Way of The Roses

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
PH

Re: Way of The Roses

Post by PH »

Toffee wrote:We thought we might do this around Easter time.

Just been looking up train costs and what a difference. For two of us its £28 and no changes to get there, but £165 and up to 4 changes to get back. Oh and also 2.5 times as long. Don't know if I could take the stress of the return journey.

Think I'll look at car hire

Back to where? And when?
Train ticketing is a nightmare, but there's sometimes ways to make it cheaper, like splitting the tickets (Even using the same trains)
Also are both journeys 12 weeks away? You can book further in advance but discounted tickets are not offered before then, I'm told it's something to do with the scheduling of engineering works.
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

It from to Milton Keynes. It's not just cost it's the hassle of changing trains and will you get on the next one
PH

Post by PH »

Toffee wrote:It from to Milton Keynes. It's not just cost it's the hassle of changing trains and will you get on the next one

A quick look at the maximum advance you can book - Bridlington to Milton Keynes, with changes in Hull and London is around £30 each. With a little effort I expect I could find a route that didn't involve a London change.
People decide for themselves how they want to travel and how much hassle they consider the alternatives. I dislike driving, travel be train for most journeys I can't cycle and rarely have a problem, even when I do have always still got to the destination.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I was looking at trains to Bridlington from Manchester the other week, to Bridlington was around £50, but a ticket to Seamer was £25 then a ticket Seamer to Bridlington was only £6, for some reason this wasn't offered as a route option.
PH

Post by PH »

Postboxer wrote:I was looking at trains to Bridlington from Manchester the other week, to Bridlington was around £50, but a ticket to Seamer was £25 then a ticket Seamer to Bridlington was only £6, for some reason this wasn't offered as a route option.

Split ticketing - there's often decent savings to be made, some ticket office staff will play the system for you, but they're few and far between. This website will do it for a cut of the savings, but you can't book a bike with them, you can use it to see what's available then play around on another website to see if you can match it. Putting in Manchester to Bridlington, at 9am on a random Saturday, came up with £19. Your terms and conditions with a split ticket are no different to with any other ticket.
https://raileasy.trainsplit.com/fares.aspx
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

PH wrote:
Toffee wrote:It from to Milton Keynes. It's not just cost it's the hassle of changing trains and will you get on the next one

A quick look at the maximum advance you can book - Bridlington to Milton Keynes, with changes in Hull and London is around £30 each. With a little effort I expect I could find a route that didn't involve a London change.
People decide for themselves how they want to travel and how much hassle they consider the alternatives. I dislike driving, travel be train for most journeys I can't cycle and rarely have a problem, even when I do have always still got to the destination.

Thanks for that. Just tried it myself and as we have a railcard it would come to £47.5 going via Hull and London and that is assuming that we can get the bikes on all the trains. Its that uncertainty that is the problem.
If we do it, it would be over the Easter holiday and we would be coming back on Easter Sunday or Monday, they come up at the full price so I assume the advance tickets are not released
Brian696969

Post by Brian696969 »

Regarding inter city trains, and perhaps you already know this, but each train only takes a total of 4 bikes.
If you don't have a bike reservation, you are takings big chance , particularly if you are travelling at a busy time.

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

Brian696969 wrote:Regarding inter city trains, and perhaps you already know this, but each train only takes a total of 4 bikes.
If you don't have a bike reservation, you are takings big chance , particularly if you are travelling at a busy time.

A worthless piece of junk ! : my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels

And this for us is a big problem.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Brian696969 wrote:Regarding inter city trains, and perhaps you already know this, but each train only takes a total of 4 bikes.

Depends on the train. Great Western Railway's inter-city trains take six, for example. CrossCountry's take three.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Brian696969

Post by Brian696969 »

That's still not manta per train, when you have a Group

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my wobbly bog brush using hovercraft full of eels
PH

Post by PH »

Toffee wrote:
PH wrote:

Thanks for that. Just tried it myself and as we have a railcard it would come to £47.5 going via Hull and London and that is assuming that we can get the bikes on all the trains. Its that uncertainty that is the problem.
If we do it, it would be over the Easter holiday and we would be coming back on Easter Sunday or Monday, they come up at the full price so I assume the advance tickets are not released

You might be out of luck the Easter weekend,I can't see any Bridlington > MK bargains though I've just booked something else so I'm assuming they're all released. Maybe there's engineering works. On the day after Tue 18th there's a choice in the £40 - £60 price range, it was just a quick look while I was booking mine, there may be other options.
PH

Post by PH »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:

Depends on the train. Great Western Railway's inter-city trains take six, for example. CrossCountry's take three.

How many of those are bookable? A local CC train I use has three spaces but you can only book two, when traveling alone I take the chance and it's always been OK, not sure I'd do that in a group.
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

PH wrote:
Toffee wrote:
PH wrote:A quick look at the maximum advance you can book - Bridlington to Milton Keynes, with changes in Hull and London is around £30 each. With a little effort I expect I could find a route that didn't involve a London change.

You might be out of luck the Easter weekend,I can't see any Bridlington > MK bargains though I've just booked something else so I'm assuming they're all released. Maybe there's engineering works. On the day after Tue 18th there's a choice in the £40 - £60 price range, it was just a quick look while I was booking mine, there may be other options.

Thanks for looking.

We have decided to do something more local that we can just ride from home as I have had to change my holiday dates from work.
robc02

Post by robc02 »

Re: the OP's post. It is indeed a very nice ride. I would echo the comments on Greenhow Hill - it's fine if you are expecting it and proceed sensibly.

If I do it again I will probably take the Malham detour. Not that there is anything wrong with the standard route, just that the Malham area is especially beautiful.

The climb out of Settle is a slog! I knew what was coming so refrained from a "Full English" in Settle and had an "intermediate" on the campsite I stayed at instead.
PH

Post by PH »

Toffee wrote:Thanks for looking.

We have decided to do something more local that we can just ride from home as I have had to change my holiday dates from work.

You're welcome, it only takes a minute and I was on the website anyway.
I hope you get to ride it some other time, it's a route worth doing and now you have some idea of the sort of price you can get train tickets for.