Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
tykeboy2003

Re: Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Mick F wrote::lol: :lol:

Being born in Wales, then moving to the Wigan area as a 3yr old, back to the family environment, I'm a Wiganer (not born) but bred.

Dad and mum were Lancastrians, and all the ancestors before them. Mum's family came from the Coppull/Standish area, and Dad's family from Wigan/Ince/Standish. I was at primary school in Wigan, and secondary school in Shevington.

My life's blood is Lancastrian, but I live and breathe Cornish now. Been here 35years, far longer than I was ever in Lancashire ............ or even Wales. :lol:

Bit like me then, I was born and brought up in South Yorkshire, studied in Newcastle then worked in Cambridge for 4 years before a career change brought me to South Derbyshire in 1983.

I'm still a Yorkshireman though.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

No need for a peace wall between Lancashire and Yorkshire :wink:

But were there not some boundary changes that moved places from L to Y or Y to L?

Is there a sudden change in speech/dialect at the boundary?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

DomusCTC wrote:... Interesting fact, England Football and Cricket teams wear three Lions (or Leopards) England Rugby wear a Red Rose ...

Really? When this Yorkshireman watches England play rugby the team has the Cross of St George on their jerseys ;-)
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:No need for a peace wall between Lancashire and Yorkshire :wink:

But were there not some boundary changes that moved places from L to Y or Y to L?

Is there a sudden change in speech/dialect at the boundary?

There is not one Yorkshire accent, or one Lancashire accent for that matter. But looking at Yorkshire, the Todmorden accent is very different to the more nasal accent of Hull. And if you go west from Todmorden into the more civilised west (Lancashire) you do not get a sudden change. Accents don't respect boundaries.

I'm from Bolton, Lancashire, and traditionally we are supposed to diss Yorkshire. In truth, like many from Lancashire, I love Yorkshire and I visit frequently.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

pwa wrote:Accents don't respect boundaries.

But there are dialect boundaries or Isogloss (google it).

When I was at school there was a lad in my year called Ian McMillan, he is now the Barnsley Poet and has appeared on TV in shows like "Have I Got News For You" etc. Some years ago he did a radio show about "The ****(the impolite word for your bottom)/House Interface". In Barnsley your house is indeed your house, however in Sheffield it's your **** (the impolite word for your bottom). The program set out to find the isogloss between the two dialect versions of the word. I found it very amusing.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Plymouthians tend to pronounce "three" as "free".
It seems that there's two sorts of people round here, the Threes and the Frees.
Mick F. Cornwall
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

My son is at Lancaster University (post-grad) and I suspect he'll settle there (he's massively into rock climbing). I've been there quite a few times and cycled up into the Forest of Bowland and along the estuary (old railway line). I have to say that even as a Yorkshireman I like the place in most respects apart from the horrendous traffic.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

tykeboy2003 wrote:... When I was at school there was a lad in my year called Ian McMillan, he is now the Barnsley Poet ....

May the Good Lord deliver us from professional Yorkshiremen. :roll: The current honorary life president seems to be Harold Bird OBE.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I do love James Herriots books, they make one laugh and cry at the same time

There is even a sub-Riding of Yorkshire named after him
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

considering starting my own thread "nobody likes it in greater manchester, but here are some redeeming features"

i'd probably buy into lancashire pride had i not been annexed.

so yey for yorkshire, i'm looking at the trans pennine trail for summer and i must say it looks a lot more interesting when you get over the top.

interesting if you like fields, which i do.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Spinners wrote:The only loaded touring I've actually ever done was a three-day tour from Port Talbot to Middlesbrough and Day Three started from Goosnargh (near Preston) over to Skipton and then up into the Yorkshire Dales. Wonderful scenery and quite a test for a standard road double chainset!

Wasn't a fair bit of that day three through the glories of Lancashire? possibly the Ribble Valley?
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

pwa wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:. In truth, like many from Lancashire, I love Yorkshire and I visit frequently.

Very true.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Sweep wrote:
pwa wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:. In truth, like many from Lancashire, I love Yorkshire and I visit frequently.

Very true

Though if those Yorkshire folks could get a waiting room sorted at Hellifield station I'd be happier. Soaked from a cold wet ride today I was reduced to jumping up and down while i waited for the train to stall hypothermia.

Sweep
Kojak

Post by Kojak »

Wit' icicles dripping off t' nose :oops:
Seriously though as a Southerner I have been to yorkshire just the once, a couple of years ago and thought it were reet grand.
I was in the Skipton area mainly.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Sweep wrote:
Spinners wrote:The only loaded touring I've actually ever done was a three-day tour from Port Talbot to Middlesbrough and Day Three started from Goosnargh (near Preston) over to Skipton and then up into the Yorkshire Dales. Wonderful scenery and quite a test for a standard road double chainset!

Wasn't a fair bit of that day three through the glories of Lancashire? possibly the Ribble Valley?

I can only remember getting lost from the word go and stumbling into a local club run who were next to useless with directions and then bombing over to Skipton on the main road. Things soon slowed down in the Dales...
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)