Cymru am byth - we love Wales!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
pwa

Re: Cymru am byth - we love Wales!

Post by pwa »

Nice to know the telephone box is still there. :lol:
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Along with the rain! :( :( :(
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
rotavator wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Right again phil

I prefer Blaenau Ffestiniog to Barmouth mind, one could have fun explaining to people that it actually a great place to live

So what is good about living in Blaenau apart from the cheap house prices and the independent shops?

'Low' property prices, town is big enough to have everyday local services, two railways, fantastic walks from the doorstep, bilingual culture, history, unjustified bad reputation :wink:

Indeed! Unfairly slated. :wink:
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

There's no Wetherspoons there! Is there an Aldi?
Cyril Haearn

Re: Blaenau am byth - we love Ffestiniog!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Its all at the co-op now in Blaenau :wink:
I predict it shall become even more popular because it is quite high, so should not get so hot as the climate warms
Besides, there are 700 000 000 tons of slate waste to play with
Thinking of retiring there in my next life

Rydwy'n hoffi Blaenau!
We love Blaenau!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
lbomaak2

Post by lbomaak2 »

It's not just Blaenau Ffestiniog that is a really pleasant place despite its dreadful reputation; I really like Bethesda, that other great slate-mining town.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

And the Valleys, a perfect mix of urban sophistication and raw nature
Quite a diverse area, lots of people of Italian extraction for example, not to mention everyday bilingualism
I shall retire there in my third life
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Brains dark beer.........lovely drink!
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I remember reading a novel by a South Walian in which the characters say, not "I met this bloke or woman", but "I met this voter". All characters are referred to as voters. I cannot remember the title or author. Can anyone help?
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Doubtless there is an institute of some sort for anglo-welsh literature down there
Someone very familiar with the literature could help without looking it up, maybe
Political memoirs?
Which famous novel set in Wales has a scene where a huge rock has to be moved? The Canadianperson in charge was in despair
The old Welsh shepherd scratched his head a moment, moved to one side of the stone, shoved it with his shoulder. Job done
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Good news I think, a factory making batteries for electric vehicles shall not be built in Wales, it shall be built in England instead, plusminus

There are too many vehicles already, the existing infernal combustion vehicles could surely be fitted with electric motors

Good at least is that an area equivalent to XY rugby fields in Wales shall not be concreted over
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Good news I think, a factory making batteries for electric vehicles shall not be built in Wales, it shall be built in England instead, plusminus

There are too many vehicles already, the existing infernal combustion vehicles could surely be fitted with electric motors

Good at least is that an area equivalent to XY rugby fields in Wales shall not be concreted over

It's being built in Northumberland instead. My MP can't stop boasting about it. Not long ago Johnson was boasting about the Wales factory.

If you fit a car with an electric motor, replacing the ICE, you still need a battery.
John
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

INEOS would have employed 500 people at Bridgend. Britishvolt 3,500 at St Athan.

"Chwarae troi'n chwerw, wrth chwarae gyda thân."

Jonathan
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Oldjohnw wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:Good news I think, a factory making batteries for electric vehicles shall not be built in Wales, it shall be built in England instead, plusminus

It's being built in Northumberland instead. My MP can't stop boasting about it. Not long ago Johnson was boasting about the Wales factory.

If you fit a car with an electric motor, replacing the ICE, you still need a battery.

With a bit of luck, it shall not be built there either
Often decisions NOT to build something that was planned are kept quiet, not sure why :wink:
RickH

Post by RickH »

If it was affordable electrifying existing combustion engine cars would/could be attractive.

I've seen mention of a bolt-in electric kit for a classic VW Beetle but that cost around £20,000! If that is the going rate at the moment then the car would have to be something special to be worth it.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.