Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
pwa

Re: Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Post by pwa »

Ray wrote:And it's not just the lumpy bits. I'm sitting in the sun outside a cafe in Pocklington - lovely!

There is a good air museum not far from there. Former RAF base.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

pwa wrote:
Spinners wrote:Yorkshire is looking stunning at the moment. We're on holiday this week staying in the Dales and doing the touristy thing (unfortunately in the car :roll: as Mrs. Spinners doesn't cycle) and I've managed to get out for a couple of short rides. The TdF and TdY legacy is still evident with plenty of yellow bicycles about the place.

Wish I was there too. Does she drink? Leave her in the Tan Hill Inn for a couple of hours while you do a circular down Swaledale and back up Arkengarthdale. She'll be hammered by the time you get back to her but you'll get a great ride in.

Lol. Mrs. Spinners liked that too.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I once visited the Tan Hill Inn with my wife and there was a walker in there - presumably doing the Pennine Way - whose BO was so strong it burnt your throat. Truly, one of the most disgusting smells I have ever experienced. :shock:
softlips

Post by softlips »

Ray wrote:Perhaps some of you Yorkshire-lovers could help me spread the love?

I'm helping to organise a tour around Yorkshire for a group of about 50 continental club riders** next September, and would like some advice on routes, and maybe eating places.

See my thread currently on the 'Touring & Expedition board - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=114328

** UK participants welcome to join us for all or part of the ride. Lots more information at http://tinyurl.com/zxst8s8

Requested permission for access.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Spinners wrote:Yorkshire is looking stunning at the moment. We're on holiday this week staying in the Dales and doing the touristy thing (unfortunately in the car :roll: as Mrs. Spinners doesn't cycle) and I've managed to get out for a couple of short rides. The TdF and TdY legacy is still evident with plenty of yellow bicycles about the place.

Not just in the Dales.Its the same here in South Yorks and just over the border in West Yorks(Kirklees).The original yellow bikes from the 2014 TDF Grand depart are still dotted about alongside the Blue and Yellow bikes and Bunting of the TDY 8) Many villages still
have the banners up and the TDF brown signs are still up.The Cote de...signs keep getting nicked and replaced though especially the Cote de Ewden Height and Cote de Oughtibridge
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

lern thisen Yorkshire

"tin tin tin" = "it isn't in the tin"
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

Owdoo

where's tha bin

it's either under my desk or tenerife.

appen like as not

aye tha knows
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Don't thee thou me
Thee thous them as thous thee!

Looking forward to Yorkshire Day, 1. August, how to celebrate?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I am from Ulster.
I moved with my Yorkshire Lass from Falmouth to Rotherham ....
Bad choice, but her parents where in need of support.
We live 1 mile from junction 1 of the M18.
It's 7 hours to Inverness, 6 hours to Redruth.
I love South Yorkshire .... :)
Centre of the Universe....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

landsurfer wrote:I am from Ulster.

Rotherham is a bit grim, but there are some decent places round South Yorkshire. Are you on the Maltby side of the M18? I grew up in Bolton-on-Dearne about 8 miles from Maltby and the area has improved massively over the last few years, still work in progress though.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

tykeboy2003 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:I am from Ulster.

Rotherham is a bit grim, but there are some decent places round South Yorkshire. Are you on the Maltby side of the M18? I grew up in Bolton-on-Dearne about 8 miles from Maltby and the area has improved massively over the last few years, still work in progress though.

I grew up on the Bramley side of the M18.I moved to Sheffield in 1990 and rarely go back there.I rode that way with a mate from work a few weeks ago and couldn't believe how many new housing estates there are.All the fields we played in as Kids are now a massive estate called Woodlaithes village.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

ibbo68 wrote:I rode that way with a mate from work a few weeks ago and couldn't believe how many new housing estates there are. All the fields we played in as Kids are now a massive estate called Woodlaithes village.

If you played on the fields where Woodlaithes are you played on the same fields as our Jules....
We live in Wickersley, if i ride in any of 3 points of the compass i am in the country lanes in 5 minutes, if i ride in the other direction I am in "Eastwoodistan" twinned with Islamabad ..... just as quick......
Be more Mike.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

landsurfer wrote:
ibbo68 wrote:I rode that way with a mate from work a few weeks ago and couldn't believe how many new housing estates there are. All the fields we played in as Kids are now a massive estate called Woodlaithes village.

If you played on the fields where Woodlaithes are you played on the same fields as our Jules....
We live in Wickersley, if i ride in any of 3 points of the compass i am in the country lanes in 5 minutes, if i ride in the other direction I am in "Eastwoodistan" twinned with Islamabad ..... just as quick......

It was all fields between Sunnyside old village and Silverwood/Ravenfield.I can remember them building the Flanderwell/Barratt estates too in the late 70s.That was all Cornfields from Flanderwell Lane to Northfield Lane/Listerdale Woods!
Everything behind the Concrete "new" village was fields too.They built some council houses/flats on that in the early 70s.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

ibbo68 wrote:
landsurfer wrote:

It was all fields between Sunnyside old village and Silverwood/Ravenfield.I can remember them building the Flanderwell/Barratt estates too in the late 70s.That was all Cornfields from Flanderwell Lane to Northfield Lane/Listerdale Woods!
Everything behind the Concrete "new" village was fields too.They built some council houses/flats on that in the early 70s.

Julie members it all the same as you .... her dad, Cliff was a deputy at Silverwood Pit, started as a Pony Boy at 13 years old. Julie clearly remembers the build of the Barrett / Flanderwell estates and playing on the "Top field" ..... She was a Hanton .... lived in one of the then Deputies houses on Flanderwell lane ..Her family where all from the Old Village .. East Crescent.. ring any bells ..
Be more Mike.
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

I have cousins who are Hantons but not related!
Her dad probably worked with my dad and uncles/cousins.
My dad is 81 and took early retirement in 86 after the strike.We lived on East cres briefly in 73/74 but moved onto Laburnum avenue on the concrete estate where my parents still live.