Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
al_yrpal

Re: Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Post by al_yrpal »

West Yorkshire = apparently one of the most crime ridden spots in Britain.. but still regarded as Gods Own Country by its inhabitants (and ex inhabitants who are many and keep droning on about it - yawwwn… ).

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
peetee

Post by peetee »

I am not sure a whole county can be described as a 'spot'. Sounds a bit like a U.S.Anian saying they 'went on holiday to Europe'.
Like any country, county or town it has good and bad areas. Southampton is a right old dump, on the whole, but looking out of the front or back of my house there are trees, trees and more trees. Sounds like a nice spot to me.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Even the West Riding :wink: alone is as big as a small country and very diverse
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

I am familiar with quite a lot of West Yorkshire and it is a big area that includes larger towns and cities such as Bradford, Leeds and Huddersfield, all of which have areas of deprivation. So of course they have areas of relatively high crime. But that is only part of the story. Even in those towns and cities there are good people and lots of interesting things to see. And outside them there are umpteen former industrial towns and villages oozing character. Think Last of the Summer Wine. It is very much an area worth visiting if you haven't been.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

pwa wrote:I am familiar with quite a lot of West Yorkshire and it is a big area that includes larger towns and cities such as Bradford, Leeds and Huddersfield, all of which have areas of deprivation. So of course they have areas of relatively high crime. But that is only part of the story. Even in those towns and cities there are good people and lots of interesting things to see. And outside them there are umpteen former industrial towns and villages oozing character. Think Last of the Summer Wine. It is very much an area worth visiting if you haven't been.

Some fine buildings in Bradford.

Have always liked Leeds.
I well remember sharing a London office with a Sloane - told me she was going to Leeds for the weekend for a friend's birthday party or something. She said it like it was a penance/something horrrible - remember telling her that it was a good city but could tell that she was extremely doubtful to say the least. On her return I asked what she had thought of it - silence - had the impression that she just couldn't admit that it had been rather good, not the grimy common land of flat caps she had imagined. Have long thought that the word parochial best describes a fair few southern types - some barely know their own country - their own fault.
Edit. Near Bradford, saltaire. World Heritage site no less. Had a rather wonderful pint of something that originated from there recently.
Last edited by Sweep on 1 Jan 2019, 7:34pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

pwa wrote: And outside them there are umpteen former industrial towns and villages oozing character. Think Last of the Summer Wine. It is very much an area worth visiting if you haven't been.

...and riding :wink:
There's some fantastic riding around Holmfirth/Marsden/Meltham and all the bits between there and Huddersfield/Sheffield.The Dales and Moors are obvious choices but the South Pennines is just as good IMO.
Having said that the lad had a CX Race in Todmorden last Sunday.Having driven through Huddersfield we then went through Elland,Sowerby Bridge,Mytholmroyd and Hebden Bridge...all nice enough and surrounded by Green but all quite run down in places :roll:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Hebden Bridge run down? I have not been there but have read that it is a very unusual place :?
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Hebden Bridge run down? I have not been there but have read that it is a very unusual place :?

Parts of it.Just the odd derelict building,same as the other towns really.As they're on the main roads they're more prominent.We had a night out in Hebden in the 80s and it's a great place.We went there to pick up our Clogged Dr Martens and made a night of it :wink: Very famous for it's clogged boots thanks to a local(ish)band(New Model Army) :)
One plus point(from a cyclists POV)of all the towns I mentioned is they all have a 20mph speed limit in the centres 8)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Hebden Bridge's importance was in the early days of the Industrial Revolution when water power provided the driving force and the greatest water power was in hilly places. In cycling terms, it's synonymous with corduroy shorts. The town's decline was reversed by squatters.

https://www.yorkshirelife.co.uk/out-abo ... -1-5104396
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

And now? I thought HB was a trendy place with lots of offcomers
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cyril Haearn wrote:And now? I thought HB was a trendy place with lots of offcomers

I was parked in traffic and there was a cyclist beside me getting a right earful from a “lady”( who incidentally had caused the traffic due to poor parking on double yellows)for pointing out she was not only parked illegally but also dangerously.... judging from her accent she was either a tourist or an incomer.From her choice of words I’d say it was the latter.From the language aimed at the cyclist I’d also say she wasn’t a lady :shock:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Loved Hebden Bridge, lots of whacky folk there. Stayed up Cragg Road (nice little hill) just past the Robin Hood a very whacky pub with great staff and very cycle friendly. Very peaceful thereabouts, I guess the crims hang out in the cities? Almost as nice as parts of Essex :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
julianm

Post by julianm »

If you'd like a look at some old footage of the district try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WohhLX_YLlE
'We of the West Riding'.
Some excellent cycling sections in there as well.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Just had a fantastic weeks holiday in God's own county - staying near Leyburn and Bedale. Plenty of sun all week (albeit with a bit of an edge to the wind earlier in the week) and building up to being scorchio yesterday and today. As a bonus, 'er indoors was OK with me getting out on my bike for a few shortish local rides. Lovely!
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

BoJo loves Yorkshire but the sentiment is not mutual, he was asked to leave Morley by a local, he soon complied :?
What might Beryl Burton think?!