Dangerous Warburtons HGV Driver

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
arnsider

Re: Dangerous Warburtons HGV Driver

Post by arnsider »

Our roads are ever becoming the arteries of commerce.
The upsurge of mail order is huge and all this trade is speed and haste dependent.
I think there is a constant trade-off between road safety and speed and I do not think the drivers are given enough regard.
Union representation has become a dirty word in the eyes of the public, who in turn moan at the late delivery of their goodies.
Obviously there are pressures to deliver perishable goods alike.
We see the upshot of this as car drivers who trying to keep at a steady 60 mph on motorways, are constantly badgered by trucks wanting to pass us, then hogging lane 2 for mile upon mile just to maintain their schedules.
The Construction industry poses huge dangers in the shape of aggregate and ready mixed concrete deliveries and there has been a spate of deaths contributable to driver carelessness and downright faulty vehicles.
I am not condoning any bad driving here, just alluding to the often unbearable pressures that run against road safety.
meic

Post by meic »

I adopt the position of the OP when I'm in a place where overtaking would be a bad idea. But the OP, at least in the clip we had, seems to be well out into the road almost all the time. More like the centre of the lane rather than a metre from the edge

I do both, depending on the road, traffic levels and relative speeds, especially the latter.
Riding further out says "I am here, you have to do something about it, you can not just carry on and squeeze through as if I am not there". When the traffic speeds are very different, I am more inclined to tuck into the left and let everybody pass until we get to a dangerous point where I take the road again, if I can.
Yma o Hyd
jatindersangha

Post by jatindersangha »

Hi pwa,

The road in question varies in width and has bends etc in it. I kind of follow the line that motorists would take.

At that time of day, there's hardly any traffic there so I'm happy to ride where I like, if another vehicle comes up behind me, then I'll gladly move over if appropriate.

In the video, just before the point of the incident there's a zebra crossing. That should give a good example of how far away from the kerb I am.

--Jatinder
pwa

Post by pwa »

Watching the footage, one thing that struck me, with some amusement, was the vocal performance of the OP. Been there, done that. Quite understandable in the heat of the moment. But probably unnecessary. That driver is a professional and probably likes to think of him;herself as a supremely competent driver. But at that moment, in full view of at least two people, he/she goofed in a really obvious way. Imagine how toe curlingly embarrassing that must have been. For the driver that was already one of those really bad experiences that stain your memories for years to come. A scornful look in his/her direction would have been enough. But, heat of the moment rules sometimes. I've mouthed off quite a few times so I can't be too critical.
jatindersangha

Post by jatindersangha »

Yes, I was a bit vocal.

Did you recognise the accent?

--Jatinder
meic

Post by meic »

Welsh? :lol:
Yma o Hyd
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

There can't be many riders who haven't experienced fear changing to anger after a near miss, although that's not quite the same as being permanently uptight.

Let's not forget a rider who (was reported to have) lost his rag, and with it a lot more

The judge said the MP was not in a state of mind that evening either to measure his words carefully or remember precisely what they were. He was satisfied that Mitchell did lose his temper and it was part of common experience of life that a loss of temper could lead both to loss of inhibition in speaking and recollection of what was said. “It follows that his adamant denial of uttering the words alleged is not of itself determinative of the issues.” (My emphasis.)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... libel-case
jatindersangha

Post by jatindersangha »

meic wrote:Welsh? :lol:

OK. I supposed I asked for that ;-)

--Jatinder
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

I think that as cyclists, drivers or pedestrians, we have to be careful of our state of mind.
There is no reason at all for roads to be places of conflict and if you go about seeking conflict, you will find it in spades.
I would not say that I am intimidated by HGV's but fear is some way to describing my reaction to them and if that brings out a self protecting instinct, then all to the good.
Maybe we should re visit our whole codes of conduct to lessen the conflict we seem to be inviting increasingly.
jatindersangha

Post by jatindersangha »

I did report the incident to the police. This morning I received a letter stating that they will be investigating.

--Jatinder
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Did you contact Warburtons?
jatindersangha

Post by jatindersangha »

Yes, sent a letter with the video etc to Warburtons chairman as well.

--Jatinder
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think I would have waited to see what the response was from Warburtons before I did that.
jatindersangha

Post by jatindersangha »

Not sure about that.

Regardless what Warburtons do with the driver, if the police think prosecution is a valid action then only they can do it.

I'd be surprised if the police did any more than identity the driver and send him a polite warning letter.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

jatindersangha wrote:Not sure about that.

Regardless what Warburtons do with the driver, if the police think prosecution is a valid action then only they can do it.

I'd be surprised if the police did any more than identity the driver and send him a polite warning letter.

Which at the very least would make him/her aware that their driving was well below the standard expected of them,IMHO a rocket from their boss would have positive effect.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden