Horse riders hit by chelsea tractor on wrong side of road

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Vorpal

Re: Horse riders hit by chelsea tractor on wrong side of road

Post by Vorpal »

Mistik-ka wrote:I take issue with Vorpal on the relative merits of all-season vs. snow ("winter") tyres. We run on all-seasons until the first hint of snow in the autumn and then switch to snow tyres until it's time to start planting the garden in the spring. Studs are good on glare ice but there's always the alternative of high quality snow tyres and cautious driving. In the mountains … get studded tyres. Snow tyres do wear quickly in hot weather. Studs wear quickly under all conditions and they're noisy brutes on a long journey.

I want to be clear that I wasn't suggesting that all season tyres are as good as snow tyres. My experience is that good quality (on the higher end of cost) all season tyres are better than mid-range snow tyres. For that, I don't know if I can be bothered with keeping two sets of tyres and all that. Or maybe, if I need them, I'll get studded tyres put on my other rims.

We get plenty of snow (more than Wisconsin) here in Norway, but they're pretty efficient at clearing it. I only drive on snow a handful of times each year.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
meic

Post by meic »

Cheap winter tyres work in the winter (and summer if you are lazy), cheap ordinary tyres work without snow/ice.
Car happy and wallet happy. :D
Yma o Hyd
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

meic wrote:Cheap winter tyres work in the winter (and summer if you are lazy), cheap ordinary tyres work without snow/ice.
Car happy and wallet happy. :D

I don't like cheap tyres. On my car, or my bike. :shock:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom