One solution to tailgating?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
GrumpyGit

Re: One solution to tailgating?

Post by GrumpyGit »

Mistik-ka wrote:And for the last word in the prevention of tailgating:

I want one of those!!!

Failing that, my 40+ year old Land-Rover with a large Dixon-Bate double tow hitch on the back, that will do a lot of damage to any modern flimsy car! :P
Derek - The enlightened petrolhead ;)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I'm sure I've relayed the story of my brother getting tailgated so badly that he could only see a line of red at the bottom of his RVM. He braked - I can't recall what he saw on the road - and the steel step at the rear of his FourTrak cut the radiator of the following BMW in half laterally.

No damage to the FourTrack at all...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I'm sure I've moaned about this before, but I pull a trailer on a daily basis. Many drivers make exactly zero compensation for that fact and drive behind me as if the trailer was the invisible. Maybe it is. It needs a wash.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

[XAP]Bob wrote:I'm sure I've relayed the story of my brother getting tailgated so badly that he could only see a line of red at the bottom of his RVM. He braked - I can't recall what he saw on the road - and the steel step at the rear of his FourTrak cut the radiator of the following BMW in half laterally.

My son was driving my car (Jag X-type estate) and stalled it at a junction, the idiot behind ran into the back of us. My car has a tow bar with a detachable ball but I keep it on because I have a ball-attachable bike carrier. So there was no damage to my car but his front bumper and radiator grill were mangled. Quite satisfying really since the (expletive deleted) had been tailgating us for a mile or two.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

tykeboy2003 wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:I'm sure I've relayed the story of my brother getting tailgated so badly that he could only see a line of red at the bottom of his RVM. He braked - I can't recall what he saw on the road - and the steel step at the rear of his FourTrak cut the radiator of the following BMW in half laterally.

My son was driving my car (Jag X-type estate) and stalled it at a junction, the idiot behind ran into the back of us. My car has a tow bar with a detachable ball but I keep it on because I have a ball-attachable bike carrier. So there was no damage to my car but his front bumper and radiator grill were mangled. Quite satisfying really since the (expletive deleted) had been tailgating us for a mile or two.

Yes - tow bars are good.
My brother used to do alot of sailing, so had a tow bar on his mini (the proper mini, not the modern juggernaut by the same name) when at uni.
He was rear ended by a larger car doing 30 whilst he was stopped at red lights with 4 people in the car. The whole chassis was bent beyond repair - and the garage reckoned that the additional bracing from the tow bar had probably contributed significantly to the lack of serious injuries...

On the basis that the chassis had bent quite badly I am inclined to agree with their conclusion.

No idea what the damage was to the other car - but I rather like tow bars...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
iow

Post by iow »

in the car, i just let them by, when safe. although It's not an issue around these parts, as long as you keep up with traffic flow and don't pull out in front of other drivers and continue at half their speed.
i'll stop riding my motorbike is I find myself going slow enough to be tailgated...
mark
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Should we be ashamed that cycles have been used in war?

Alternative facts welcome
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Now that the days are longer it is really disagreeable to be followed by vehicles with bright headlights

Lights on, brain off

I would like to have really bright dazzling rear lights, they would switch on automatically when the vehicle behind gets too close and then get brighter and brighter
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

The mind boggles. :?
rick99

Post by rick99 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Now that the days are longer it is really disagreeable to be followed by vehicles with bright headlights

Lights on, brain off

I would like to have really bright dazzling rear lights, they would switch on automatically when the vehicle behind gets too close and then get brighter and brighter

This would be against the law.
I think the moderators should take this post down for advocating dangerous and illegal behaviour.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

rick99 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Now that the days are longer it is really disagreeable to be followed by vehicles with bright headlights

Lights on, brain off

I think the moderators should take this post down for advocating dangerous and illegal behaviour.

It's a composting toilet -> my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels

What else can I do?

I advocate a change in the law. If my rear light dazzles the driver behind can easily drop back but if I try to accelerate away he will too
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I would like to have really bright dazzling rear lights, they would switch on automatically when the vehicle behind gets too close and then get brighter and brighter
Too expensive because this would have to contain speed sensors, probably by GPS, because of course "too close" is dependant upon speed. "Too close" in a 50mph descent is very different to that at 10 mph.

Law also tells you not to dazzle other road users.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

tatanab wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I would like to have really bright dazzling rear lights, they would switch on automatically when the vehicle behind gets too close and then get brighter and brighter
Too expensive because this would have to contain speed sensors, probably by GPS, because of course "too close" is dependant upon speed. "Too close" in a 50mph descent is very different to that at 10 mph.

Law also tells you not to dazzle other road users.

They dazzle me from behind all the time, I would like to dazzle back. They could easily avoid this by dropping back. I cannot avoid it by going faster
rick99

Post by rick99 »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
rick99 wrote:

Lights on, brain off

It's a composting toilet -> my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels

What else can I do?

I advocate a change in the law. If my rear light dazzles the driver behind can easily drop back but if I try to accelerate away he will too

I was being facetious after mybreoeated deletions on the other thread. I'm totally happy to put my rear fog lights on in a similar situation in my car . I think it's a good idea

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels