Miles-in-a-year record broken by Kajsa Tylen

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank
Posts: 28648
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: well beat this?

Postby thirdcrank » 1 Jan 2017, 3:47pm

Thanks for the clarification. :D

User avatar
barrym
Posts: 633
Joined: 22 Jun 2012, 10:05am
Location: Corsham - North Wilts

Re: well beat this?

Postby barrym » 1 Jan 2017, 6:25pm

In no way am I belittling this achievement, but different times.....

As I understand it the first record was set by a civil servant working in the week, and cycling in her spare time evenings and weekends, and as mentioned above, a much less sophisticated bike (4 speed derailleur?).

Still, as I said, it's a helluva a feat, one that most of us can barely dream of.
--
Cheers
Barry

PH
Posts: 7487
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: well beat this?

Postby PH » 1 Jan 2017, 6:31pm

barrym wrote:As I understand it the first record was set by a civil servant working in the week, and cycling in her spare time evenings and weekends,

Billie Fleming? I don't think so
She gained sponsorship from Rudge-Whitworth to provide a bicycle and financial support so that she could ride every day of the year in a wide variety of weather conditions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billie_Fleming

User avatar
barrym
Posts: 633
Joined: 22 Jun 2012, 10:05am
Location: Corsham - North Wilts

Re: well beat this?

Postby barrym » 1 Jan 2017, 6:40pm

I stand corrected. Just serves to remind me I should check the facts before posting rubbish eh?

I'm sure i read about a lady civil servant doing some massive mileage whilst still working. Hmm, I'll have to put it down to age I suppose:-(
--
Cheers
Barry

User avatar
TrevA
Posts: 2130
Joined: 1 Jun 2007, 9:12pm
Location: Nottingham

Re: well beat this?

Postby TrevA » 1 Jan 2017, 11:39pm

PH wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:
PH wrote:I was there at the finish in Beeston yesterday. Not only a great achievement but done with such style. She is and will continue to be a great inspiration to many.


On behalf of an overseas forum member with a special interest in places called Beeston, can I check where the finish occurred? The link refers to Breaston.

My error, Breaston indeed, though my excuse (Other than age) is that I also went through Beeston :oops:


Beeston and Breaston on are only about 5 miles apart.

Vorpal
Moderator
Posts: 17198
Joined: 19 Jan 2009, 3:34pm
Location: Not there ;)

Re: well beat this?

Postby Vorpal » 2 Jan 2017, 9:04am

andrewk wrote:A fantastic achievement of endurance but also indicative of an empty and pointless life.

While I have to admit that if I could take a year off work, I probably wouldn't use it to try to beat Billie Fleming's record, I don't understand this post. Why is someone's life empty and pointless if they spend their time cycling? Even at 88 miles per day, there is plenty of time for other things. Is it because she set out to beat a record? Would you say the same if that record was for the 100 metre breaststroke? That would probably require more time every day in training. And it's not nearly as remarkable as beating Billie Fleming's record because many women have held the 100 metre record.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

PH
Posts: 7487
Joined: 21 Jan 2007, 12:31am
Location: Derby
Contact:

Re: well beat this?

Postby PH » 2 Jan 2017, 12:32pm

Vorpal wrote:
andrewk wrote:A fantastic achievement of endurance but also indicative of an empty and pointless life.

While I have to admit that if I could take a year off work, I probably wouldn't use it to try to beat Billie Fleming's record, I don't understand this post. Why is someone's life empty and pointless if they spend their time cycling? Even at 88 miles per day, there is plenty of time for other things. Is it because she set out to beat a record? Would you say the same if that record was for the 100 metre breaststroke? That would probably require more time every day in training. And it's not nearly as remarkable as beating Billie Fleming's record because many women have held the 100 metre record.

I've followed her progress throughout the challange, looks like she's had a great year, met people, made friends, been places and achieved an incredible record. Life changing positive stuff. She set out with the same goals as Billie Flemming - to promote and inspire a healthy lifestyle - has fulfilled that and will continue to do so.

reohn2
Posts: 35859
Joined: 26 Jun 2009, 8:21pm

Re: well beat this?

Postby reohn2 » 2 Jan 2017, 3:38pm

PH wrote:I've followed her progress throughout the challange, looks like she's had a great year, met people, made friends, been places and achieved an incredible record. Life changing positive stuff. She set out with the same goals as Billie Flemming - to promote and inspire a healthy lifestyle - has fulfilled that and will continue to do so.


Which she'll carry with her for the rest of her life,ain't pointless at all IMO :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

geocycle
Posts: 1728
Joined: 11 Jan 2007, 9:46am

Re: Miles-in-a-year record broken by Kajsa Tylen

Postby geocycle » 2 Jan 2017, 3:47pm

Loved the interview with Billie Fleming! Both Billie and Kajsa are inspirational in their achievements. I'm less enthused by the woman doing closed circuits in Florida, mentally demanding but .....

PhilWhitehurst
Posts: 260
Joined: 9 Aug 2011, 4:14pm

Re: well beat this?

Postby PhilWhitehurst » 2 Jan 2017, 4:19pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:
eileithyia wrote:However it might be a shortish lived record, as Amanda Coker is currently on course to set a new record beating not only the women's but the men's record.. aiming for 82,000 miles and is currently clocking up around 130+ miles per day. However not entirely convinced, might be within the letter of the law but seems to be doing it entirely on a closed circuit in Florida, with family and friends cheering her on and sometimes joining (pacing??) her for part of each days ride.

130 miles a day won't come close....



Good job then it's typically 235-240 miles a day at the moment and overall average of 229 miles per day after 33 weeks if her attempt so far.