100 mile a day commute?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
landsurfer

Re: 100 mile a day commute?

Post by landsurfer »

Elizabethsdad wrote:
landsurfer wrote:I honestly believe that the ebike question is the greatest "elephant in the room " of modern cycling.

I find your attitude to be elitist and tiresome. Pedelecs or e-bikes have there own place as a form of cycling and transport - they are not moped/motorcycle substitutes.

Mmm ...yes they are ... Could I set a human powered bicycle speed record with an electric motor ?
Could I ride a ten mile TT using an electric motor.

I've never been call elitist before .... Thank you. :) working class lad done well ....

I think electric powered cycles are brilliant ... My wife has one and it gives her the ability to come out with me and the grand children. But it's not Cycling .... Sorry.
Last edited by landsurfer on 30 Dec 2016, 10:14pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
PhilWhitehurst

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

Could I ride a 10 mile TT on a recumbent? No! Is it most definitely a bike? Yes!
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

PhilWhitehurst wrote:Could I ride a 10 mile TT on a recumbent? No! Is it most definitely a bike? Yes!

Could I ride a 10 mile TT on a penny farthing ? No! Is it most definitely a bike ? Yes!

Missing the point slightly I think Chap ...
Be more Mike.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

landsurfer wrote:
Elizabethsdad wrote:
landsurfer wrote:I honestly believe that the ebike question is the greatest "elephant in the room " of modern cycling.

I find your attitude to be elitist and tiresome. Pedelecs or e-bikes have there own place as a form of cycling and transport - they are not moped/motorcycle substitutes.

Mmm ...yes they are ... Could I set a human powered bicycle speed record with an electric motor ?

I've never been call elitist before .... Thank you. :) working class lad done well ....

I think electric powered cycles are brilliant ... My wife has one and it gives her the ability to come out with me and the grand children. But it's not Cycling .... Sorry.

The point is somewhere over that hill. The defi Jon of cycling is not limited to the UCI regulations. Otherwise we could suggest that it can't be driving because there isn't a rear wing on a car
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

[XAP]Bob wrote:The point is somewhere over that hill. The defi Jon of cycling is not limited to the UCI regulations. Otherwise we could suggest that it can't be driving because there isn't a rear wing on a car

Good point, .... bicycles, tandem's, trikes, recumbants .... All are part of the cycling world.
IMPO the addition of non human motive power, primary or secondary , is a change to a different vehicle type.
Be more Mike.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Meanwhile, back with big daily mileages, here's something that gives an idea of what's involved.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-no ... e-38131533

Kajsa Tylen has ridden 32326 miles in 2016 and she wasn't doing a full-time job while she did it. That's a tad under 90 miles a day. And on my constant theme of what's going on in a rider's head:

"I always knew I'd finish it unless I got injured or ill, but sometimes I wanted to pack it all in.
"I had to write event logs and I've got notes on the back on them and on some I've just written "why am I doing this?".

Various reasons why this isn't totally comparable, apart from her not working. She didn't have weekends off or holidays and she was able to vary the route just as she wished.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

landsurfer wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:The point is somewhere over that hill. The defi Jon of cycling is not limited to the UCI regulations. Otherwise we could suggest that it can't be driving because there isn't a rear wing on a car

Good point, .... bicycles, tandem's, trikes, recumbants .... All are part of the cycling world.
IMPO the addition of non human motive power, primary or secondary , is a change to a different vehicle type.

When did you last try an e-bike?
For the vast majority of my commute the e-assist is disabled by law, it's only when I hit a hill that it provides support (it doesn't do all the work by a long shot)
So for the vast majority of the time I just have a heavier cycle. But when it does uphill I have a stoker who can help keep the speed up.

So does my vehicle type change based on terrain?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
PH

Post by PH »

landsurfer wrote:Mmm ...yes they are ... Could I set a human powered bicycle speed record with an electric motor ?

Can you cycle tour on one, using routes where motor vehicles are not permitted? - Yes
can you go on a CTC ride on one? - Yes, several riders use them with my member group.

For someone who seems committed enough to the CTC as to make a deal of it in their signature, it's a pity you can't think beyond sport when it comes to cycling.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Yesterday I started cycling up a slight gradient 1in14?? when about 20yds ahead a chap with an E bike cycled out of his gate in front of me. I was cycling just slightly faster than he, but he was pedalling all the time and I could hear the motor giving assistance. As far as I was concerned he was cycling.
The 'problem' seems to be many E bikes don't look ergonomic to me. For all I know this person may have been putting in as much effort as me.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

PH wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Mmm ...yes they are ... Could I set a human powered bicycle speed record with an electric motor ?

For someone who seems committed enough to the CTC as to make a deal of it in their signature, it's a pity you can't think beyond sport when it comes to cycling.

Welllll ..... I don't take part in any " cycle sport ..".. Just ride, tour and the odd sportive ..... And that's only if its a nice route. And I don't rush ...

Let me a different tack ..... I love rugby, played it for 25 years.... If the rules where "improved " and the ball became a sphere and you where not allowed to touch the ball only kick it, it could still be called rugby ..... But it would not be RUGBY ......
That sort lays out my feelings about electric motor powered and assisted bi- cycles.......

And back to the thread ??????? :D
Be more Mike.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

MikeF wrote:Yesterday I started cycling up a slight gradient 1in14?? when about 20yds ahead a chap with an E bike cycled out of his gate in front of me. I was cycling just slightly faster than he, but he was pedalling all the time and I could hear the motor giving assistance. As far as I was concerned he was cycling.
The 'problem' seems to be many E bikes don't look ergonomic to me. For all I know this person may have been putting in as much effort as me.

His E bike weighs much more, he might have been using more energy than you, even with assistance.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Like others here my opinion about pedelecs has modified some what (especially if you have a less energetic aging partner, I will still chase them down tho :mrgreen:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

landsurfer wrote:
PH wrote:

Welllll ..... I don't take part in any " cycle sport ..".. Just ride, tour and the odd sportive ..... And that's only if its a nice route. And I don't rush ...

Let me a different tack ..... I love rugby, played it for 25 years.... If the rules where "improved " and the ball became a sphere and you where not allowed to touch the ball only kick it, it could still be called rugby ..... But it would not be RUGBY ......
That sort lays out my feelings about electric motor powered and assisted bi- cycles.......

And back to the thread ??????? :D

I am still strong enough to use an ordinary bike and my instinct says E-bikes are not cycles, but I plan to take a test ride in 2017 so I know what I am talking about.

On thing about E-bikes, they are very expensive. The LBS here used to be a bike shop. Now it offers "cycles and E-bikes". Great chance to increase turnover and use of resources. Not quite as bad as the scheme to scrap old usable cars to promote new car sales. :cry:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I fully expect that in the distant future I will embrace the electric way when I am no longer able to enjoy pedal power.
Some of the electric bikes in my LBS are of the off road type, Mountain bikes, very expensive, £4-6k and as sold for off road use are not constrained by road use regs....
Electric Trail Bikes .... An upcoming artical in a national motorcycle magazine (Bike) will prove an interesting read.
Be more Mike.
PH

Post by PH »

landsurfer wrote:Let me a different tack ..... I love rugby, played it for 25 years.... If the rules where "improved " and the ball became a sphere and you where not allowed to touch the ball only kick it, it could still be called rugby ..... But it would not be RUGBY ......

More sport. Have you any examples that are not sports?
You talk of rules, but they're only there so no one has an unfair advantage. If it's not competitive, why would any advantage be unfair? Unfair to who?