Cars overtaking and then slowing down.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
MikeF

Re: Cars overtaking and then slowing down.

Post by MikeF »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
This is one place where hand signals are useful. When I see blue lights I generally make suitable accommodation on the road (as you did) but also signal to the vehicles following that that is what I am doing. In general they take the hint and stop behind me, then notice the blue lights as they fly past.
In this case it shouldn't have been necessary, as she should have checked at the give way lines that it was OK to proceed, but she didn't. I know I was just passed the lines, but I wasn't causing any problem for the ambulance and was watching its somewhat progress. She arrived after me by which the ambulance was just about to enter the r/a.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Funny story. In the 70s they built some speed bumps at Nottingham University. They were deceptively long and low but were precisely designed as a sine wave and really upset the suspension of the cars of the day should they exceed the design speed of 20mph. I overtook a Citroen Dyane as it slowed for a bump. It then forged past me on the straight - but oh dear there was another bump a short way ahead. The Citroen braked hard but too late. I should point out that the Citroen had passengers in the back seat and a full rack (12x12) of eggs on the rear shelf. As the car hit the bump the eggs jumped in the air and as the car was still braking hard, they came back down one row in front. The front row therefore fell down the backs of the rear seat passengers who were leaning forwards under braking. As the driver released the brakes the passengers went back in their seats, squashing the eggs and causing me much hilarity.
Last edited by gxaustin on 16 Jan 2017, 8:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Nice story but why the shouty?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Interesting failure, since that was the original design brief of a 2CV - to carry a basket of eggs across a ploughed field :lol:
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Capitals are SHOUTY - I just used a larger font because I prefer it to 8 point or whatever this is.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

Interesting failure, since that was the original design brief of a 2CV - to carry a basket of eggs across a ploughed field

Indeed
mjr

Post by mjr »

gxaustin wrote:

Capitals are SHOUTY - I just used a larger font because I prefer it to 8 point or whatever this is.

No, large font is also shouty. If you prefer a large font, reconfigure your browser: it's Preferences: Content: Fonts in mine. I can also change one website at a time by holding ctrl and pressing + and - or using the mouse wheel.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

OK, I'm waving a white flag in the face of overwhelming force
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

What about when it's another cyclist?

[youtube]ycOEGWnM_3Y[/youtube]
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Still MGIF.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
karlt

Post by karlt »

Benefit of the doubt - he may not have known about the oncoming crossing at the point he overtook you.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Still a blind corner
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.