Miles-in-a-year record broken by Kajsa Tylen

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Re: well beat this?

Post by thirdcrank »

Thanks for the clarification. :D
barrym

Post by barrym »

In no way am I belittling this achievement, but different times.....

As I understand it the first record was set by a civil servant working in the week, and cycling in her spare time evenings and weekends, and as mentioned above, a much less sophisticated bike (4 speed derailleur?).

Still, as I said, it's a helluva a feat, one that most of us can barely dream of.
--
Cheers
Barry
PH

Post by PH »

barrym wrote:As I understand it the first record was set by a civil servant working in the week, and cycling in her spare time evenings and weekends,

Billie Fleming? I don't think so
She gained sponsorship from Rudge-Whitworth to provide a bicycle and financial support so that she could ride every day of the year in a wide variety of weather conditions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billie_Fleming
barrym

Post by barrym »

I stand corrected. Just serves to remind me I should check the facts before posting rubbish eh?

I'm sure i read about a lady civil servant doing some massive mileage whilst still working. Hmm, I'll have to put it down to age I suppose:-(
--
Cheers
Barry
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

PH wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:
PH wrote:I was there at the finish in Beeston yesterday. Not only a great achievement but done with such style. She is and will continue to be a great inspiration to many.

On behalf of an overseas forum member with a special interest in places called Beeston, can I check where the finish occurred? The link refers to Breaston.

My error, Breaston indeed, though my excuse (Other than age) is that I also went through Beeston :oops:

Beeston and Breaston on are only about 5 miles apart.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

andrewk wrote:A fantastic achievement of endurance but also indicative of an empty and pointless life.

While I have to admit that if I could take a year off work, I probably wouldn't use it to try to beat Billie Fleming's record, I don't understand this post. Why is someone's life empty and pointless if they spend their time cycling? Even at 88 miles per day, there is plenty of time for other things. Is it because she set out to beat a record? Would you say the same if that record was for the 100 metre breaststroke? That would probably require more time every day in training. And it's not nearly as remarkable as beating Billie Fleming's record because many women have held the 100 metre record.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
PH

Post by PH »

Vorpal wrote:
andrewk wrote:A fantastic achievement of endurance but also indicative of an empty and pointless life.

While I have to admit that if I could take a year off work, I probably wouldn't use it to try to beat Billie Fleming's record, I don't understand this post. Why is someone's life empty and pointless if they spend their time cycling? Even at 88 miles per day, there is plenty of time for other things. Is it because she set out to beat a record? Would you say the same if that record was for the 100 metre breaststroke? That would probably require more time every day in training. And it's not nearly as remarkable as beating Billie Fleming's record because many women have held the 100 metre record.

I've followed her progress throughout the challange, looks like she's had a great year, met people, made friends, been places and achieved an incredible record. Life changing positive stuff. She set out with the same goals as Billie Flemming - to promote and inspire a healthy lifestyle - has fulfilled that and will continue to do so.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

PH wrote:I've followed her progress throughout the challange, looks like she's had a great year, met people, made friends, been places and achieved an incredible record. Life changing positive stuff. She set out with the same goals as Billie Flemming - to promote and inspire a healthy lifestyle - has fulfilled that and will continue to do so.

Which she'll carry with her for the rest of her life,ain't pointless at all IMO :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
geocycle

Re: Miles-in-a-year record broken by Kajsa Tylen

Post by geocycle »

Loved the interview with Billie Fleming! Both Billie and Kajsa are inspirational in their achievements. I'm less enthused by the woman doing closed circuits in Florida, mentally demanding but .....
PhilWhitehurst

Post by PhilWhitehurst »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
eileithyia wrote:However it might be a shortish lived record, as Amanda Coker is currently on course to set a new record beating not only the women's but the men's record.. aiming for 82,000 miles and is currently clocking up around 130+ miles per day. However not entirely convinced, might be within the letter of the law but seems to be doing it entirely on a closed circuit in Florida, with family and friends cheering her on and sometimes joining (pacing??) her for part of each days ride.

130 miles a day won't come close....

Good job then it's typically 235-240 miles a day at the moment and overall average of 229 miles per day after 33 weeks if her attempt so far.