Cars overtaking and then slowing down.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
hamish

Cars overtaking and then slowing down.

Post by hamish »

Am I the only one who gets infuriated by cars that insist on overtaking and then mess up my progress because they have to stop to turn right, slow down on a steep hill where I could let the bike roll nicely or simply get stuck in traffic.

On a short ride today it happened to me repeatedly. On one occasion a lorry and car overtook me by pushing past then got snarled against ongoing traffic in a narrow section of road. I caught up and overtook the car - whereupon the driver of the car beeped her horn and shouted. I stopped and attempted to discuss it with her but she just shouted and drove off. I felt very fed up and sad that a nice ride round Gower had been disturbed.

So.... Is it just me?
meic

Re: Cars overtaking and then slowing down.

Post by meic »

No, not just you.

I play a sort of waltz with cars at the speedbumps either side of my village and the next one.

They leap in front of me then slam on for the speedbump, I move out to the white line and overtake them, then fully over to the left for them to overtake me a second time.
Yma o Hyd
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Yes, also happens occasionally when I'm driving (eg dual carriageway punctuated by roundabouts - other driver will travel faster between roundabouts but negotiate them more slowly).

Few drivers tend to look more than 1 vehicle/50 metres (whichever is less) ahead and this becomes particularly bad when they have a bicycle infront of them. They become obsessed with overtaking the bike and fail to check if it's actually worth doing so.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

You're not alone in this,it's the MGIF and the motors have more right to be on the road attitude,toward cyclist,I term them Numpties,with the brains and foresight of a goldfish :?
Last edited by reohn2 on 25 Dec 2016, 10:55am, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

I'm another victim of this too. Most recently I was rolling to a red traffic light and started freewheeling at 15mph 50 metres from the lights so ample time for me to slow without needed much braking, as I did so a car passed me then stopped on the ASL line, I rolled into the ASL just as the lights changed to green and pedalled off leaving the car behind me. Knowing the sequencing of the lights helps alot and you soon learn them when doig the same route on a daily basis.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

It's not just bikes they do it to buses too. What's annoying are the number of cars sporting cycle racks that do it, they at least should know better.

After the humbug, seasonal greetings to everyone on the board! :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

hamish wrote:...I felt very fed up and sad that a nice ride round Gower had been disturbed....

I sympathise (and occasionally experience the same) though important not to let it spoil your ride(s). Remember that it only reflects on them and their selfish inconsiderate character. It only demonstrates they only think of themselves and it is their character that is flawed not yours - so don't let it upset you (maybe easier said than done) but remember who is at fault, who is polluting the environment, who is contributing to Climate Change, etc. and who is not doing those things.

Ian
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

A few years ago I was descending the western escarpment of the Chilterns at a fair lick when a white transit passed me, but no sooner had he got in front than he stamped on the brakes and signalled left to turn into a track through the woods. Fortunately there was nothing coming so I pulled out to overtake, but just as I was about to pass he veered right across the road in front of me so as to line the van up for reversing into the track! You could have trapped Rizlas either side of the bike as I swerved through the gap between the van and the earth bank on the far side.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Hi! I've got every sympathy, have had it happen a few times. As meic says, just play a game! Amazing how you can wind some of them up by leapfrogging! Takes the stress out of the aggro, and, definitely puts you in a better mood.
I'm afraid I get too much enjoyment playing games with them on the back lanes around here - you have to wait until you have an impatient one behind you, sometimes revving their engine! Just carry on riding at a sensible pace, then, if you are really lucky and can hear a car coming the other way, just ease off if there is a suitable point to do this, letting them roar past. Best on a blind bend so you can then overtake them as they are stationary, nose to nose with the other car. Smiling at the same time is good; gives you that warm feeling inside.
Happy Christmas all
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Phil Fouracre wrote:Hi! I've got every sympathy, have had it happen a few times. As meic says, just play a game! Amazing how you can wind some of them up by leapfrogging! Takes the stress out of the aggro, and, definitely puts you in a better mood.
I'm afraid I get too much enjoyment playing games with them on the back lanes around here - you have to wait until you have an impatient one behind you, sometimes revving their engine! Just carry on riding at a sensible pace, then, if you are really lucky and can hear a car coming the other way, just ease off if there is a suitable point to do this, letting them roar past. Best on a blind bend so you can then overtake them as they are stationary, nose to nose with the other car. Smiling at the same time is good; gives you that warm feeling inside.
Happy Christmas all

That's tongue in cheek isn't it?
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

yes happens to me ON MY MOTOR BIKE that can go faster and out accelerate most of these cars - they just dont like to be behind motor bikes? Maybe worst is at traffic lights - they see them up ahead still over take then you casually over take and go to the front.... :lol: so it aint just cycles that are treated with contempt. In my case being a powered device I place my self towards the centre line where the car driver would be sitting so if he wants to over take he has to do it properly 8)
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

if i can see the hazard that i know the overtaker will have to slow for then i'll hold a really wide line and put the hammer down, sometimes it is about holding a really strong position but sometimes in urban environments just chill, take foot off gas and pick your moment to cane past and give them a dirty glare :lol: :lol: 8)
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

It happens a lot. It's most annoying on fairly narrow roads in towns when someone insists on overtaking and then immediately stops to let a car come through in the opposing direction, where a cyclist could easily have continued ahead while letting the car through. I've had that happen a few times in the space of a single road.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

For me a related (but worse) problem is when those impatient following drivers overtake with insufficient visibility ahead and then end-up having to swerve in when they meet the oncoming vehicle they for some reason thought would not be there!. Was a very close thing (for me) last ride out when an inpatient Adenhams lorry must have been held up behind me for at least 5 seconds before deciding the delay was too much for them so they overtook on a blind corner and met a lorry coming the other way, jammed their brakes on and swerved back onto their/my side of the road. Good thing I was a cynic and braked as they overtook or I'd have been spending my Christmas at best experiencing the NHS hospital.

Infuriating, but I guess I've developed a mentality where if you let such things get to you you'd end-up giving up riding as you'd normally be getting home if a far worse state of mind (anger/frustration/fear).

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Happens a lot.

I just get used to it, and smile as I sail past. :D
Mick F. Cornwall