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-50306577

Essex BMW driver wedged bed upright in back of convertible
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

DaveReading wrote:
Vorpal wrote:If there is any significant amount of traffic, the braking distance is frequently being taken by people who think the gap is big enough to move into. I often end up going somewhat less than the speed limit because people change lanes directly into the space in front of me without enough braking distance for either of us. I subsequently slow down, and as soon as the gap is back up to 2 or 3 seconds, someone else moves into it :roll:

I used to get annoyed about that, until I started thinking about it from the other angle - in order to physically prevent someone moving into the gap ahead of you, how close would you have to be to the car in front? Answer: suicidally close.

Yes, you have to lift off to restore the space ahead of you if someone jumps into it. No, it's not a big deal when you consider the alternative.

First rule of motoring - if there's a gap fill it.
Applied everyday. :roll:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Debs

Post by Debs »

MikeF wrote:
DaveReading wrote:

A couple of weeks ago in my car i drove along the M5 [ near Worcester? ] to include the down hilly part where there are chevrons painted on the road, and with road signs that warn to Keep Two Chevrons Apart. However i found, even tho' it was raining fairly hard, every time i briefly glimpsed two chevrons between me and vehicle in front; a tailgating vehicle would overtake and cut-in to my 'braking distance', often just a few meters in front. So i would lift off [from 70mph to 65mph] to allow another two chevron gap to appear, but before this could happen the next tailgating vehicle would do exactly the same overtake and cut in far too closely.
Up ahead i could see dozens of vehicles seemingly 'jostling for position' only half a chevron apart, many doing more than 70mph and all in the pouring rain. Complete and utter madness. I decided to quit the wacky races and used the slow lane at around 60mph with a couple of seconds distance behind a big trucker :|
mjr

Post by mjr »

Vorpal wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Just been out in my motor again, had not used it for nearly two months :)

Do you ever have problems with it? I worry about mine not starting when it has sat in front of the house for weeks. I try to run it once every couple of weeks.

After killing a couple of batteries a few years ago (it seems electronics and alarms mean the car's never completely off), mine has a solar trickle charger on its dashboard when parked at home. No problems starting it since fitting it.

Cyril Haearn wrote:Might one fail a driving test for not following the vehicle in front closely enough?

Yes. In fact, I did. I had eased off pulling away from some traffic lights because I suspected from the manner of driving that the motorist ahead was about to make a very sharp left turn into a big industrial site and they did. It was a road I cycled often and was well aware of ways of getting caught out braking and then accelerating, wasting energy and possibly starting a phantom jam. However, the examiner marked it as an extreme "failure to make progress" fault and failed me for it. My instructor advised me not to appeal because word would get around, there was no alternative test centre for hours around and I would easily pass next time with a different examiner - which I did.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

MOARspeed wrote:A lot of people are simply trying to drive to the highway code.

On my driving days I have to join a fast flowing 70 limit dual-carriageway, the slip lane is two lanes and I regularly find someone dawdling down that slip lane at 35mph, i'll get close at first because i'm expecting them to accelerate, I give them a chance, then i'll overtake, but 9 times in 10 they get all offended by this and start sounding their horn, flashing lights, etc etc.

Where does it tell you to do that in the highway code?!?

I often dawdle down a slip lane because I'm trying to create enough space between me and the car ahead so I can accelerate to match traffic on the through road and merge smoothly. It seems like many motorists can't merge for toffee.

MOARspeed wrote:The thing is, it's not always about pressure, it can often be about safety, you don't enter a 70 limit dual carriageway at just 35mph, you're going to cause chaos at best, or a very serious accident at worst.

It's not about the limit. It's about what speed the traffic on there is currently doing. I've joined the M5 at 5mph on summer Saturdays far too often. But I think you know that and just worded it badly.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Debs wrote:
MikeF wrote:
DaveReading wrote:I used to get annoyed about that, until I started thinking about it from the other angle - in order to physically prevent someone moving into the gap ahead of you, how close would you have to be to the car in front? Answer: suicidally close.

A couple of weeks ago in my car i drove along the M5 [ near Worcester? ] to include the down hilly part where there are chevrons painted on the road, and with road signs that warn to Keep Two Chevrons Apart. However i found, even tho' it was raining fairly hard, every time i briefly glimpsed two chevrons between me and vehicle in front; a tailgating vehicle would overtake and cut-in to my 'braking distance', often just a few meters in front. So i would lift off [from 70mph to 65mph] to allow another two chevron gap to appear, but before this could happen the next tailgating vehicle would do exactly the same overtake and cut in far too closely.
Up ahead i could see dozens of vehicles seemingly 'jostling for position' only half a chevron apart, many doing more than 70mph and all in the pouring rain. Complete and utter madness. I decided to quit the wacky races and used the slow lane at around 60mph with a couple of seconds distance behind a big trucker :|

Proof indeed. However it doesn't have to be fast moving motor traffic where this rule applies. It applies to slow traffic as well. :roll:

Shouldn't it be 4 chevrons apart in the rain? 2 is for dry weather. Lanes, apart from the nearside one, are for overtaking. Where the concept of slow and fast lanes arises I don't know. The "slow" lane can often be the fastest. Most lorries are governed to 56mph (in spite of denial by many car drivers) because that equates to 90Kph, even though the actual motorway speed limit for them in the UK is 60mph
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

First, second, third lane of course
Better to leave much more room
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
robing

Post by robing »

Worst offenders for tailgating on motorways are National Express coach drivers. Seen some really dangerous driving from them.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I definitely think that drafting (as I prefer to call it) helps my mpg, especially at higher speeds.