Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
landsurfer

Re: Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Post by landsurfer »

ibbo68 wrote:I have cousins who are Hantons but not related!
Her dad probably worked with my dad and uncles/cousins.
My dad is 81 and took early retirement in 86 after the strike.We lived on East cres briefly in 73/74 but moved onto Laburnum avenue on the concrete estate where my parents still live.

If you fancy sending a surname via PM I'll run it by Julie, her big brothers are Derek and Ian.
Cliff took retirement after the Strike ..... but kept getting called back for the odd shift for years.
Julies great great grandad was one of those that sunk the shaft at Silverwood.
Her great uncle is still down there.
Cliff would have been in his early nineties by now but the dust got him some years ago ....
She remembers being taken to the pit on pension day on her granddads shoulders, he to get his pension, her for sweets at the little shop across from the baths ... Her grandad retired the day she was born ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Went on a school trip from The South to Yorkshire many years ago, our teacher insisted on showing us Barnsley, his home town. I remember Quarry Hill Flats in Leeds too, +1

How do people in Yorkshire celebrate, why is it not a public holiday?

+99 for Beryl Burton, she won the men's 12 hour championship
+1 for Ron Kitching
Any other great people from Yorkshire?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

PM sent
Last edited by 100%JR on 1 Aug 2017, 12:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Went on a school trip from The South to Yorkshire many years ago, our teacher insisted on showing us Barnsley, his home town. I remember Quarry Hill Flats in Leeds too, +1

How do people in Yorkshire celebrate, why is it not a public holiday?

+99 for Beryl Burton, she won the men's 12 hour championship
+1 for Ron Kitching
Any other great people from Yorkshire?

No thats it ....
Dead modest in South Yorkshire ........ :D
Cricketers, Engineers, Playwrights, Cyclists, Pilots ..... Sure we have a few some where ............. :lol:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

ibbo68 wrote:I grew up on the Bramley side of the M18.I moved to Sheffield in 1990 and rarely go back there.I rode that way with a mate from work a few weeks ago and couldn't believe how many new housing estates there are.All the fields we played in as Kids are now a massive estate called Woodlaithes village.

Yes there's been a lot of house building on what used to be fields when I was a lad, but on the other side of the coin all the pit slag heaps round Wath, Bolton, Goldthorpe and Thurnscoe have gone with some being replaced by country parks etc.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Yorkshire and Scotland have a few things in common, today the grouse-shooting season began in both but a report in the Grauniad suggests the tide could be turning against this sport (sport? I do not know enough about it to form an opinion)

Fewer chelsea tractors would be good, mind
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Yorkshire and Scotland have a few things in common, today the grouse-shooting season began in both but a report in the Grauniad suggests the tide could be turning against this sport (sport? I do not know enough about it to form an opinion)

Many many years ago I was employed for a day as a beater up in Scotland. It was hard work, the visiting guns weren't exactly crackshots and the grouse haul was low.

I'm not a great fan of so called blood sports but the cessation of this one has huge impact on uplands. The NT/RSPB in recent years took over management of all our local moorland and a combination of poor management and bad practice has seen huge areas of heather moorland destroyed and covered with carcinogenic bracken. Of course that has driven the grouse away too completely altering the wildlife balance.

To maintain a grouse population requires lots of management whether you shoot them or not. Part of that management is what has given us the iconic moors of purple heather, the habitat of the grouse and many other species.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Yorkshire and Scotland have a few things in common, today the grouse-shooting season began in both but a report in the Grauniad suggests the tide could be turning against this sport (sport? I do not know enough about it to form an opinion)

That's almost definitely a Guardian opinion writer's opinion, grouse shooting tends to be the preserve of the rich (or those who are invited by rich people or companies) and the rich and rich companies will always be with us. Driven grouse shooting was debated by MPs at Westminster Hall in autumn 2016 and none of the 30 MPs involved voted to ban it - including Caroline Lucas who has argued against it but did not vote for a ban.

And of course grouse moors is exactly where Chelsea tractors should be...

foxyrider wrote:...To maintain a grouse population requires lots of management whether you shoot them or not. Part of that management is what has given us the iconic moors of purple heather, the habitat of the grouse and many other species.

This is true - but of course it is not natural - our uplands should be a mosaic of woods, glades, bogs, heaths and solitary trees - not iconic swathes of heather. Grouse shooting and upland sheep grazing is an unnatural regime but other forms of potentially successful management (conifer plantation) are as disliked by environmentalists as much as they dislike grouse shooting.

Really we could say that the Thames floodplain has been ruined by man's influence - but I don't hear anyone calling for allowing Barnes, Fulham, Battersea and the City of London to be allowed to return to a state of annual flooding, when they do I'll start getting more exercised about the artificiality of grouse moors.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Guardian reader? Guardian writer! I had a couple of pieces published in the paper, fairly proud of that

Mind, the Guardian comes from Manchester, strictly speaking :wink:

I think it would be great if the fells had lots more trees, bogs, variety, not just grass or heather
Ray

Post by Ray »

In the Malham-Mytholmroyd-Malham thread recently, thirdcrank suggested people might like to know more about our Yorkshire tour, starting next week. Here are some clips from our news release, which I'm posting on this thread, where they might be more easily found.

Coming to a Yorkshire road near you soon
The Tour de France legacy that Sir Gary Verity promised back in 2014 continues to bear fruit. For a week in September forty members of an international cycling club based in France will tour Yorkshire in the wheel tracks of the professional peloton.

Seduced by the TV coverage of the 2014 Grand Depart, AEC members just had to see Yorkshire for themselves.

The group starts from Beverley, taking in the Wolds, the North York Moors and the Dales, and spends a day in York before riding back to Beverley.

On Saturday September 9 the riders will get a send-off from the Mayor of Beverley as they set off on their adventure.

They’d love to meet local riders, who will be welcome to join them on the road for a while, and perhaps guide them through the Yorkshire lanes.

Outline route -
Sat 9 Sep Beverley - Whitby
Sun 10 Sep Whitby - Osmotherley
Mon 11 Osmotherley- Reeth-Malham
Tues 12 Malham-Mytholmroyd-Malham
Wed 13 Malham - York
Fri 15 York - Beverley
More details from auk(AT)phonecoop.coop or 01924 252 377
http://www.europn-ffct.org
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Another reason to love Yorkshire, Bradford in particular

The Guardian reports that 300 Rohingya live there, the largest community in the UK
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yorkshire Pudding.
Having some with our brisket cooking in the oven even as I type. :D

It's flour, egg and milk.

Perhaps people have been combining these ingredients and cooking them for thousands of years ............... even before Yorkshire existed.
Mick F. Cornwall
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Mick F wrote:

Nearly right, add a pinch of salt and water (too rich if you only use milk).
softlips

Post by softlips »

tykeboy2003 wrote:
Mick F wrote:

Nearly right, add a pinch of salt and water (too rich if you only use milk).

I only use milk as do the chefs at top restaurants I've asked, wife adds water when she cooks them, can't tell difference to be honest.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

softlips wrote:I only use milk as do the chefs at top restaurants I've asked, wife adds water when she cooks them, can't tell difference to be honest.

I wouldn't argue with you, just going by how my mum taught me back in the 1960s (I'm from near Barnsley).