Cars overtaking and then slowing down.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Cars overtaking and then slowing down.

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Was off on one of my longish day rides, going down Countisbury hill into Lynmouth, prone doing 50, transit van overtook so I sat up and dropped to 40, but then he decided it was too fast :? so I put me head down and cruised past :lol:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

On the long downhills, if the motor traffic could stay below the 30mph speed limit, I could freewheel past them easily.
Mick F. Cornwall
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

A lot of cars want to overtake the cyclist in front of them but not the car in front that was slowing the cyclist up. There have been time where I've been keeping pace with a car in front doing 20mph when a gap opens up for a the car behind to overtake but then has to go at the same speed previously cause of the slow car in front of me. Why won't they make another overtake?

Here's one that didn't quite work out for the two drivers that attempted it.

[youtube]-E54ggiU1qA[/youtube]
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Wonderful driving. Best I had like that, was waiting in middle of the lane a few yards behind a stationary bus, when driver pulls up behind me a sounds his horn, ugh! Looked round to see him gesticulating at me to move over!!! Didn't bother to ask him to explain the logic of his actions, too gobsmacked :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Redvee wrote:A lot of cars want to overtake the cyclist in front of them but not the car in front that was slowing the cyclist up. There have been time where I've been keeping pace with a car in front doing 20mph when a gap opens up for a the car behind to overtake but then has to go at the same speed previously cause of the slow car in front of me. Why won't they make another overtake?

The syclist looks incidental to that particular driving error, or am I missing something?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Frequently happens at a roundabout near us, where German drivers get confused by the fact that what they call Weissenburg is Wissembourg in French.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Redvee wrote:A lot of cars want to overtake the cyclist in front of them but not the car in front that was slowing the cyclist up. There have been time where I've been keeping pace with a car in front doing 20mph when a gap opens up for a the car behind to overtake but then has to go at the same speed previously cause of the slow car in front of me. Why won't they make another overtake?

The syclist looks incidental to that particular driving error, or am I missing something?

Think you're right - looks absolutely nothing to do with the cyclist, probably didn't even notice him. Barely managed to notice the big green bus :-)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Psamathe wrote:For me a related (but worse) problem is when those impatient following drivers overtake with insufficient visibility ahead and then end-up having to swerve in when they meet the oncoming vehicle they for some reason thought would not be there!. Was a very close thing (for me) last ride out when an inpatient Adenhams lorry must have been held up behind me for at least 5 seconds before deciding the delay was too much for them so they overtook on a blind corner and met a lorry coming the other way, jammed their brakes on and swerved back onto their/my side of the road. Good thing I was a cynic and braked as they overtook or I'd have been spending my Christmas at best experiencing the NHS hospital.

Ian

You should report this to their traffic manager - we know the plod aren't interested but actually reporting the incident to their boss would at least be ammunition in case of further incidents.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil »

Psamathe wrote:For me a related (but worse) problem is when those impatient following drivers overtake with insufficient visibility ahead and then end-up having to swerve in when they meet the oncoming vehicle they for some reason thought would not be there!..

There's a road near me where that happens a lot. It has a 20mph limit, is downhill so I travel at >20mph there, and has a blind corner in the middle. I have taken to moving near to the centre line to discourage overtaking, but it still happens sometimes. It even happens on straight sections of road where it's quite obvious that there isn't enough time to overtake, but people seem to be unable to estimate overtake times when a bicycle is going above a certain speed; I have had to brake hard to avoid a car losing a game of chicken beside me several times.
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Phil Fouracre wrote:
Think you're right - looks absolutely nothing to do with the cyclist, probably didn't even notice him. Barely managed to notice the big green bus :-)

Struggling to work out what she was doing. If she thought that was a second outbound lane she clearly didn't notice the oncoming vehicle near the start. I think perhaps she thought the bus was stopping (for passengers) and decided to overtake but got disturbingly far before actually looking ahead and seeing that the bus was actually just part of a queue.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

Mr Evil wrote:....a road near me where that happens a lot. It has a 20mph limit, is downhill so I travel at >20mph there,....

I presume you mistakenly typed that > rather than < or <= .
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)
scotsmanincumbria

Post by scotsmanincumbria »

reohn2 wrote:You're not alone in this,it's the MGIF and the motors have more right to be on the road attitude,toward cyclist,I term them Numpties,with the brains and foresight of a goldfish :?

That's a bit harsh on the goldfish :wink:
http://scotsmanincumbria.blogspot.com
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

scotsmanincumbria wrote:That's a bit harsh on the goldfish :wink:

You're right of course and I hereby formally apologise to any Goldfish that may have been offended by my comments toward their foresight or brains :mrgreen:
Last edited by reohn2 on 27 Dec 2016, 1:58pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mr Evil

Post by Mr Evil »

SA_SA_SA wrote:
Mr Evil wrote:....a road near me where that happens a lot. It has a 20mph limit, is downhill so I travel at >20mph there,....

I presume you mistakenly typed that > rather than < or <= .

Nope. I enjoy the fact that speed limits only legally apply to motor vehicles.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Yesterday on the way back from the Boxing Day 10, I had to point out the oncoming car to the driver attempting to overtake on a right hander. Otherwise, the bit of road that we were occupying would have been the escape route :(