Cyclists in Stealth Mode.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
amediasatex

Re: Cyclists in Stealth Mode.

Post by amediasatex »

Badgers don't wear Hi Viz

there's a campaign slogan in there somewhere ;-)

I think my last line is the most relevant one that needs attention really.

The two times in the last decade that I've ended up in physical contact with another vehicle, both times I was T-boned, once at a junction*, and once on a roundabout**, were in daylight hours and I was actually wearing hi-viz at the time, the problem was that the drivers were not highly observant.

* this driver was so unobservant, that after bouncing me off the side of his van he drove on oblivious to the fact that he had had a collision, fortunately a friendly motorcyclist who was behind me checked I had no serious harm and then chased him down and stopped him for me 1/4mile down the road, he said he thought the bang was his toolbox falling over in the back of his van! so not only did he not see me and collide with me, he then didn't check either of his mirrors afterwards!

** this one was doubly annoying as the driver was a cyclist, with his bike in the boot on the way to join his friends for a ride! He simply did not look and drove into the side of me/my back wheel as I went past his entry to the roundabout, and I was almost past it too, if I'd been going a tiny bit faster or he a tiny bit slower he wouldn't have hit me, I'm just lucky it wasn't a fraction of a second sooner or instead of being spun off into a heap I'd have been bouncing off his windscreen probably with a well broken leg, arm and head!
irc

Post by irc »

amediasatex wrote:
Youtube video with runners on road. Those with reflectives seen at 1000ft. Those with white T-shirts at 250ft. Equally safe? 240ft is the stopping distance at 60mph.

So what message are you taking away form that?

My interpretation is that 60mph is an inappropriate speed to be travelling at night in an area where you might reasonably expect runners/pedestrians/cyclists/animals to be in the road.

I agree. We live in the real world though where some people drive faster than they should. I'm taking the message I'd rather be seen sooner rather than later. If being seen sooner doesn't matter to you then that is your choice which you are free to make.
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

I agree. We live in the real world though where some people drive faster than they should. I'm taking the message I'd rather be seen sooner rather than later. If being seen sooner doesn't matter to you then that is your choice which you are free to make.

Sadly, I also agree with you, but I think you miss the crux of my point, and you'll see from my other post that I do (often) wear hi vis/reflectives, my point is that we (as in society/campaigns etc.) shouldn't be talking about how reflectives make it easier to be seen, we should be pushing the point about looking and observing, and changing behaviour to suit conditions.

eg:

We live in the real world though where some people drive faster than they should

And yet most campaigns seem to be about asking other people to mitigate that risk, not about tackling the danger inducing behaviour of the people doing things they shouldn't.

The kind of people who are observing properly are also unlikely to be barrelling along at 60 and will likely spot people lit or otherwise, the kind of people who barrel along at 60 oblivious to the risk are exactly the kind of people who will fail to see (or look for) you regardless of what you're wearing.

The emphasis should not be on making everyone else become more visible, as this slowly erodes (even at a subconscious level) the level of responsibility required of the driver, it should be about the people piloting motorised vehicles driving to conditions, observing and quite frankly simply not driving into people.

I really don't put much faith in hi-vis, it makes things visible a little sooner for those looking, but it does little to make people who are not looking notice those same things, people are plenty visibile enough to those who look properly, which is why i think any campaigns should focus on the looking, not the visibility of things you are looking for. Reflectives are a little better, but they will only work when your lights are pointing at them, ie: when you're behind, they don't do much for being spotted when pulling out of junctions etc.

In fact, it would be much better if the message that was hammered home to drivers was "sometimes stuff can be hard to see, look properly and slow down if necessary" rather than the current focus of "make sure you're lit up like and xmas tree as drivers often aren't looking where they're going!" or both if you must, but my real gripe is that the emphasis and focus is lopsidedly biased in favour of drivers and puts undue responsiblity on others to 'not be hit' if you catch my drift? This is especially true in the media, and with reports of cyclists getting hit by drivers containing subtle messages like 'the cyclist was not wearing a helmet or high vis', the former is of no relevance to the collision and the latter subtly apportions blame in the mind of the reader.

One of the things that really gets people wound up round here (Dartmoor) is the number of sheep and other livestock killed on the moors each year. Generally line of sight is pretty good on open moorland, there are signs up saying 'beware of livestock' and 'drive slowly' etc. And yet still, every year there are many many sheep, sometimes ponies, and rarely a cow, killed by cars, how on earth does this happen??!!

Anyone driving across the moors has seen the signs, knows they are there, knows they can be unpredictable, and they are plenty visible enough, it is simply a combination of people driving too quickly and not paying enough attention, yet if you read the comments on some stories you will see some drivers complaining that the animals are 'loose' and shouldn't be allowed to wander across the roads! Perhaps we should spray paint the sheep bright yellow and attach flashing lights to them...
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

amediasatex wrote:

Sadly, I also agree with you, but I think you miss the crux of my point, and you'll see from my other post that I do (often) wear hi vis/reflectives, my point is that we (as in society/campaigns etc.) shouldn't be talking about how reflectives make it easier to be seen, we should be pushing the point about looking and observing, and changing behaviour to suit conditions.

eg:

We live in the real world though where some people drive faster than they should

And yet most campaigns seem to be about asking other people to mitigate that risk, not about tackling the danger inducing behaviour of the people doing things they shouldn't.

The kind of people who are observing properly are also unlikely to be barrelling along at 60 and will likely spot people lit or otherwise, the kind of people who barrel along at 60 oblivious to the risk are exactly the kind of people who will fail to see (or look for) you regardless of what you're wearing.

The emphasis should not be on making everyone else become more visible, as this slowly erodes (even at a subconscious level) the level of responsibility required of the driver, it should be about the people piloting motorised vehicles driving to conditions, observing and quite frankly simply not driving into people.

I really don't put much faith in hi-vis, it makes things visible a little sooner for those looking, but it does little to make people who are not looking notice those same things, people are plenty visibile enough to those who look properly, which is why i think any campaigns should focus on the looking, not the visibility of things you are looking for. Reflectives are a little better, but they will only work when your lights are pointing at them, ie: when you're behind, they don't do much for being spotted when pulling out of junctions etc.

In fact, it would be much better if the message that was hammered home to drivers was "sometimes stuff can be hard to see, look properly and slow down if necessary" rather than the current focus of "make sure you're lit up like and xmas tree as drivers often aren't looking where they're going!" or both if you must, but my real gripe is that the emphasis and focus is lopsidedly biased in favour of drivers and puts undue responsiblity on others to 'not be hit' if you catch my drift? This is especially true in the media, and with reports of cyclists getting hit by drivers containing subtle messages like 'the cyclist was not wearing a helmet or high vis', the former is of no relevance to the collision and the latter subtly apportions blame in the mind of the reader.

One of the things that really gets people wound up round here (Dartmoor) is the number of sheep and other livestock killed on the moors each year. Generally line of sight is pretty good on open moorland, there are signs up saying 'beware of livestock' and 'drive slowly' etc. And yet still, every year there are many many sheep, sometimes ponies, and rarely a cow, killed by cars, how on earth does this happen??!!

Anyone driving across the moors has seen the signs, knows they are there, knows they can be unpredictable, and they are plenty visible enough, it is simply a combination of people driving too quickly and not paying enough attention, yet if you read the comments on some stories you will see some drivers complaining that the animals are 'loose' and shouldn't be allowed to wander across the roads! Perhaps we should spray paint the sheep bright yellow and attach flashing lights to them...

Worth repeating in full!
"I didn't see..." the pedestrian/cyclist/skip/fallen tree/badger/sheep/deer ... etc... "it shouldn't be allowed out like that" is now a socially accepted excuse for driving into stuff (or indeed people!), instead of being (as it truly is) an admission that not having looked properly.

To drive along a road (or across a track or pavement) it should be (and is in law) necessary to see that your intended path is clear. This is not the same as not seeing anything on your intended path. Until Potter-esque invisibility cloaks become normal wear, this will remain true.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

AlaninWales wrote:"I didn't see..." the pedestrian/cyclist/skip/fallen tree/badger/sheep/deer ... etc... "it shouldn't be allowed out like that" is now a socially accepted excuse for driving into stuff (or indeed people!), instead of being (as it truly is) an admission that not having looked properly.

To drive along a road (or across a track or pavement) it should be (and is in law) necessary to see that your intended path is clear. This is not the same as not seeing anything on your intended path. Until Potter-esque invisibility cloaks become normal wear, this will remain true.

It's the same with burglary,"it's their own fault for not locking the door",etc.

The problem is it's worth the not looking because the end result is that the dangerous driver gets away with it.
Driving has become the norm and as such everyone and anyone can and does do it,however idiotic their outlook and actions,there's no deterrent for bad and dangerous driving because there's no one enforcing the law.
Also the law is,without doubt IMO,stacked against the vulnerable road user,and particularly the cyclist.
We have the situation where it's cyclists own fault for simply being their,hence the overtakes on blind bends,in the face of oncoming traffic,and the close passes which are a part of everyday cycling life,for some drivers it's simply a bullying out of the way of those they don't regard as legitimate road users.
Reckless driving is the norm,even when it's reported nothing is done because such is the police's lack of manpower their responses and
priorities are very limited,and drivers know it.Because of that driving standards plummet,if the cat's away the mouse will always play.

If (and it's a big if) a driver should be caught driving dangerously the penalties are so light it's looked on as an occupational hazard,and an affront to their driving prowess.
We have the situation where the police and administration of the law is politicised to such an extent as to be as to be ludicrous beyond belief,where dangerous people with many,many points on their licence are still driving because they got the right lawyer with the right sob story,when they should have been removed from the road long ago and been either retested or their licence removed from them permanently.
But such is the limp wristed approach to law breaking on the road we have the current mess,where no one cares and the roads have become a free for all,with the vulnerable road user the bottom of the list when it comes to protection,a complete inversion of how things should be.
Until a good dose of real fear is instilled into driving,and bad and dangerous driving equals a no quibble guarantee of loss of licence things will remain as they are.
I'm not holding my breath for a change any time soon.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PhilWhitehurst

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

irc wrote:
amediasatex wrote:

Problem is, you are seen and forgotten about by the time they reach you to do harm. They haven't slowed down because they might have registered something a number of seconds ago. You're also more likely to just be registered as a reflective road sign in the distance rather than anything else. That's if you're registered at all. Meanwhile their brain attention has moved onto something else but they are still going to pass you at their original speed. I'd also say 250m for a correctly adjusted headlight sounds unrealistic due to the beam cutoff.
PhilWhitehurst

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

irc wrote:
firestarter wrote:A mirror wouldn't have prevented him hitting me

It has for me. Narrow 2 lane road. Straight for 5 miles. Bright daylight. Wearing fluorescent orange top. A large camper van went straight through at 60mph. I saw it wasn't moving out and went off the road. Only once in thousands of miles. A few other times it has let me turn close passes into comfortable ones because I saw it coming.

firestarter wrote:I've attended enough cyclists under cars at work to realise there is nothing you can do realistically.

I've attended cyclist accidents at work as well and found that some were avoidable. Two had faulty brakes for example.

There are plenty of avoidable accidents.

http://beyondthekerb.org.uk/2014/12/12/ ... -happened/

firestarter wrote:I wear lights and reflective stuff out of choice to possibly stand out more but victims shouldn't be blamed if they don't. If a driver isn't looking he isn't looking

Who is blaming? Is it victim blaming saying lights at night is good? Is it victim blaming saying don't ride in the doorzone? No different saying being more visible is safer than less visible. If someone chooses to dress in black that is their choice. Their risk. Just like some roads are safer than others we make choices all the time. Saying less visible is as safe as more visible is just denying the facts.

An analogy. There are two routes home from the pub. Route A is crime free. Route B is 400 yds shorter but has history of muggings. Is it victim blaming to say Route A is a wiser choice?

So your high viz did sod all for your safety. Why do you think that is?
irc

Post by irc »

PhilWhitehurst wrote:
irc wrote:
firestarter wrote:A mirror wouldn't have prevented him hitting me

It has for me. Narrow 2 lane road. Straight for 5 miles. Bright daylight. Wearing fluorescent orange top. A large camper van went straight through at 60mph. I saw it wasn't moving out and went off the road. Only once in thousands of miles. A few other times it has let me turn close passes into comfortable ones because I saw it coming.

firestarter wrote:I've attended enough cyclists under cars at work to realise there is nothing you can do realistically.

I've attended cyclist accidents at work as well and found that some were avoidable. Two had faulty brakes for example.

firestarter wrote:I wear lights and reflective stuff out of choice to possibly stand out more but victims shouldn't be blamed if they don't. If a driver isn't looking he isn't looking

Who is blaming? Is it victim blaming saying lights at night is good? Is it victim blaming saying don't ride in the doorzone? No different saying being more visible is safer than less visible. If someone chooses to dress in black that is their choice. Their risk. Just like some roads are safer than others we make choices all the time. Saying less visible is as safe as more visible is just denying the facts.

An analogy. There are two routes home from the pub. Route A is crime free. Route B is 400 yds shorter but has history of muggings. Is it victim blaming to say Route A is a wiser choice?

What hi Viz? I was pointing out that reducing risk is a good idea even if the hazard is not our fault. Hi Viz when cycling versus walking through a dodgy area on the way home.
irc

Post by irc »

PhilWhitehurst wrote:Problem is, you are seen and forgotten about by the time they reach you to do harm. They haven't slowed down because they might have registered something a number of seconds ago. You're also more likely to just be registered as a reflective road sign in the distance rather than anything else.

Maybe. Maybe not. I don't think assuming every driver will behave the same way is useful. But if you think being invisible (at 500ft) is better than being seen at 1000ft go for it. Your choice.

PhilWhitehurst wrote: I'd also say 250m for a correctly adjusted headlight sounds unrealistic due to the beam cutoff.

I take it your car doesn't have a main beam then.
mjr

Post by mjr »

irc wrote:Maybe. Maybe not. I don't think assuming every driver will behave the same way is useful. But if you think being invisible (at 500ft) is better than being seen at 1000ft go for it. Your choice.

I've gone for it. Hell of a lot fewer bad overtakes since ditching the hi-viz and relying on the lights. I'm now of the opinion that the best approach for a cyclist is to make yourself look as much like a motorbike or moped as you can (rear light with large surface area, no reflectives, fairly upright position, black hair/hat) until they're close enough for their dipped headlights to catch your pedal reflectors. Many will time/position themselves to pull out around a motorbike who won't for only a bloody cyclist.

irc wrote:
PhilWhitehurst wrote: I'd also say 250m for a correctly adjusted headlight sounds unrealistic due to the beam cutoff.

No-one should be shining main beam onto another road user and dazzling them!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
irc

Post by irc »

mjr wrote:No-one should be shining main beam onto another road user and dazzling them!

Thanks for stating the obvious. There are times when main beam use is appropriate and will pick out objects further away than 250m. Thereafter if appropriate the headlights can be dipped.
mjr

Post by mjr »

irc wrote:
mjr wrote:No-one should be shining main beam onto another road user and dazzling them!

Thanks for stating the obvious. There are times when main beam use is appropriate and will pick out objects further away than 250m. Thereafter if appropriate the headlights can be dipped.

And if the "objects" are other road users with working lights, you have committed an offence and should be fined IMO. As motorist and cyclist, I'm often disappointed by how many people now drive around corners or over brows with main beam on and only dip after dazzling another road user.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
PhilWhitehurst

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

irc wrote:
PhilWhitehurst wrote:Problem is, you are seen and forgotten about by the time they reach you to do harm. They haven't slowed down because they might have registered something a number of seconds ago. You're also more likely to just be registered as a reflective road sign in the distance rather than anything else.

Maybe. Maybe not. I don't think assuming every driver will behave the same way is useful. But if you think being invisible (at 500ft) is better than being seen at 1000ft go for it. Your choice.

Who's invisible you're on a bike, you have lights and reflectors? Visible from much further away than 250m.
PhilWhitehurst

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

irc wrote:
PhilWhitehurst wrote:
irc wrote:

What hi Viz? I was pointing out that reducing risk is a good idea even if the hazard is not our fault. Hi Viz when cycling versus walking through a dodgy area on the way home.

So you're saying your fluorescent orange top isn't hi viz, thanks for clarifying and your evidence that it made no difference to your safety,
amediasatex

Post by amediasatex »

well to continue your analogy and my point…
In such a situation I would expect to local council and police to be tackling the muggings, and I'd expect the local public to be demanding that they do so as well, but what we currently have is akin to everyone suggesting you avoid the area, prudent advice to your family and friends maybe, but not the solution that society should be working towards or else soon the muggers will be doing it elsewhere too and soon everywhere is off limits, and then the advice will be for everyone to wear stab-vests and travel in groups…

As reohn2 also says, what isn't happenings the roads version of dealing with the muggers causing the danger!