Do you cycle alone or in company?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
softpedal

solo or in company

Postby softpedal » 25 Feb 2008, 7:32pm

I enjoy both types of riding.

Solo gives you the choice of where to go, how fast, when to stop etc etc
And for 2or 3 years now this is what I've done 2 or 3 times a week.

However having recently joined a bunch of riders of about the same pace as me, nothing beats a sunday club ride out with a bacon sandwich and a pub stop and lots of camaraderie. With the knowledge of course that you may be stopped for being drunk in charge of a bike but you aint gonna lose your license.

So now its mid week on my own, Sundays in good company.
Your never to old to become younger

appolo

Postby appolo » 25 Feb 2008, 8:01pm

With the DA on Sunday's (and Thursday's if on the right shift),during the week on my own.
I tour solo, when on holiday. I really like my own space (and pace!). Both types of riding are fine.
Being on the road is the important thing. Away from the phone,the telly', just me,the bike and the map, perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!

yoyo

Postby yoyo » 25 Feb 2008, 8:09pm

I cycle alone or with my husband. As said in a post above I do not wish to go out with a club that insists on a certain speed and leaves one feeling a burden if one cannot match that. Being alone gives a tremendous sense of freedom and there is nothing like a ride on deserted country lanes alone on a quiet calm day with the sounds of birds singing, sheep, pigs and cows etc grazing in the nearby fields.

Colin Stanley

Postby Colin Stanley » 25 Feb 2008, 10:05pm

I'm with you yoyo.
I enjoy riding out with my wife on our tandem.
Her new knee is improving, but we find if difficult to keep up with others.

Yorkshireman

Postby Yorkshireman » 26 Feb 2008, 9:17am

thirdcrank wrote:
Yorkshireman wrote:Another solo here. I don't mind company at stops, but I prefer my own when actually riding :roll: .

Yorkshireman

Having recently used a pic of your bike to illustrate the social benefits of rear mudflaps, I am amazed to hear you say that.

The front flaps are there 'cos I ride in all weathers and like to keep my feet dry. The rear flaps are needed to protect anyone (nearly everyone nowadays) coming from behind to overtake :wink: - I'm not antisocial - I just prefer my own company (and thoughts) when riding :) .
Colin N.
Lincolnshire is mostly flat ... but the wind is mostly in your face!
http://www.freewebs.com/yorkshireman1/

byegad

Postby byegad » 26 Feb 2008, 9:39am

99% alone. Previous posters have said it all about pace, detouring etc.
When I ride with others it's fun and really nice most of the time. However now and again over the years I've ridden with people who make me glad I ride solo.

Aimee

Postby Aimee » 8 Mar 2008, 11:18am

i cycle to work every day, this is always on my own, and at the moment i cycle for pleasure on my own. i do enjoy being on my own, as its like a chill out routine for me, blows all the cobwebs away.
but at the same time i would like someone else with me, so that i could take more risks i am going and not worry about getting lost.
plus it will give me someone to talk to :roll:

sean65

Postby sean65 » 9 Mar 2008, 8:07pm

pigman wrote:
john28july wrote:
Mick F wrote:Solo.
I'm my own boss. I do what I like, when I like, and think what I like.

Company's good too!

Mick,
We should 'meet up'! I think you are my twin...
John.

right you guys, who's gonna make the decisions on where, how fast, at what time, etc ..... someone's got to compromise.

LOL.

I ride alone most of the time. That's not to say I feel lonely when I ride. I enjoy the solitude and I've got an explorative style of riding. I quite often take an unplanned turn just to 'see where it goes'.

I've talked a work mate in to getting himself a bike. Not sure if it's a good idea as he seems to be a rider that ALWAYS has to ride with someone and that's usually me. :?

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 9 Mar 2008, 8:39pm

"we" have two tandems, nuff said

BUT I do like to get out on the solo,like looking for interesting things and photo opportunities,so it helps sometimes to be alone.

I still think that tandeming is the best way to cycle though :)

peanut

Postby peanut » 9 Mar 2008, 9:32pm

I cycle alone although I would really enjoy a cycling partner. I catch sight of other cyclists sometimes and think I'll ask them if they would be interested in an occasional ride but I never do.
A couple of years ago my neighbour married a keen cyclist and I thought great a cycling partner at last but then my back goes and I can barely walk since ! :roll: just my luck eh!

PrettyBoyTim

Postby PrettyBoyTim » 9 Mar 2008, 10:41pm

I often cycle with my Son, but that's because I drop him off at nursery in the child seat. Otherwise it's on my own, although there's a lot of other cyclists on my route into work as well.

peter236uk

rides

Postby peter236uk » 10 Mar 2008, 1:47pm

I ride mostly alone on i find the da stuff a bit to slow and group rides with cycling clubs bit to fast, although few mates and myself are doing some audax rides this year

iallen35

Postby iallen35 » 10 Mar 2008, 1:50pm

I nearley always cycle with my 13 year old son, If he is at school then I do have time on my own which I do enjoy as well so 50-50 probally.

Mrs Tortoise

Postby Mrs Tortoise » 16 Mar 2008, 8:32pm

I do both, alone for pleasure or to get from A to B. I also go out with our local CTC saturday group, which is a gentle ride taken at the speed of the slowest rider, often me. Got my revenge yesterday, I led it.

As we get members coming from areas of other groups, eg Somerset and Bournemouth, I take it we must be doing something right or are just such a nice bunch (all bonkers of course).

We also have gentle sunday rides twice a month.

see http://wessexctc.org/ and click on West Dorset for our programme.

The Jazz

Postby The Jazz » 16 Mar 2008, 9:09pm

I work shifts and cycle in as often as I can - don't often see many other cyclists.

Because of shift work, I go out for rides when other people are working, so again - on my lonesome.

I also have a (sick?) penchant for getting up quite early and being on the road while most other sensible people are tucked up in bed. That way I can put the miles in but still be home in the afternoon for the family. A lot less traffic as well.

Sure looking forward to the lighter mornings again - might actually be able to see the pot-holes.