Turning right - near miss from overtaking car

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cunobelin

Re: Turning right - near miss from overtaking car

Post by Cunobelin »

psheraton wrote:Hello

I ride into work a lot now and most of the time it is uneventful but I would say 1 out of 10 ries into work soemthing happends.
I was riding into work today and very close to my office so I started to pull out into the middle of the lade to turn right.

When I get to witin 5 meters of turning right a car driver over took me and cut me up. I had to apply my brakes otherwise I would have fit her.
Obviosuly I was not happy but ...I did see her drive into the car park right next to my work. I didnt see the point having a go at her. But it does make me wonder what the law is on this? I have taken a photo of her car registration number. I suspect there is knowone to whitness it.

I found this side https://www.roaddriver.co.uk/ where you can report car drivers.
My only worry is that she could do this again and seriously hurt someone she clearly saw me I have a massive spot light on my helmet and may lights on the back of my mountain bike.

I am a Cycling UK member

Cheers
Paul S

This is the reason I wear a headcam, it solves so many issues, but never use it immediately

Had a similar incident, there is a large company that has a car park just off my commute. It requires a pass to activate the barrier. Car overtook and then cut straight in front of me stopping across my path to enter into the car park.As I had been forced to stop, I simply asked "WHY?" and shrugged my shoulders, then by phone reported it to the their Security, asking for their comments

Reply came back that they had spoken to the driver .........apparently I had caused the problems, had been abusive and threatening!

Checked with security that they had this in writing (email) and then sent the video showing what had actually happened and pointed out that the driver had made serious untrue allegations about my conduct, and what were they going to do about the fact that their employee had not only driven badly, but also lied about their conduct

Their parking rights are removed and there was a formal warning letter about their conduct issued.

There is no point in confrontation at the time, but heascam footage allows you to review the incident in a less heated environment, and provides conclusive evidence when you do wish to take it further
peetee

Post by peetee »

I had exactly the same thing happen to me some years back. I have always ridden defensively and thought my manouevers well in advance with consideration for relative speeds of all road users, eyes and ears open etc etc. Travelling at about 15mph and approx 30 yrds from my intended right turn I looked over my shoulder and the nearest car was about 30yrds behind. It was a 30 zone so the closest it should have got to me was just as I was turning. I moved to the middle of the road and signalled right. With about 10 yards to go and with me still signalling the car came tearing past me on my right - the wrong side of the road. I had heard it accelerating but kept my line not sure which side it as going to pass.
Normally I would have said a few choice words and let of a bit of steam to a kindly ear at home but this was just too much to take. I have always ridden with the attitude that, should anything ever happen to me, anyone having to represent my case could be sure that fault lay elsewhere.
That day I saw red and followed the car and caught up about 300yrds further on and knocked on the side window. Thee driver rolled it down and the conversation went something like this
" what the *** was that all about?"
"I dont know what you are talking about"
"well that makes you a really *** driver. You thought you could save a whole heap of time by racing me to that junction yet here I am, a pain in the *** slow-coach cyclist who had caught you up in 300 yards. Well you've spoilt my day so now I am going to spoil yours."
I grabbed the keys out of the ignition and threw them into the back of her car.
My only regret was that I didn't find the nearest drain and dangle them over it waiting for an apology.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I always think there would be a case to throw them down a drain, or into the middle of a field, thus disarming them of their deadly weapon.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

peetee wrote:I moved to the middle of the road and signalled right. With about 10 yards to go and with me still signalling the car came tearing past me on my right - the wrong side of the road.

I guess she is a supporter of the British Cycling Petition:
https://takeaction.britishcycling.org.uk/node/16?utm_source=CB#more
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

So was this an overtake or undertake??? Still trying to work it out..... The one that concerns me is the motorist who persists in overtaking despite the fact i am indicating to right ... very clearly......
Lots of drivers will attempt to undertake other road users when they are turning right... so is it unusual for one to undertake a cyclist?

Just a thought. :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
peetee

Post by peetee »

The one that concerns me is the motorist who persists in overtaking despite the fact i am indicating to right ... very clearly......

Precicely that. It was a reckless overtake. I signalled my intention with no vehicles within 30 yards of me in a 30 zone on a straight single carriageway road This is the view over my shoulder back down the road I had come, from the point where I moved the the right of my lane and indicated a right turn. The nearest car was approaching me (and the camera) at a distance equivilent to the cyclist.
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@50.8 ... -11.26p,1z
This is the view in the direction of travel towards the right turn I was indicating for
https://www.instantstreetview.com/@50.8 ... -10.08p,1z
The turn is where the approaching white van is, and I was overtaken at the end of the red painted wall on the left.
With about 15 yards to go I heard the car behind accelerating hard and held my line in the road as there was no time to look behind, assess/predict their path and take avoiding action. Within 3-4 seconds the car passed me on my right (opposite carriageway) at approx 40mph.
psheraton

Post by psheraton »

Hi Mate

Can I ask what headcam you have?
I have actually bought a Fly6 rear camera now

Cheers
Paul

Cunobelin wrote:
psheraton wrote:Hello

I ride into work a lot now and most of the time it is uneventful but I would say 1 out of 10 ries into work soemthing happends.
I was riding into work today and very close to my office so I started to pull out into the middle of the lade to turn right.

When I get to witin 5 meters of turning right a car driver over took me and cut me up. I had to apply my brakes otherwise I would have fit her.
Obviosuly I was not happy but ...I did see her drive into the car park right next to my work. I didnt see the point having a go at her. But it does make me wonder what the law is on this? I have taken a photo of her car registration number. I suspect there is knowone to whitness it.

I found this side https://www.roaddriver.co.uk/ where you can report car drivers.
My only worry is that she could do this again and seriously hurt someone she clearly saw me I have a massive spot light on my helmet and may lights on the back of my mountain bike.

I am a Cycling UK member

Cheers
Paul S

This is the reason I wear a headcam, it solves so many issues, but never use it immediately

Had a similar incident, there is a large company that has a car park just off my commute. It requires a pass to activate the barrier. Car overtook and then cut straight in front of me stopping across my path to enter into the car park.As I had been forced to stop, I simply asked "WHY?" and shrugged my shoulders, then by phone reported it to the their Security, asking for their comments

Reply came back that they had spoken to the driver .........apparently I had caused the problems, had been abusive and threatening!

Checked with security that they had this in writing (email) and then sent the video showing what had actually happened and pointed out that the driver had made serious untrue allegations about my conduct, and what were they going to do about the fact that their employee had not only driven badly, but also lied about their conduct

Their parking rights are removed and there was a formal warning letter about their conduct issued.

There is no point in confrontation at the time, but heascam footage allows you to review the incident in a less heated environment, and provides conclusive evidence when you do wish to take it further
psheraton

Post by psheraton »

I noticed this drivers road Tax has expired so ive reported them too.
karlt

Post by karlt »

eileithyia wrote:So was this an overtake or undertake??? Still trying to work it out..... The one that concerns me is the motorist who persists in overtaking despite the fact i am indicating to right ... very clearly......
Lots of drivers will attempt to undertake other road users when they are turning right:

Indeed, the Highway Code lists it as one of the occasions when it's perfectly acceptable to do so.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

karlt wrote:
eileithyia wrote:So was this an overtake or undertake??? Still trying to work it out..... The one that concerns me is the motorist who persists in overtaking despite the fact i am indicating to right ... very clearly......
Lots of drivers will attempt to undertake other road users when they are turning right:

Indeed, the Highway Code lists it as one of the occasions when it's perfectly acceptable to do so.

Unless of course the overtaking vehicle then turns right in front of the vehicle it has overtaken (which is what I believe the OP was reporting).
nigelnightmare

Post by nigelnightmare »

Psamathe wrote:If it were me based on what you had said (and clearly different situations suggest different responses and) I'd have identified which offices/work place she went into and then raised a complaint to the company (maybe or maybe not quoting the vehicle registration number). I'd express it as my concern about vehicle movements that are clearly associated with their building and the hazard they are creating maybe through pressure/risks of arriving late or whatever reason. I would not concern myself about it being or not being a company vehicle or strict company use. I would expect an employer to think it was really nothing to do with them but to probably have words with the driver just to cover themselves (which would possible have greater impact than confronting the driver directly).

That said I have confronted drivers before (maybe 3 or 4 times in 3 years) - sometimes totally useless whilst others it may have made the driver "reflect" e.g. when I get the "I didn't notice you" I respond "what does that say about your driving, would you have noticed the bumps as you ran over my body?".

I did once get cut-up by a driver and 2 mins later came across a PCSO on a Police bicycle (with all the chequered paint job) and stopped to ask if the Police would actually do anything were I to report such incidents. She responded that it depended what I wanted them to do. She said they would record it and if that driver had other reports it would at some point prompt them to call round on the driver and give them a "talking to". She did admit that for a single "being cut-up" they would not be firing up the blues-and-twos.

Ian

Try informing the police that there will be a "breach of the peace" if they fail to take action.

P.S.
Overtaking within 10 meters of a junction is illegal.
karlt

Post by karlt »

AlaninWales wrote:
karlt wrote:

Unless of course the overtaking vehicle then turns right in front of the vehicle it has overtaken (which is what I believe the OP was reporting).

I think you are. The OPer was describing a situation where he was overtaken - i.e. on his right - by another vehicle whilst he was signalling right.
peetee

Post by peetee »

I noticed this drivers road Tax has expired so ive reported them too.

Ah, things may not be what they seem here. It 's no longer an offence to fail to show a valid licence disc. Renewals are now electronically managed and the police have up-to-date info on all vehicles so the old tax disc is obsolete. The one displayed in our car is 3 years old. I really must remove it.......later - it's raining. :roll: