Hostile reaction to cheery greeting - Is it just me?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Roadster

Re: Is it just me?

Post by Roadster »

A bell is much more effective than vocalizing because it's a long-established convention which, as that video showed, is immediately and universally understood and respected. Furthermore, it requires no social interaction between cyclist and pedestrian, which may not always be welcomed and is in any case unnecessary for such brief and routine encounters between strangers. Nevertheless, I always make a point of thanking the pedestrians who give way for me.

However, not all bells are created equal and a good quality bell is much more effective than a poor quality one. I was singularly unimpressed with my previous bell - a BBB "Loud & Clear" which was in fact neither - and so were the pedestrians it was supposed to warn. Something had to be done so I pushed the boat out for a Crane Suzu Mini with Die-Cast Alloy Clamp:-
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crane-Bell-Alu ... +mini+suzu

The Crane makes a pleasing chime which is both loud and sustained, forewarning of my approach from a greater distance than was previously possible. Consequently, pedestrians are less startled and are given more time to react, which hugely improves their experience of the encounter.
Postboxer

Re: Hostile reaction to cheery greeting - Is it just me?

Post by Postboxer »

Coconuts, people like horses don't they? Nice gentle sound too.
meic

Post by meic »

as that video showed, is immediately and universally understood and respected.
In Japanese cities.
Yma o Hyd
Si

Post by Si »

bell vs voice - does it have to be an either/or? I normally slow, ring, issue a polite excuse me and wait for it to be safe to pass, adding a thank you as appropriate. Seems to work for me.
Si

Post by Si »

meic wrote:
as that video showed, is immediately and universally understood and respected.
In Japanese cities.

Notice how well trained they are.....they tend to clear one side of the path.....whereas in the UK you often get a pair of people initially swapping places.....but at least it gives you a chance to have a giggle with a stranger.
RobC

Post by RobC »

Context is everything.

I'd never ring my bell on a crowded shared path, unless on a canal towpath when approaching blind bends
I'd certainly use my bell while cycling on the carriageway and I spot a pedestrian potentially stepping into the road without looking my way (with hands over brakes of course).

Those modern 'ping' bells do have a rather obnoxious tone.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

On occasions when I have used my bicycle bell to warn someone of my presence it is completely ignored - only after repeated ringing and calling out is my existence acknowledged.
Bez

Post by Bez »

Personally I think it's a bit off to start ringing a bell and expect people to move out of the way. (Which is why I don't personally like bells: that seems to be their predominant function.)

Imagine you're riding on the road and someone in a car behind starts honking the horn, expecting you to move out of their way…
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
millimole

Post by millimole »

RobC wrote:Context is everything.

I'd never ring my bell on a crowded shared path, unless on a canal towpath when approaching blind bends

Another example of how you will never please everyone in this case, and no-one is right!
I spend a lot of my volunteering hours sitting on a lock gate near a blind bend and whenever I hear I bike bell I think to myself ' here comes another self-important bike rider who wants everyone else to get out of there way'.
There is no right, and no wrong in the use of bells / voice

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my brain to my iPad using my fingers and Tapatalk
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I like to whistle or sing (OSTTTOA, one song to the tune of another).

One could also try barking or growling like a dog

Wwufff!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

The last time I used my modern ping bell (with an obnoxious tone) the young couple I was slowly approaching from behind both stopped dead in their tracks and started patting their pockets looking for their phone :roll:
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Threevok

Post by Threevok »

I tried shouting "STRAVA" a couple of times, but it doesn't work that well.

Ironically, it does work in coffee shop queues at trail parks :twisted:
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Damned if you do damned if you don't. Some time ago when negotiating a track that needed both hands on brakes to control the tandem, walkers who had already moved out of the way for the ex.. moved back across the track without looking.... my cheery 'Hello, coming past' (or whatever) was greeted with a friendly comment re bells..... explained even if i had one i would not be able to take hand off the bars to operate it as i needed both on the brakes. :lol:

Locally on our shared paths it would not matter if you used a bell or voice, they are all permenently plugged into a device and oblivious to all passing traffic.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
BakfietsUK

Post by BakfietsUK »

I can hear a car without the driver needing to sound the horn. Maybe bikes could be fitted with loudspeakers broadcasting engine noise and smoke generators to cover everyone with fumes and dust. Then bells may not be needed.