Bike cameras

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Colgrenfell

Bike cameras

Post by Colgrenfell »

Hoping that this hasn't been done to death but I'm considering a bike camera to use whilst commuting. With nothing more than vague annecdotal experience it feels like cycling has become more unsafe over the course of the last 20 years commuting in London and Edinburgh with drivers becoming more selfish, faster, and taking less care of others on the road. I've yet to have an accident and I'm touching wood now, but in the event of a spill I'd like documentary evidence to help with insurance companies. The police seem to be doing precious little to stop speeding or poor driving or use of mobile phones.

So hive-mind what are your recommendations? I'd like to avoid spending a fortune and would probably need 3-4 hrs usage before recharging. Ideally I wouldn't have to wipe clean the memory card before each use. Just clamp on my bike and set off. What are you all using?
landsurfer

Re: Bike cameras

Post by landsurfer »

Bike cameras, like CCTV , will not make you safer ,,,,
It may well allow your loved ones see how the accident happened .. but will not stop it happening.
You need to be really sure why your recording your cycling ...
it may well show how your actions led to your injury by your own stupidity ....? "Their" lawyers will love that ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
millimole

Post by millimole »

Colgrenfell wrote:
So hive-mind what are your recommendations? I'd like to avoid spending a fortune and would probably need 3-4 hrs usage before recharging. Ideally I wouldn't have to wipe clean the memory card before each use. Just clamp on my bike and set off. What are you all using?

Exactly my question - but I want to stress 'on the bike' - I don't wear anything on my head, and I'd prefer a forward facing camera.
(There are valid discussions on the pros & cons of camera use - but let's park those elsewhere?)

I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my brain to my iPad using my fingers and Tapatalk
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
jatindersangha

Post by jatindersangha »

I use the Cycliq Fly6 (rear) and Fly12 (front).

They function as bike lights as well as cameras so you may end up with less clutter on the bike. They automatically overwrite the memory card when it becomes full.

I always use two rear lights and given it's winter, I have a very bright front light - meaning I can use the Fly6 in camera/dim-flashing mode and the Fly12 in camera-only mode for my week's worth of commuting without having to charge them.

However, if I use the front camera as a flashing light as well, then I'd have to re-charge it mid-week.

My round-trip commute by bike is 90 minutes per day.

--Jatinder
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I'll get my 'anti recommendation' in so you don't make the same mistake I did.

I decided on the TomTom Garmin Bandit Action camera for bike videos (not for litigious reasons on my bike) family use and as a dash camera for my work vehicle. What a big mistake.

3 cameras in a row were faulty which consistently shut down after about 3 minutes. I missed filming my family at Christmas and a new year mountain bike tour. It guiles me that I sold my old camera to pay for this! None of the TomTom cameras made it off my kitchen table let alone experience the brutality of a bike. It is still an ongoing issue 2 months later with regard to a refund from TomTom. No such thing as customer service after a sale has been made. The software is very poor too. Utter rubbish.

I quite like the reviews of the new GoPro but it's expensive and I prefer a 'torpedo' shape.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Just to add a second vote for the Fly6.
It's pretty much a perfect rear light/camera. My only complaint is the rubber bands that hold it on, if you take it on and off they do eventually perish and you need replacements.
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

landsurfer wrote:Bike cameras, like CCTV , will not make you safer ,,,,
It may well allow your loved ones see how the accident happened .. but will not stop it happening.
You need to be really sure why your recording your cycling ...
it may well show how your actions led to your injury by your own stupidity ....? "Their" lawyers will love that ....

Indeed, but I'm still thinking of getting one. As a commuter I'm on the same road at the same time everyday and get close passed by the same motorists. I notice repeat offenders, though it was only afterwards that I realized the van that tried to kill me this morning was probably the same one that tried two weeks ago (there are only so many tomato coloured Transits, if it had been a white one I wouldn't have noticed). With video evidence I might be able to get something done before this driver actually hits someone.
Colgrenfell

Post by Colgrenfell »

This is all great stuff... after research I'm surprised by the amount of rear camera users.. If you were only to get a front or a rear camera which would you choose? I had imagined a forward facing one was of more value, as it's motorists overtaking, then left-hooking me - or simply 'smidsy' drivers crossing my path.. and I presume a forward facing camera still records a close pass, just not to the same brown-trousered extent of a rear one..

The Fly12 looks lovely but is ever so spendy..
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Colgrenfell wrote:This is all great stuff... after research I'm surprised by the amount of rear camera users.. If you were only to get a front or a rear camera which would you choose? I had imagined a forward facing one was of more value, as it's motorists overtaking, then left-hooking me - or simply 'smidsy' drivers crossing my path.. and I presume a forward facing camera still records a close pass, just not to the same brown-trousered extent of a rear one..

The Fly12 looks lovely but is ever so spendy..

Probably a front.
Both are better than the sum of the parts though. Firstly if you're clipped from behind chances are you'll have a reg plate, secondly it can add context.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

kwackers wrote:Just to add a second vote for the Fly6.
It's pretty much a perfect rear light/camera. My only complaint is the rubber bands that hold it on, if you take it on and off they do eventually perish and you need replacements.

Cable ties?

In my experience there isn't much you can't sort out with gaffer-tape or cable ties.....
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

tykeboy2003 wrote:Cable ties?

I ride my bike to the station, remove the camera and put it on the 'Boris' bike at the other end - which is handy because the taxi and bus drivers in Liverpool are determined to get me...

I was thinking of some sort of quick release clip. I have some ideas, just waiting for the weather to warm up before I venture into the workshop... :lol:
BakfietsUK

Post by BakfietsUK »

I use a Garmin Virb which has been excellent with good resolution. It is quite expensive and you have to have some basic computer skills plus a computer of course. The file sizes are enormous so I don't keep them more than a couple of months.

To the poster who implied they wont make you safer I would disagree. My behaviour has changed and I believe I ride safer with CCTV. As if I need to use the footage, I don't want to be having to explain any questionable behaviour on my part. That tends to detract from the impact and culpability of the behaviour of the other person. Yes actually I believe that it can change driver behaviour too, especially if they aren't quite sure if we have a camera, they tend to default to their "better selves" - mostly, just to be on the safe side. Knowing there is a "witness" on the handlebars makes me less anxious and I worry less, which is a good outcome for me.

So if enough of us carry any sort of camera the possibility of detection is in the awareness of bad drivers and in most cases human nature would kick in to make us marginally safer in my view. Marginal differences are important. I wonder how many of us have been in a situation where by a hairs breadth we escaped. Now imagine that hairs breadth in the other direction and the proximity of catastrophe. So, I would conclude that marginal gains through cameras just may save my life.
The utility cyclist

Post by The utility cyclist »

This is mine. run time is 'only' 2.5hours, takes an SD card which needs wiping manually but takes seconds to do so. Fully waterproof, can also send vid/stills via wi-fi. Can fit on or under bars and the image self rights itself (so long as it's at any 90degree rotation)
it's not expensive and the mount is very very stable. There are a couple about 'new' on ebay for as little as £45 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ION-Air-Pro-L ... SwA3dYiNW9
however these look not too disimilar http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Latest-F9-Hea ... 2377360818
They aren't the fit and overwrite and forget type, personally I think overwriting stuff means you can't review everything anyway, not just 'incidents' and for me at least downloading a whole HD vid onto the computer whilst I'm charging it via USB takes a couple of minutes tops. I then screw it back onto the mount (if I haven't just taken the card out after a short ride so no need to charge)
Adnepos

Post by Adnepos »

I use the Cycliq Fly6 (rear) and Fly12 (front) and am happy with them.

They automatically overwrite the memory card when it becomes full.

When considering the price and space on bike, remember that Cycliq devices are bike lights as well as cameras. They have a good battery -time depends on how much light you want.

Space on the seat post can be limited. I subscribe to the one flashing/one steady party. With a reflector as well, even with a combined camera and reflector, I have no space for a bag under my seat. I need to buy a smaller-frame bike so I can have more space under my saddle -I'll try this on my wife...

Not special to Cycliq but worthy of consideration when pricing, remember that it is better to have the lens central; with your bike computer and perhaps other 'stuff' up front, this positioning can be awkward and you may wish to buy (yes, more cost) a mounting that allows you to sling your front camera under the stem.

Cycliq do not provide the Fly 12 with a securing bolt! I haven't yet got round to buying a bolt that I can secure using my fingers so I need screwdriver to release it: not good for parking up.

The Fly 6 is secured by what can be called rubber bands. When considering buying, this is not impressive for expensive kit. However, it works well. I can readily transfer the device to other bikes and can take it off when I park up.
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

I use a Garmin Virb (the older one). I get about 2hrs 45 mins out of a battery, and carry a spare (you can swop them in and out quite easily). Video capacity depends on the capacity of the card you put in.

I do switch it off then on again every now and again so the videos don't get too long.

I use the handlebar mount, it picks up lots of road, gear, chain, brake noise etc. but not very good on voice with all the other background noise I suspect that bike-mounted cameras my all have this problem. Looks a bit like a lamp when on the bike.

But generally happy with it.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !