Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
foxyrider

Re: Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Post by foxyrider »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
foxyrider wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I do not drink alcohol, may I recommend Bettys Tearoom in Harrogate?

No - it's a tourist trap to catch furreners!

There are some real, proper tea rooms in GOC where you don't pay thru't nose and surroundings and food are much better. For example the Black Swan te room in Helmsley is excellent.

Are there a lot of furreners in the Llandrindod Wells of Yorkshire? Not been there since 1974 unfortunately :wink:
What about Knaresborough?

Lots - it's a must do tourist stop, nowt wrong with that but it gets a bit homogenised and expensive.

Knaresborough has been largely bypassed by the tourist trade, there are still some nice affordable eateries there.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

svejorange wrote:I would like to hear another opinion on the topic.

I second Betty’s.
Too touristy and now very expensive.Similar to the Magpie chippy in Whitby.Better Fish and Chips available elsewhere in the town cheaper.
I haven’t been to Knaresborough for a few years but it was still a nice town the last time I was there.
Sadly word gets around and they get a reputation that sticks regardless of quality.
A similar situation to a rather Famous pub in Keswick,Lakes.All the walking mags say “you have to go here” so everyone does.I’ve been popping in for the last 30-odd years and although it’s still ok it’s not the pub it once was.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

L**cas***e is great too :D
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

ibbo68 wrote:

I second Betty’s. Too touristy and now very expensive.

Betty's isn't very expensive if you're actually eating a meal there - it ain't cheap but the food is good quality. If you go in to have a cup of tea and a vanilla slice then it's very expensive. There are cheaper pub meals (nod to Spoons) but I've eaten poorer more expensive meals in many pubs compared with Bettys.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Ben@Forest wrote:
ibbo68 wrote:

Betty's isn't very expensive if you're actually eating a meal there - it ain't cheap but the food is good quality. If you go in to have a cup of tea and a vanilla slice then it's very expensive. There are cheaper pub meals (nod to Spoons) but I've eaten poorer more expensive meals in many pubs compared with Bettys.

Who goes to a tea shoppe for a meal?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

foxyrider wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:
ibbo68 wrote:I second Betty’s. Too touristy and now very expensive.

My thoughts too!
crazydave789

Post by crazydave789 »

foxyrider wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:
foxyrider wrote:
No - it's a tourist trap to catch furreners!

There are some real, proper tea rooms in GOC where you don't pay thru't nose and surroundings and food are much better. For example the Black Swan te room in Helmsley is excellent.

Are there a lot of furreners in the Llandrindod Wells of Yorkshire? Not been there since 1974 unfortunately :wink:
What about Knaresborough?

Lots - it's a must do tourist stop, nowt wrong with that but it gets a bit homogenised and expensive.

Knaresborough has been largely bypassed by the tourist trade, there are still some nice affordable eateries there.

near the swimming pool there is a chip shop that not only does good fish and chips but they used to do battered any chocolate bar they sold behind the counter not just mars bars.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

ibbo68 wrote:
foxyrider wrote:Who goes to a tea shoppe for a meal?

My thoughts too!

A few years ago you'd have said - 'Who goes to a pub for a meal?'

I remember my Dad liking a certain pub because (other than the beer) they offered cheese sarnies NOT made with sliced Mothers Pride. He was dead chuffed he could get a cheese sarnie made from a crusty bloomer.

Our eating habits have changed somewhat...
pete75

Post by pete75 »

ibbo68 wrote:

I second Betty’s.
Too touristy and now very expensive.

Too Hyacinth Bucket for my liking but that's Harrogate all over. Fred Trueman described it as a bit of Yorkshire that's forever Surrey.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

It should be said of course that Bettys also exists in Ilkley, Northallerton and York (I think York is the most touristy one). I'm not sure I've ever seen a foreign tourist in the Northallerton branch.

If you visit gardens then the one at Harlow Carr, Harrogate, is very pleasant (but if you're going to schimpf at the prices at Bettys you're definitely going to schimpf at the price to get into an RHS garden.)
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Ben@Forest wrote:
ibbo68 wrote:
foxyrider wrote:Who goes to a tea shoppe for a meal?

My thoughts too!

A few years ago you'd have said - 'Who goes to a pub for a meal?'

I remember my Dad liking a certain pub because (other than the beer) they offered cheese sarnies NOT made with sliced Mothers Pride. He was dead chuffed he could get a cheese sarnie made from a crusty bloomer.

Our eating habits have changed somewhat...

More than a few years.Pubs have been doing food for 30-odd years at least!
When I were a lad in the 70s you could only get the old Ploughman’s lunch but “proper”meals started to become available in the late 80s!
softlips

Post by softlips »

Ben@Forest wrote:
ibbo68 wrote:

Have to agree. Betty’s is reasonable for meals and the food is usually very good.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I've been going to Betty's in York for about 40 years! As a former York resident my preference was always Taylor's (now little Betty's) in Stonegate and I especially liked the smoking room (ideally when unoccupied by smokers) at the back with a view of the minster. I could never afford to eat a full meal there and the best value option was always cinnamon toast. It was managed by a large stern looking woman in black who used to command the staff with piercing stares. Betty's main outlet in St Helen's square was ok but IMO never had the atmosphere of Taylor's. The maitre de there used to be a man with a leather wrist splint (or was it a prosthetic?). Even now there are better places for lunch -Mulberry Hall opposite used to be good.
peetee

Post by peetee »

foxyrider wrote:
Ben@Forest wrote:
ibbo68 wrote:I second Betty’s. Too touristy and now very expensive.

When it comes to cream teas I find it very hard not to make a right meal of it.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Alexander Zverev, the next Boris Becker, loves Yorkshire, a reporter spoke to him in a Yorkshire accent, he couldnae identify the speak but he liked it so much he vowed to play in GoC given the chance
(Guardian sport quotes 2018)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies