Mobile Phones at the Wheel

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
thirdcrank

Re: Mobile Phones at the Wheel

Post by thirdcrank »

TrevA wrote:... If I were to photograph these miscreants caught in the act, would the police accept my photo as evidence of lawbreaking?

If unlawful mobile phone use were a priority, then more police would be "tasked" with enforcement. The most effective way to do that, both in terms of getting the evidence and cost-efficiency is for police to stop the alleged offender at the time: this normally establishes the driver's identity immediately, confirms that the object in question is a mobile phone and gives the driver the least time to concoct some story. An obvious problem is that the driver may decide to scarper, especially if they have more serious things on their mind such as a suspended sentence for being a disqualified driver. That might lead to a chase which is a "bad thing" especially for something so trivial as "motoring offences." Broadly, that approach allows a ticket to be issued and the requirement for more paperwork only normally arises if the ticket is not paid or more offences are revealed. One problem here is that just emphasising that phone use is the biggy means that other things might be missed.

Compare that with pics from members of the public. They could only serve to trigger enquiries, starting with notices to the keeper requiring details of the driver which would have to be followed up by a personal interview and so on. Theoretically possible but a non-starter. I suppose a lot of members of the public taking pics might act as a deterrent but it might just as easily provoke some violence. Who knows?
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

anniesboy wrote:You really could not make it up.

http://www.heraldseries.co.uk/news/1512 ... f=mrb&lp=4

It really does beggar belief but also highlights how attached some people have become to the latest technology. Not being a driver I use public transport when not walking or cycling - almost every passenger will be engrossed with their phone in some form - either broadcasting their conversation loudly to everyone else or engrossed with FB or similar. All we are seeing with drivers on phones is an extension of this addiction.

Unless they are being hit very hard in the pocket, a close relative is injured/killed or they are denied access in some way there will always be a percentage who will use phones at the wheel, speed, drink drive. they know detection is unlikely, that they can probably blag their way out of punitive action if they are caught - heck they probably get a rush out of doing it.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

foxyrider wrote:

It really does beggar belief but also highlights how attached some people have become to the latest technology......

But then people who are so attached, who are using expensive smartphones, etc. can afford hands free equipment. If they are using their phones a lot you'd expect them to have got hands free gear. I have (in my car radio) and I probably get one maybe two calls a year on my mobile whilst I'm in my car. But a reporter who presumably uses their phone a lot, why don't they have hands free gear? Tools of the trade, etc. If they were working then their employer should have something to say about their law breaking.

Ian
meic

Post by meic »

I think that there are some who feel really uncomfortable without their phone in their hands.

Today I saw two with their phones in their hand on the steering wheel and one pulled in to the bus stop (engine and lights on) to talk but none talking and driving. Too small a sample to be statistically significant on its own but I normally see a couple talking and quite rare to see one pull in to the bus stop to talk.
Yma o Hyd
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I have had my present vehicle for four years. It has:-

An FM radio where you have to scroll through stations and use the touch screen to select one.

An Ipod also controlled by the touch screen in the same way (I have it set to random play)

The satnav, once again a touch screen.

It will play DVDs on the screen and CDs of course

It has bluetooth so you can play music from your phone. That lorry driver killed 4 people on the A34 selecting a music track on his phone.

You can play videos from your phone or plug in a TV tuner!

I have a hands free kit for the phone.

I recently saw some stupid SEAT car adverts which celebrated the centre console which had an Android screen on it.

Personally I would prefer a push button FM Radio - so simple!

I think these things are really dangerous. I think they should be banned. I have been distracted myself but now always wait and stop to select something if I need to. The hands free doesnt appear to distract me but you do have to press a screen icon to answer a call. The Police can identify phone caused accidents by looking at phone records. How many accidents are caused by complex rubbish in car technology?

These things should be outlawed only the race is now on to keep the Muppets happy by putting Facebook and the other crap into every car.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

A sensible article about touch screens - at least I think so. http://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/enthusias ... li=BBoPJKX
I reckon any touch screen has to be right up there under "distractions". I've never owned a car with a touch screen or a sat nav. About 10 years ago I had a rental which had a sat nav which the previous user had programmed. Consequently it kept saying "make a U turn". I stopped to turn it off. The command to switch it off was hidden so deeply in sub menus that it took a good 5 minutes to find it. All I wanted a was a big red button - or a brick!
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Psamathe wrote:
foxyrider wrote:

It really does beggar belief but also highlights how attached some people have become to the latest technology......

But then people who are so attached, who are using expensive smartphones, etc. can afford hands free equipment. If they are using their phones a lot you'd expect them to have got hands free gear. I have (in my car radio) and I probably get one maybe two calls a year on my mobile whilst I'm in my car. But a reporter who presumably uses their phone a lot, why don't they have hands free gear? Tools of the trade, etc. If they were working then their employer should have something to say about their law breaking.

Ian

No it does not beggar belief at all, it happens all the time
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
nez

Post by nez »

I rented a brand new Saab in France when satnavs were first installed in cars. The satnav was in Swedish and neither I nor the rental guy could change it. I just drove for three days using a map with the satnav showing and saying what the hell it wanted.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
661-Pete wrote:I wouldn't call someone out for doing this. Should one?

Yes yes yes, a no-brainer :P

It is the law. Get them punished b e f o r e they move off, not after

One hopes they will also be punished for running the engine unnecessarily

Well, we'll just have to disagree on this. I don't see the law as being there to punish people, I see it as there to deter people from doing wrong in the first place.

Using a mobile phone whilst driving a moving vehicle, may kill. Using one while the vehicle is stationary, with the engine idling, is hardly going to do that. Let's be pragmatic about this. Do we want our already-overstretched police (and I watched the news report last night on TV) further burdened by having to pick up these miscreants? My take is, focus their attention on where it really matters.

Or, bearing in mind the pollution factor (which I fully agree with) - make it illegal to have a car stationary for more than a certain length of time, with the engine running, under any circumstances - whether a phone is involved or no. I know that many makes of car already switch off the engine automatically, if the car is stationary for more than a defined period. But mine doesn't. I imagine most older, and cheaper, cars, don't.

Maybe some day such a law will be enacted. I suppose there would have to be exemptions - like when the driver is scraping snow or ice off the windows. Better to have a vehicle in a safe condition to drive, rather than a motorised igloo....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

On our local Meridian TV news yesterday there was an item with the Police nabbing motorists on the phone. One woman got nabbed, she was a journalist driving to the scene to report on the Police activity. They were stopping cars with a copper in plain clothes spotting them back up the road and radioing ahead. She was in the queue caused by the Police stoppages on her phone! :lol: Another, a lorry driver, lost his licence on the spot.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
nez

Post by nez »

But all coppers know the real deterrent is the possibility of being caught. The punishment is secondary, it's the detection that stops crime - which is why the world and his brother drives around using car phones. How often do you see traffic cops?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote:....Another, a lorry driver, lost his licence on the spot.

That raises an interesting idea. Subject to specific evidence e.g. a photo taken by a Police Officer (or PCSO) clearly showing the driver on the phone in their car on the Highway such that the driver can be stopped, present their license or ID and thus be classed as guilty and receive an immediate ban (i.e. "park you car over there and call a taxi"). Or an immediate 6 points and an online check by the Police and if the offence takes the driver above 12 points it an instant ban with "park you car over there and call a taxi ...".

Maybe give the driver the option to go to court but if they do, if found guilty the punishment would be at least doubles (e.g. 12 month ban -> 24 months and £1000 fine -> £2000).

That could be quite effective discouragement and I guess would only take small changes to allow an immediate on-the-spot points and ban.

A thought. I'm sure there are reasons why not but an interesting thought.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

nez dans le guidon wrote:How often do you see traffic cops?
We don't ............ ever.

We joke round here that we have the Devon and Cornwall police.
One of each.
Mick F. Cornwall
hondated

Post by hondated »

Started a debate on a motorcycle Forum recently saying I feel its stupid for riders to be listening to music as they ride because it's a distraction imo. But perhaps more relevant to this thread is that bikes are now being produced that facilitate using a mobile as they are riding.
Imo as I am negotiating a bend the last thing I would want would be to receive a call.
Sorry give NN the deaths this issue has caused to date I am a Luddite. The law should be either driving or riding any mechanical vehicle no mobile should be switched on. My God we lived without them for long enough.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:
nez dans le guidon wrote:How often do you see traffic cops?
We don't ............ ever.

We joke round here that we have the Devon and Cornwall police.
One of each.

Sounds like one of them has resigned - very publicly and being rather critical of the force (presumably now the workload of the otehr increases somewhat!).

Ian