Cymru am byth - we love Wales!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Cymru am byth - we love Wales!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I cannae think of anything to criticise about Wales, not today
Cymru hyfryd am byth!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

fausto copy wrote:I feel a couple of corrections are in order:

Cudgel's assumption that there are no large and speeding BMW's in Pembrokeshire is well wide of the mark.
Sadly, they're ten a penny down here with hundreds of youngsters driving round in them thanks to the wonders of low rental rates.

And Cyril Haearn's quote from the Welsh Anthem: "while the sea protects us as a wall"
is unfortunately now inaccurate, given that it's eroding most of the coastline around these parts.

And I may add that I never found Marc Bolan to look that frightening.
I think I'll have to by-pass Ceredigion in future. :lol:

P.S. Just got back from 4 days in Cardiff.
Wonderful to see Bute Park and Victoria Park absolutely heaving with folks enjoying the warm weather.
'Twas better then the Summer Holidays.

In this part of Ceredigion there a very few folk, even less of the younger ilk since there are very few jobs. Mostly there are immigrants of the pensioner variety. I yam one such. :-) Anyroadup, there are consequently very few cars at all; and therefore very few indeed of the BMW-inhabited-by-silly-yoofs variety. I found North Pembs to be similar. Perhaps you are talking of the southern end, where there are larger towns and even jobs?

I will mention that many of the very few car drivers do have a bad habit of tailgating, if I go in the car. I do drive with care (i.e not at 60 or even 50 down the narrow & winding roads) so perhaps it's just dafties thinking that because they didn't crash yesterday when rounding a blind bend at 60mph, they won't today - so they try to push me on. Ha!

Cardiff. Is that still in Wales? It looks and feels more Midlands these days. Stuffed with folk pretending to enjoy themselves via various degrees of self-abuse, often leading to the abuse of others.

Cugel, now 100% woolly-back yokel.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

Remember today 'we' must all ride around with a daffodil affixed to our handlebars while chewing on a leek.
Pat the gog.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cugel wrote:

Cudgel's assumption that there are no large and speeding BMW's in Pembrokeshire is well wide of the mark.
Sadly, they're ten a penny down here with hundreds of youngsters driving round in them thanks to the wonders of low rental rates.

And Cyril Haearn's quote from the Welsh Anthem: "while the sea protects us as a wall"
is unfortunately now inaccurate, given that it's eroding most of the coastline around these parts.

Wonderful to see Bute Park and Victoria Park absolutely heaving with folks enjoying the warm weather.

In this part of Ceredigion there a very few folk, even less of the younger ilk since there are very few jobs. Mostly there are immigrants of the pensioner variety. I yam one such. :-) Anyroadup, there are consequently very few cars at all; and therefore very few indeed of the BMW-inhabited-by-silly-yoofs variety. I found North Pembs to be similar. Perhaps you are talking of the southern end, where there are larger towns and even jobs?

I will mention that many of the very few car drivers do have a bad habit of tailgating, if I go in the car. I do drive with care (i.e not at 60 or even 50 down the narrow & winding roads) so perhaps it's just dafties thinking that because they didn't crash yesterday when rounding a blind bend at 60mph, they won't today - so they try to push me on. Ha!

Cardiff. Is that still in Wales? It looks and feels more Midlands these days. Stuffed with folk pretending to enjoy themselves via various degrees of self-abuse, often leading to the abuse of others.

My son has had two small cars written off on Ceredigion roads. On both occasions he was hit, while stationary, by a 4x4 pick-up that was being driven too fast to stop at a pinch point on a narrow road with passing places.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

pwa wrote:
Cugel wrote:

My son has had two small cars written off on Ceredigion roads. On both occasions he was hit, while stationary, by a 4x4 pick-up that was being driven too fast to stop at a pinch point on a narrow road with passing places.

There is an all-too-human mental process that goes: If something bad didn't happen yesterday in these circumstances, then something bad can't happen today in the same circumstances.

Of course, the circumstances are not the same really. Today there is the stationary car around the blind bend......

Happily it matters far less on a bike - at least it does to an experienced cyclist. Although 99% of drivers I come across in Wales slow right down, or even stop, as I come to them on a narrow back road, some don't - perhaps mostly those in them 4X4s you mention. However, despite my manly shoulders and bulging thighs, I am able to steer myself & bike through a 3 inch gap (feels like) atween such a thrusting tinpot and the hedge. :-)

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
robing

Post by robing »

Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus!
Yvonned

Post by Yvonned »

Ac I chithau hefyd.
Roger_H

Post by Roger_H »

live in Wales and it is indeed a beautiful country with very many wonderful roads. Sadly though some of its roads are also rather dangerous in terms of RTA fatalities and road safety does not appear to be a priority.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Cugel wrote:

Thankfully (or maybe not) I have no knowledge of the Midlands, but when were in Cardiff, all we saw were thousands of youngsters (of all ages) peacefully enjoying themselves in the wonderful parks. Yes, it was half term in Wales, so the demographic was changed slightly but it is one of the few cities that I (and my wife) are happy and comfortable to walk (or cycle) around.

I've always been known as a woolly-back; that's what the scousers called us folk in Cheshire.
ba-aa.
richardfm

Post by richardfm »

fausto copy wrote:
Cugel wrote:

Thankfully (or maybe not) I have no knowledge of the Midlands, but when were in Cardiff, all we saw were thousands of youngsters (of all ages) peacefully enjoying themselves in the wonderful parks. Yes, it was half term in Wales, so the demographic was changed slightly but it is one of the few cities that I (and my wife) are happy and comfortable to walk (or cycle) around.

I've always been known as a woolly-back; that's what the scousers called us folk in Cheshire.
ba-aa.

Cardiff is a wonderful city. I have lived here for more than thirty years now after living in various English towns and cities for twenty something years.

And we have the best flag in Wales https://www.dailypost.co.uk/whats-on/ar ... e-15873712
Richard M
Cardiff
pwa

Post by pwa »

As far as I am aware Cardiff is one of the safer cities. It does have violent crime, but a lot less than some cities I read about. I don't feel at risk when I walk its streets.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

And as well as the coolest flag on earth I think the Welsh have the best surname:
Cadwaladr :)

Although, my Mum's maiden name of Tudor comes a close second :wink:
And as my maternal grandfather married a Jones, I'm feeling decidedly Welsh this weekend.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Half-Welsh at least, like me :wink:

On 17.3 our nearest neighbours parade in the US, should we start doing likewise?

I am half English too, is there a thread here something like 'We love England'?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Support for Welsh independence is growing and growing, 12% now, thousands marched for it in Caerdydd
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Support for Welsh independence is growing and growing, 12% now, thousands marched for it in Caerdydd

So that makes 78% not in favour.