Cars overtaking and then slowing down.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Bonefishblues

Re: Cars overtaking and then slowing down.

Post by Bonefishblues »

drossall wrote:Yesterday on the way back from the Boxing Day 10, I had to point out the oncoming car to the driver attempting to overtake on a right hander. Otherwise, the bit of road that we were occupying would have been the escape route :(

Which is good practice, I think, and then beckon them past once you can see all's clear ahead.

I would typically occupy the centre line so there was no possibility of an attempt to pass, and then wave them through asap. I often get an acknowledgement of thanks.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

The game I used to play back when I regularly cycled in London, was to count the seconds between their overtake and them either stopping at the back of a queue or turning off (or pulling over having reached their destination); the average each day would work out regularly at 5 - 7 seconds :lol: .

One time I particularly remember whilst on my motorbike, was approaching a red light. I was slowing and holding the lane and there was oncoming traffic, so the car overtook on the inside - on the pavement and then had to brake to a stop for the lights. Knowing the timing, I overtook without stopping as it turned green (he was probably looking to see my reaction, rather than watching for the red/amber), then left him at the start of the queue a hundred yards ahead.
BigFoz

Post by BigFoz »

, but it still happens sometimes. It even happens on straight sections of road where it's quite obvious that there isn't enough time to overtake, but people seem to be unable to estimate overtake times when a bicycle is going above a certain speed

I think almost all drivers see bicycles and assume "walking pace".

Coming down off the Moor near me is an easy 50mph down the steep side, mid 40s if you coast only. There's an old boy in a silver peugeot passes me a lot when commuting who drives the whole road at a steady 35 (till he gets to the wider 30mph zone, then he speeds up...). Often he'll pass me near the top of the hill, and I'll overtake him half way down.

So after the first few times, why still overtake near the top of the hill? You know you're getting passed on the way down...
Canuk

Post by Canuk »

Most drivers just can't stand to be overtaken by a bicycle, or stuck behind one. It's mostly men with this attitude, it must be an assault on their wafer thin masculinity, either that or they're just jealous of the fit looking boys and girls on two wheels :lol:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bonefishblues wrote:
drossall wrote:Yesterday on the way back from the Boxing Day 10, I had to point out the oncoming car to the driver attempting to overtake on a right hander. Otherwise, the bit of road that we were occupying would have been the escape route :(

Which is good practice, I think, and then beckon them past once you can see all's clear ahead.

I would typically occupy the centre line so there was no possibility of an attempt to pass, and then wave them through asap. I often get an acknowledgement of thanks.

Do not wave them past! Only a police officer in uniform may direct traffic.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

Do not wave them past! Only a police officer in uniform may direct traffic.

I think that I'll probably carry on doing what I do to our mutual benefit. I doubt that it's an activity the police would take much interest in. :D
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I wouldn't say waving them past is directing traffic, as they don't have to obey you, it's more passing on the message that you can see the way ahead is clear, that you are prepared for them to pass and they may do so if they wish.
Username

Post by Username »

On the contrary, I have issues when people speed up while I am overtaking on my motorbike. Usually accelerating away onto a motorway, or from a dual carriageway roundabout, I start overtaking. As I reach cruising speed I find the car I have overtaken has speeded up before I complete the overtake. I then have to speed up even more, pull in and reduce speed to cruising pace. Motorists (and people in general) can be a nuisance.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Canuk wrote:Most drivers just can't stand to be overtaken by a bicycle, or stuck behind one. It's mostly men with this attitude, it must be an assault on their wafer thin masculinity, either that or they're just jealous of the fit looking boys and girls on two wheels :lol:

Not true - certainly arouind here it's as likely a female driver with poor speed perception and even worse driving skills.

Part of the overall problem (m+f) is that they pass and then like a goldfish, forget what they've just done.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Username wrote:On the contrary, I have issues when people speed up while I am overtaking on my motorbike. Usually accelerating away onto a motorway, or from a dual carriageway roundabout, I start overtaking. As I reach cruising speed I find the car I have overtaken has speeded up before I complete the overtake. I then have to speed up even more, pull in and reduce speed to cruising pace. Motorists (and people in general) can be a nuisance.

It is endemic, unpredicatable, and highly dangerous. The one thing that I'd perhaps mention (and I see it often on motoring forums) is the statement that one has to speed up even more in those circumstances. There's the option to reduce speed and abort an overtake, but there is a perception that, in the words of that great Icelandic presenter "I've started so I'll finish"!
Username

Post by Username »

Bonefishblues wrote:
Username wrote:On the contrary, I have issues when people speed up while I am overtaking on my motorbike. Usually accelerating away onto a motorway, or from a dual carriageway roundabout, I start overtaking. As I reach cruising speed I find the car I have overtaken has speeded up before I complete the overtake. I then have to speed up even more, pull in and reduce speed to cruising pace. Motorists (and people in general) can be a nuisance.

It is endemic, unpredicatable, and highly dangerous. The one thing that I'd perhaps mention (and I see it often on motoring forums) is the statement that one has to speed up even more in those circumstances. There's the option to reduce speed and abort an overtake, but there is a perception that, in the words of that great Icelandic presenter "I've started so I'll finish"!

Highly dangerous? I wouldnt go that far (unless on a single carriagway). Certainly I have never been killed or even mildly maimed. It is annoyin tho.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Username wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:

Highly dangerous? I wouldnt go that far (unless on a single carriagway). Certainly I have never been killed or even mildly maimed. It is annoyin tho.

I was thinking about exactly that scenario.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

foxyrider wrote:
Psamathe wrote:For me a related (but worse) problem is when those impatient following drivers overtake with insufficient visibility ahead and then end-up having to swerve in when they meet the oncoming vehicle they for some reason thought would not be there!. Was a very close thing (for me) last ride out when an inpatient Adenhams lorry must have been held up behind me for at least 5 seconds before deciding the delay was too much for them so they overtook on a blind corner and met a lorry coming the other way, jammed their brakes on and swerved back onto their/my side of the road. Good thing I was a cynic and braked as they overtook or I'd have been spending my Christmas at best experiencing the NHS hospital.

Ian

You should report this to their traffic manager - we know the plod aren't interested but actually reporting the incident to their boss would at least be ammunition in case of further incidents.

With more extreme incidents (which this was one) I have in the past done that, but where I've bothered to record the registration. I'm sure that on this occasion they brewery could have identified the driver from the location and time, but I was busy and ...

But I agree I should have and have done on a few occasions in the past.

But, I often feel that such driving by commercial drivers can be more caused by "productivity pressure" from their employer (the continual "do more in less time so we can give you even more to do ..."). so often in the past I've raised the incident with the e.f. depot and refused to give information to identify the driver citing a more general "corporate responsibility" and one courier company accepted that and decided that they would do a driver awareness session in their depot and a neighbouring depot - which I felt was probably the best outcome.

Ian
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

[quote="Psamathe"
But, I often feel that such driving by commercial drivers can be more caused by "productivity pressure" from their employer (the continual "do more in less time so we can give you even more to do ..."). so often in the past I've raised the incident with the e.f. depot and refused to give information to identify the driver citing a more general "corporate responsibility" and one courier company accepted that and decided that they would do a driver awareness session in their depot and a neighbouring depot - which I felt was probably the best outcome.

Ian[/quote]

+1, I've said the same to employers when complaining.

The sort of daft overtaking in the OP happens to cars just as much as bikes - most drivers will agree that they have been overtaken (often illegally, on blind bends, over double white lines, etc) only to sail past the offender at the next junction where they are waiting in another lane- i.e., all that risk taking (and risks with other people's lives, which is the bit that matters, I wouldn't care if they only killed each other) for no gain whatsoever.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

foxyrider wrote:
Canuk wrote:Most drivers just can't stand to be overtaken by a bicycle, or stuck behind one. It's mostly men with this attitude, it must be an assault on their wafer thin masculinity, either that or they're just jealous of the fit looking boys and girls on two wheels :lol:

Not true - certainly arouind here it's as likely a female driver with poor speed perception and even worse driving skills.

Part of the overall problem (m+f) is that they pass and then like a goldfish, forget what they've just done.

Where I drive/cycle it's usually a male, but more of the younger females are doing it than used to. I find females are more likely to be inconsiderate than actually dangerous, and often through hesitancy or lack of confidence. A particularly female fault is failing to move into an empty lane 2 on a dual carriageway or motorway to let traffic in from junctions or slip roads. I think some of them get into a lane and then think they are 'safe' if they just stick in it, so do so regardless of anything else that is going on. Self-centred at best, but also selfish and at times dangerous (as they switch off once 'in the lane' and don't take notice of any other situations that may be developing either).