One solution to tailgating?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Littgull

Re: One solution to tailgating?

Post by Littgull »

DaveGos wrote:Driving home locally one evening in the dark I had a tailgater, so as I normally do I slowed down , only to be overtaken and the overtaking car was a police car , who stopped and breathalysed me, The breath test showed up as zero , which I was a little perturbed at as I had drunk one pint of been in a pub an hour ago. I almost went back to the pub to complain that perhaps they were watering the beer down

Sorry, I've just re-read your post and you have said you were 'driving'.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Littgull wrote:
DaveGos wrote:Driving home locally one evening in the dark I had a tailgater, so as I normally do I slowed down , only to be overtaken and the overtaking car was a police car , who stopped and breathalysed me, The breath test showed up as zero , which I was a little perturbed at as I had drunk one pint of been in a pub an hour ago. I almost went back to the pub to complain that perhaps they were watering the beer down

Did the Police give a reason for breathalysing you? Surely they weren't claiming you were wrongly going too slow on a bike!!

Driving home
Littgull

Post by Littgull »

De Sisti wrote:
Littgull wrote:

Did the Police give a reason for breathalysing you? Surely they weren't claiming you were wrongly going too slow on a bike!!

Driving home

De Sisti...see and read above post!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just been out in my motor again, had not used it for nearly two months :)

I am getting more relaxed with age, I do not bother trying to "communicate" by touching the brake when some twit follows too close for I know it does not work, I just take my foot off the gas and lose speed, Plus One, I save fuel too
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Just been out in my motor again, had not used it for nearly two months :)

Do you ever have problems with it? I worry about mine not starting when it has sat in front of the house for weeks. I try to run it once every couple of weeks.
That has actually taken some effort this summer, as with the nice weather, we hardly used the car. Even the kids wanted to walk and cycle everywhere.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Just been out in my motor again, had not used it for nearly two months :)

Do you ever have problems with it? I worry about mine not starting when it has sat in front of the house for weeks. I try to run it once every couple of weeks.
That has actually taken some effort this summer, as with the nice weather, we hardly used the car. Even the kids wanted to walk and cycle everywhere.

55 days not driven, very warm weather, I engaged gear and tried to rock it before starting but the handbrake had stuck, not necessary..
Started immediately, drove 40+km no problem
In the snowy winters a few years ago I did not drive for months, battery was flat, had to call the rescue

I would park on a hill if possible, cannae you do that in Norway? :wink:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I would park on a hill if possible, cannae you do that in Norway? :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Cunobelin wrote:I was Royal Navy and my Wife ws a Naval Nurse (QARNNS)

At that time, they wore the same hats as WPCs just with a different band

A lot of the girls (and us) used to place an old hat on the parcel shelf.... and it was a marvellous deterrent

I have a hi-vis vest with text visible on the parcel shelf
Maybe mortons think I am a PsP, police-shaped-person, even if they cannae read
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 10 Oct 2019, 1:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

When driving I used to leave plenty of room to the vehicle in front, 200 m maybe, on a winding road it often went out of sight. No need to close up, no need to overtake, usually trying to do so would be madness
A passenger once asked me why I left such a big gap
How might one explain?
robing

Post by robing »

Cyril Haearn wrote:When driving I used to leave plenty of room to the vehicle in front, 200 m maybe, on a winding road it often went out of sight. No need to close up, no need to overtake, usually trying to do so would be madness
A passenger once asked me why I left such a big gap
How might one explain?

What do you do when someone is tailgating you?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Touch the the brake, slow down if they do not drop back as discussed above
drossall

Post by drossall »

Yes, I discussed that once with a former police driving instructor when renewing my minibus permit. Not too long before, I'd had the frightening experience of driving a bus full of Scouts, with a lorry tail-gating me. I was in the inside lane, with nowhere to go. We agreed that the only available response was to slow down gently, in order to have enough stopping distance ahead to stop slowly in an emergency, and give the idiot behind more time to react.

If the response is for the driver behind to overtake into the gap, so much the better.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

robing wrote:What do you do when someone is tailgating you?

Let them crash :wink:

8-9 years back I suffered the experience of being passed by a convey of 10-12 cars/SUV's on a dead straight moor road. They were all tailgating each other, rather than me, but no surprise when that standard of driving resulted in a number passing me on the bike with inches to spare :x

But on cresting the summit a few hundred feet ahead, I had the glorious spectacle of noting that every single vehicle had crashed into the one ahead. I can still recall the positive boost it gave me (NB. It was apparent that it was probably all superficial damage, so I carried on regardless, one sheepish driver of a SUV givng me a wave :wink: ). Didn't come across another vehicle for 2-3 miles, at which point 3-4 police vehicles and a couple of ambulances all appeared, heading towards the crash site
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Schadenfreude Plus One, just damage to vehicles, one wonders whether they learnt from their experience
One doubts it somehow :?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Schadenfreude Plus One, just damage to vehicles, one wonders whether they learnt from their experience
One doubts it somehow :?

All them shunters will have found one at the front to blame. But how can any of them be wrong if they own a SUV? Everyone knows that SUV purchasers are wholly rational at all time. especially when listening to the advertman then rushing out to buy one.

Tailgaters are legion these days. They are on a mission, possibly to get home in time to watch a soap opera, so they know how to behave (shout a lot and abuse the neighbours). Some merely wish to indicate to you that "I could drive along here much faster than you, girlyman".

I would like a rear sign thing I can message them with. "Please pass so you'll have your crash elsewhere". Or perhaps something simpler such as "Go away" or words to that effect. :-)

In practice, best to ignore them and continue to drive with care and attention, especially through the speed limits which advise a maximum not a minimum, which minimum may well be a lot less than the maximum, to keep the bairns, cats and grannies safe as they cross the road. The tailgater will just have to miss the first bit of Beast Renders, which is anyway the same as last week's episode; and every other episode.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes