Cymru am byth - we love Wales!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Re: Cymru am byth - we love Wales!

Post by thirdcrank »

Chwarae troi'n chwerw, wrth chwarae gyda thân

Which reminds me that all my road sign Welsh will now be soon forgotten as unnecessary.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

If they were made for recent golfs, in thousands, millions, the price would go down down down
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

RickH wrote:I've seen mention of a bolt-in electric kit for a classic VW Beetle but that cost around £20,000! If that is the going rate at the moment then the car would have to be something special to be worth it.

Exactly. Conversion is great for classic cars, experiments, prototypes and some other niches.

RickH wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Good news I think, a factory making batteries for electric vehicles shall not be built in Wales, it shall be built in England instead, plusminus

There are too many vehicles already, the existing infernal combustion vehicles could surely be fitted with electric motors

If it was affordable electrifying existing combustion engine cars would/could be attractive.

Yes. Conversion is completely irrelevant to the urgently needed mass migration to EVs.

And would make that excess expenditure unavailable for investment in anything else.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:If they were made for recent golfs, in thousands, millions, the price would go down down down

Conversion is a craft business. The price would come down with increased volume but it wouldn't get anywhere near what's achievable with new build.

Jonathan
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Open question: do jobs matter? Wales loses many, Northumberland gains many. But cars continue to be made. Good or bad?

My view is that it is very complex and nuanced. Easy answers tend not to work. It would be better if the government showed more signs of providing a coherent green strategy to match their targets.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Open answer: too much work is done and too many resources are used, for example to scrap ten-year old vehicles that could easily be used for another ten years, the same for fridges, etc &c
The four-day week would be good

Amos Oz, Israeli author, described Europe:
'people working too hard to earn money to buy goods they do not need, to impress people they do not like'
He also coined a useful phrase for nationalists: 'I love my country, but I do not like it much'
Cymru am byth!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Oldjohnw wrote:Open question: do jobs matter?

Oldjohnw wrote:It would be better if the government showed more signs of providing a coherent green strategy to match their targets.

Yes. I'm cautious about "strategy" but much clearer and joined-up plans would be a big improvement. And those would include plans for each sector, including manufacturing, and for employment... including employment in Wales.

Jonathan
Last edited by Jdsk on 11 Dec 2020, 2:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Open answer: too much work is done and too many resources are used, for example to scrap ten-year old vehicles that could easily be used for another ten years, the same for fridges, etc &c

That depends on what you mean by "easily". Conversion of 10y old ic cars to electric drive at scale would be very difficult and very expensive.

Jonathan
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Good news I think, a factory making batteries for electric vehicles shall not be built in Wales, it shall be built in England instead, plusminus

There are too many vehicles already, the existing infernal combustion vehicles could surely be fitted with electric motors

Good at least is that an area equivalent to XY rugby fields in Wales shall not be concreted over

Former RAF St Athan, a site long since set aside for development. At least that particular development would have been linked to environmental benefits, as well as providing 3000 jobs.

I don't resent Northumberland getting jobs though. Good luck to them. It would just be nice to have a few thousand here as well. St Athan just wasn't going to be ready quick enough for that project.
Last edited by pwa on 12 Dec 2020, 10:34am, edited 1 time in total.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The North East's gain. Perhaps to make up for the possible loss of Nissan? Who knows?
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Nissan at Sunderland employ about 7,000. Plus a few hundred indirectly employed on site. Plus 27,000 in the supply chain, mostly in the NE.

We might know all too soon!

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jdsk wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 10:48am Nissan at Sunderland employ about 7,000. Plus a few hundred indirectly employed on site. Plus 27,000 in the supply chain, mostly in the NE.

We might know all too soon!
NB date.

Britishvolt now in administration:
https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... on-tuesday

Jonathan