Cycling in fog ?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
on6702

Cycling in fog ?

Post by on6702 »

Do you do it ? If so what precautions do you take ? Or should it simply be avoided for reasons of safety ?

Oliver

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Threevok

Re: Cycling in fog ?

Post by Threevok »

Yes I do
You need lights (mainly to let others know where you are)
You be very careful
meic

Post by meic »

In order for the lights to be of any use in daytime fog, they will have to be very bright.
Something that would normally be blinding and offensive at night is needed to get noticed in fog.
My normal BS rear lights will not be noticed any quicker than the bike itself.

One interesting point when doing night riding in fog on back lanes is that cars actually stop at passing places even for a cyclist instead of just pushing through, because all they can see is the light. :D
Yma o Hyd
PhilWhitehurst

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

Lights and ride slower than you would if clear. If freezing like now be wary of freezing fog and icy roads.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I normally have 2 rear lights, and in fog I would definitely have one on constant and the other flashing. The flashing light tells potentially confused drivers that they approaching a cycle and are therefore likely to be closing in quickly. I'd use a front light too.
PH

Post by PH »

It frightens me, if I have a choice I'll avoid it. I'm never sure if the car behind has seen me.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Don't do it .... simples !
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

havent seen any fog in a long time. I hate riding in fog on my m/c as the fog mists up the visor and riding with it open mists up your eyes. horrible
drossall

Post by drossall »

Bright lights will reflect off really bad fog. My great memory is of cycling home from school in a complete pea souper. I felt pretty safe, because cars weren't going to be any better than I was at seeing where the road was, so I'd hear them coming. I rode that way every day, so I'd a pretty good idea where every bend and junction was.

I was probably about 12, so my mum came out looking for me. I was quite happy riding, so carried on, with her walking next to me on the pavement. At least as I remember it now, we couldn't see each other (but of course could talk to be sure that we were both still there!)

Never seen anything like that since. This was in east Cheshire, well after the days when pollution led to really bad fogs (and not in a city anyway).
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

Don't mind cycling in fog but would be one of the very few occasions that I'd use both a solid and blinking rear light together.
Far too many drivers drive well in excess of a safe speed in poor conditions and/or drive too close to the vehicle in front, however given the UK police forces preferred option to ignore such even when major crashes occur it's hardly any wonder driving levels continue to fall. :x
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi

I try not to, particularly at this time of year when it's likely to freeze.
It's damp, you can't see the scenery, and it's more of a risk IMHO. There aren't too many properly foggy days, a clear one will be along soon

Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
karlt

Post by karlt »

Work doesn't shut up shop because of fog, so yes I do. Lights and brain on full alert.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

it's a while since i had to do it, but as said elsewhere, work doesn't stop because of fog, so yes. One evening i was at work when a pea souper came down, and had no choice but to ride home at 10pm... fortunately knew the roads, there was virtually no other traffic around and most of the time i was riding on the white line so i could see the road...... front light was pretty useless as it was illuminating the fog in front of my face and destroying my ability to see. The only cars i encountered were virtually doing the same, driver window down and driver watching the white line.....
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
pwa

Post by pwa »

In real dense fog even the most careless driver will be concentrating hard to make out the road ahead, so i find the cars you encounter are going slower. And if you have two good bright rear lights, one flashing, the fog immediately behind you will be lit up to alert even the most slow witted driver. The main problem is just seeing the edge of the road ahead.

I live and cycle close to the sea, and we get sea mists sometimes.
on6702

Post by on6702 »

Thanks for all the advice and opinions. As I have an early morning commute to a train station by bike it's something that I am likely to face at some point. I like the idea of a combination of both a flashing and steady rear light and appreciate the need for them to be ultra bright. I'll probably pick up one of new breed of 50-100 lm rear lights that are now available with this in mind. Oliver

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels