Cymru am byth - we love Wales!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Cymru am byth - we love Wales!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I love Canada, that string of a country along the US border, although I have never been there. But I read somewhere about a treaty on the rights of first nations. Only four countries did not sign it: USA, Australia, NZ (another promised land?) and Canada. Will Trudeau (the new Obama) act on this?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I love Canada, that string of a country along the US border, although I have never been there. But I read somewhere about a treaty on the rights of first nations. Only four countries did not sign it: USA, Australia, NZ (another promised land?) and Canada. Will Trudeau (the new Obama) act on this?

It's a tangled and difficult issue, and the current government is making some improvements for indigenous people and how we as a nation behave. But the changes are being make very slowly, and a lot of poverty-related problems remain unaddressed. Mr. Trudeau talks the talk, but when it comes to talking action his government is often reluctant to walk the walk. :?

Send me your mailing address in a P.M. and I'll send you an interesting clipping from my local rural weekly paper which illustrates some of the complexities of trying to correct injustices that were committed a century ago.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Dai Woodham and his Barry scrapyard

He bought hundreds of steam locomotives to scrap, but sold many of them (213, including 28 Bullied pacifics!) for preservation instead

The British heritage railways have too many locos, and too many big locos, +1

So we can enjoy bizarre sights such as two LNER A4s stopping at Medstead and Four Marks station on the Watercress Line with a four coach train
pwa

Post by pwa »

My wife took a German visitor for a walk near Ogmore Castle (S.Wales) on Sunday, crossing the river by the stepping stones and strolling into the village of Merthyr Mawr. The German lady said she had noticed how Welsh people say hello and smile at you when you pass them, which she was unaccustomed to in her home city of Berlin. As they walked they passed other walkers and time after time they got a friendly greeting, to the point where the German lady was forcing herself not to laugh. I'm sure there must be parts of Germany where friendliness on the streets can be found, but it is certainly common in Wales.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/sho ... essentials

a few more reasons to love Wales

Microwave oven = Popty ping!

+1
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Eisteddfod Genedlaethol Cymru started today, at Bodedern on Ynys Mon! A long week speaking singing and reciting Welsh, it is peripatetic and has been held in Liverpool, Birkenhead, even Llundain (London), next year it will be in Caerdydd

The international Eisteddfod is always held in Llangollen

+1 for Welsh culture
Cofio Tryweryn!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

We were in North Wales today and were chatting with a Swiss couple on the dock in Conwy,they were telling us how much they were enjoying Wales and how friendly the Welsh people were.
I couldn't agree more :) .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Grauniad reports that Wales is the second-best country at recycling household waste
Germany is no. 1 of course
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

:oops:
reohn2 wrote:We were in North Wales today and were chatting with a Swiss couple on the dock in Conwy,they were telling us how much they were enjoying Wales and how friendly the Welsh people were.

Did you visit the Smallest House? Only costs a quid, the lady keeping it told me many people did not want to pay so much! %(
It is a perfect TinyHome, +1

Looking after the house would be a good retirement job, one meets people from all over, most are friendly

Cycled to Conwy when I was in Wales, walked the town walls (free, a bit exposed)
pwa

Post by pwa »

Just to tempt anyone with an interest in finding out about the former coal mining valleys of South Wales, an area that few tourists get to. Follow this shared use path up the Afan Valley, starting close to the home village of the actor Richard Burton (deceased). At the top of this long path you can transfer to the not-too-busy A road to ascend an Alpine style climb to the highest bit of A road in Wales at about 550m.

Alternatively, branching off at Cymmer you can go to the mountain biking centre near Glyncorrwg a couple of miles to the North.

Sadly the Google people have only got up a fraction of the path but you get the feel. Note the MTB trails going off to the side.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6339785 ... 6?hl=en-GB

High up, where the A4107 comes out to give you a view over Treherbert (several miles of descent to the railway station).https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6398479 ... 6?hl=en-GB

Afan Valley MTB Centre.https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6735689 ... 6?hl=en-GB
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Cyril Haearn wrote::oops:
reohn2 wrote:We were in North Wales today and were chatting with a Swiss couple on the dock in Conwy,they were telling us how much they were enjoying Wales and how friendly the Welsh people were.

Did you visit the Smallest House? Only costs a quid, the lady keeping it told me many people did not want to pay so much! %(

Looking after the house would be a good retirement job, one meets people from all over, most are friendly

Cycled to Conwy when I was in Wales, walked the town walls (free, a bit exposed)

We were sat on a bench just outside the smallest house.I've never felt the need to visit but not because of the price but at 1.83m more concerned about banging my head on ceiling :shock:
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

pwa wrote:Just to tempt anyone with an interest in finding out about the former coal mining valleys of South Wales, an area that few tourists get to. Follow this shared use path up the Afan Valley, starting close to the home village of the actor Richard Burton (deceased). At the top of this long path you can transfer to the not-too-busy A road to ascend an Alpine style climb to the highest bit of A road in Wales at about 550m.

Alternatively, branching off at Cymmer you can go to the mountain biking centre near Glyncorrwg a couple of miles to the North.

Sadly the Google people have only got up a fraction of the path but you get the feel. Note the MTB trails going off to the side.

High up, where the A4107 comes out to give you a view over Treherbert (several miles of descent to the railway station).https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6398479 ... 6?hl=en-GB

What's betting EU money paid for some of that :wink:
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

reohn2 wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote::oops:

We were sat on a bench just outside the smallest house.I've never felt the need to visit but not because of the price but at 1.83m more concerned about banging my head on ceiling :shock:

Plas Mawr, the Big House, also in Conwy would be the place for you
pwa

Post by pwa »

reohn2 wrote:
pwa wrote:Just to tempt anyone with an interest in finding out about the former coal mining valleys of South Wales, an area that few tourists get to. Follow this shared use path up the Afan Valley, starting close to the home village of the actor Richard Burton (deceased). At the top of this long path you can transfer to the not-too-busy A road to ascend an Alpine style climb to the highest bit of A road in Wales at about 550m.

What's betting EU money paid for some of that :wink:

Don't start!

It did, actually.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ydw hoffi yr gymdeithas ewrop!
We love the EU!