Wireless shifting for the masses $199

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

Re: Wireless shifting for the masses $199

Postby mercalia » 1 Dec 2016, 6:23pm

The utility cyclist wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:I think one of the points about it is that, unlike conventional systems, it needs no adjustment. As for battery life, obviously it depends on the weather and how often you shift (just like a cable then) but certainly people have done LEL on one charge. I don't know how long it takes to recharge or whether, in extremis, you can just put a new battery in.

Rubbish - it will take just as much adjusting as any other setup on installation.

You have electronic set up and mechanical to compare? Ask ANY bike mechanic in a shop that will get both types ih, ask any racing team mechanic in competitive racing how much time they save by having electronic groupsets in the ranks as opposed to mechanical.

Rubbishing something as many on here do without actually having the system and understanding what it is trying to do/offer is rather silly. You can put forward an arguement to say 'well'because of X' and that's great, discussing pros and cons is what good discussions are about and seeing things from other people's POV, however just saying this is this without any proof (much like X light is no good in foggy conditions discussion/Alu & carcon are no good/dangerous/too flexy for long steerers on forks) is not helpful and shows a narrow viewpoint of the person not willing to put forward any hard evidence.

I think the point is that this isnt a pure electronic system as it still pulls a cable how ever short

The utility cyclist

Postby The utility cyclist » 1 Dec 2016, 8:25pm

And as pointed out, the cable is so short as not not need adjustment because it doesn't stretch.
Still, as I said at the top of the thread, some whom are clearly against certain things that others chose to purchase will get their knickers in a twist over it.

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 1 Dec 2016, 9:06pm

My point is that the adjustment is limited to setup - it doesn't disappear.

Note how much adjustment is needed on a friction DT levers - even less. Only the high and low stop screws.

On the electric shifter there will have to be some setup alignment - and personally I find that setup alignment is 99% of all the adjustment I ever have to do.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

syklist

Postby syklist » 2 Dec 2016, 10:32am

Flinders wrote:And when it fails, or the battery runs out...

I'm sure they are fine for racing, where people have support vehicles, fine for the mechanically inept who can't mange two simple levers (heavens help us)

While I was able to manage two simple levers (well, four actually as I had indexed derailleurs), I much prefer the ease of use of a Rohloff any day. Fatigue at the end of a long days cycle lead me to mis-shift a lot, and/or forget which gear I was actually in. So I might be on the largest cogs front and back and not immediately understand why trying to change into a lower gear at the rear did not work. Or vice versa. If I had been able to remember exactly which gear I was in at all times, whilst enjoying fantastic scenery for example, then maybe I would never have bought my first Rohloff.

I fix my own cars and bikes and pretty much anything else we own, so am not mechanically inept. But derailleurs are certainly not the easiest gear system to use.
So long and thanks for all the fish...

MikeF

Postby MikeF » 4 Dec 2016, 3:06pm

Some answers to questions raised here on their website. Note the battery has a micro USB connector so a spare one could be charged via a (hub) generator. It doesn't say it will work with a hub gear, but in principle I can't see why.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master

MikeF

Postby MikeF » 4 Dec 2016, 3:13pm

mercalia wrote:whats the point as they are " pulling a small length of cable to actuate the derailleurs" which my hands do for free :lol:
Probably the same point as using an electric starter for a car instead of a starting handle or an automatic gearbox instead of a manual one. :wink:

rfryer

Re: RE: Re: Wireless shifting for the masses $199

Postby rfryer » 4 Dec 2016, 3:33pm

MikeF wrote:Some answers to questions raised here on their website. Note the battery has a micro USB connector so a spare one could be charged via a (hub) generator. It doesn't say it will work with a hub gear, but in principle I can't see why.

I've had an email exchange with the inventor about using it with an Alfine 11. He's happy with that, including the fact that an irregular cable pull is required, but the unit only provides 40mm of pull so a shiftmate would be required to magnify it.

Why would this be useful? I'm thinking of converting a Moulton to Alfine 11, and wireless shifting is a great match for the separable frame. Also, the alternative drop handlebar shifters are either flawed (Versa) or vulnerable (JTEC bar ends).

MikeF

Re: RE: Re: Wireless shifting for the masses $199

Postby MikeF » 4 Dec 2016, 4:23pm

rfryer wrote:Why would this be useful? I'm thinking of converting a Moulton to Alfine 11, and wireless shifting is a great match for the separable frame. Also, the alternative drop handlebar shifters are either flawed (Versa) or vulnerable (JTEC bar ends).
Well that's one good reason. Possibly might be useful on any folding bike.

blackbike

Postby blackbike » 4 Dec 2016, 5:51pm

I'll stick with my bar end levers. I like to keep things simple and inexpensive on my bikes. It is part of the appeal of the hobby that I can do everything myself without any real mechanical expertise and just a few tools.

Going all electronic would detract from that appeal.

If I wanted a bicycle with all sorts of complicated gadgets to perform all the various mechanical functions I'd go the whole hog and buy a motorbike.

That said, if I was younger and still racing I'd probably be first in the queue for affordable electronic shifting. I spent a fortune on the latest stuff in my 20s and 30s.