Doris

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Bonefishblues

Re: Doris

Post by Bonefishblues »

Some trees down and much debris here in N Oxon. Not a day for bicycling...
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

In the last half hour, the cloud has lifted to thin high wisps with blue skies, and the wind has dropped to just a gentle breeze with the occasional stronger gust.

Hopefully, the westerly airflow will send this over to the north and to the east.
Mick F. Cornwall
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Well named or not, crying wolf or not.... at the height of the storm here it was not advisable to be out in it, indeed I thought she was trying to get in through the garage roof, we have lost 2 fence panels and another 3 in the close have also gone, I have seen several trees down or know of trees down ... one near a local cycle cafe, one between M61, Tesco and our town (diversion a minimum of 3-4 miles) other trees were within hedges where they were not across roads... that's before i start on debris, advrtising hoardings, for sale signs, bits of branches etc.......
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Well to be fair that's the windiest I think I've personally seen it.
Lots of uprooted trees, broken branches a few collapsed walls, lots of damaged cars.

I lost a ridge tile, a couple of fence panels and some patio furniture went for a walk - which doesn't sound much but that's big league for me!
LiaFrood

Post by LiaFrood »

colin54 wrote:
Doris is a proper British name for a storm though

What's wrong with Stormy or Cony?

If I would name a storm, I would call it Storm.
Dyma fi. :D
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

LiaFrood wrote:
colin54 wrote:
Doris is a proper British name for a storm though

What's wrong with Stormy or Cony?

If I would name a storm, I would call it Storm.

I'd call it Gail.

Was cycleable first thing and from later this afternoon. Awful at midday in north Lancs.
LiaFrood

Post by LiaFrood »

I'd call it Gail.

Great!
Any other names for storms?

(You could call it Draft but not Daft)
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

naming storms makes idiots like me less likely to let the wind do the job of their legs... too much. but i love, and suspect a touch of humour (come on, guys?), in the suggestion of it being a marketing scam.

rain doesn't bother me so much, but winds like these could and often do see me chaining my bike up at the interchange, and do the rest of the journey completely static in cold damp clothes on a colder damper bus.

you think she'd appreciate the effort, tell me roadies, are you counting your frame in your carbon foot prints? (100% serious face! :) )
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'm happy to report no problems here but the effects seem to have been localised. Usually, the big wind news item is the danger caused around the Bridgwater Place tower which means several main roads have to be closed since a lorry was blown over killing a pedestrian. No mention on the news. Hairy footage of planes being blown about at Leeds/Bradford "International" Airport. I can see both those places out of the bedroom window and I'd not have paid much attention had there not been the reports.

The windiest place in Yorkshire seems to have been in High Bradfield (2014 TdeF route) with 93mph (?) recorded and 95(?) last month when the storm didn't qualify for a name. Footage of a postman in his shorts there. :lol:

Our local weatherman Paul Hudson seemed to suggest that the use of names was not a good idea and that the Met Office were going to review it.

(On the subject of crying "Wolf!" perhaps it's a matter of being a bit more precise with its whereabouts. )

My mercury barometer which measures in old money or at least in inches took a big dive overnight and this morning but in the couple of hours this afternoon when we were supposed to get it worst, it shot up a good inch. I don't know what Admiral Fitzroy would have made of that. :?
ChrisButch

Post by ChrisButch »

It would be as he expected - the 'shooting up' (rapid surface pressure change) usually accompanies the strongest winds. During the 1987 [Michael Fish] 'hurricane' the pressure rose by 20 mb in 3 hours.
Last edited by ChrisButch on 23 Feb 2017, 8:52pm, edited 1 time in total.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

kwackers wrote:Well to be fair that's the windiest I think I've personally seen it.
Lots of uprooted trees, broken branches a few collapsed walls, lots of damaged cars.

I lost a ridge tile, a couple of fence panels and some patio furniture went for a walk - which doesn't sound much but that's big league for me!

Me too,didn't go out of the house other than to collect neighbour's bins as they slid down the street.
One fence panel slightly dislodged,forced it back in :)
It's one of seven panels needing replacing due to age/rot,so I was quite surprised they survived,unless Doreen or Gertrude puts an appearance in,they may survive until summer when they due for replacing :)

Someone's switched the wind off now,thankfully :)

Got to drop the car off for a service tomorrow and ride back on the new folder,glad it wasn't due in today :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

I had to actually climb, carrying my bike, through/over a large tree that had fallen and blocked my path. I had places to get to, and couldn't afford the time to divert around it.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I wimped out and used the car yesterday.

Back on the bike this morning though.
LiaFrood

Post by LiaFrood »

ChrisOntLancs wrote:but i love, and suspect a touch of humour

Thanks!
mjr

Post by mjr »

tykeboy2003 wrote:I wimped out and used the car yesterday.

I dithered about whether to use bike or car yesterday. I decided that more people were being injured in motor vehicles around here (11 in one crash alone), plus I can't lift my car over a fallen tree and it's usually a long way round to find another route (direct is 5 miles by bike or 7 by car, but if there's an obstruction in miles 2 and 3, it's an extra 4 mile detour - and no guarantees that would be open either), so I was going to take the bike... until I got a phone call postponing my appointment because the other party had decided to drive home early instead. I think that was a bit odd (the wind died down an hour or so after the appointment, as forecast) but I wasn't exactly disappointed not to ride in it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.