Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Sweep

Re: Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Post by Sweep »

Sounds like you maybe ended up on the a59 clitheroe to skipton. Not a good road to cycle on.
Sweep
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

thirdcrank wrote:
tykeboy2003 wrote:... When I was at school there was a lad in my year called Ian McMillan, he is now the Barnsley Poet ....

May the Good Lord deliver us from professional Yorkshiremen. :roll: The current honorary life president seems to be Harold Bird OBE.

+1
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Cyril Haearn wrote:No need for a peace wall between Lancashire and Yorkshire :wink:

But were there not some boundary changes that moved places from L to Y or Y to L?

y?

Yes, it moved in the clitheroe area at one time.

Some words i grew up with i have since learned are associated with yorkshire.
Sweep
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Sweep wrote:Sounds like you maybe ended up on the a59 clitheroe to skipton. Not a good road to cycle on.

Well I had no problems back on a Sunday morning in 2006.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

For a bit of context, and related to my hellifield experience, read this to learn why yorkshire never made the famous hovis advert:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38568893
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Spinners wrote:
Sweep wrote:Sounds like you maybe ended up on the a59 clitheroe to skipton. Not a good road to cycle on.

Just because you survived doesn't make it a safe road. Plenty of crashes on it. The bit near sawley has a particular reputation. Which is why i use the footpath cycle lane despite the bumps.
Sweep
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Sweep wrote:
Spinners wrote:

Just because you survived doesn't make it a safe road. Plenty of crashes on it. The bit near sawley has a particular reputation. Which is why i use the footpath cycle lane despite the bumps.

I can't believe how lucky I was to have survived.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

thirdcrank wrote:May the Good Lord deliver us from professional Yorkshiremen. :roll: The current honorary life president seems to be Harold Bird OBE.

A few years ago they put up a statue of Dicky in Barnsley town centre, in his famous pose of giving a batsman out. The local ladettes on drunken nights out have taken to hanging their knickers on his finger. The authorities don't quite know what to do about it. Apparently he's not best pleased.

Anyone seen the Michael Parkinson "Yorkshire Tea" advert?

https://abancommercials.com/uk/vid/3355 ... son-advert
arnsider

Post by arnsider »

Earlier, someone commented on the similarity of Wales and Yorkshire.
Well, I certainly agree and nowhere is quite as similar as the quiet valleys of the Black mountains, say over the Gospel Pass from the North, to say the climb south over Fleet Moss, down into Wharfedale.
Thank heavens I've never had to live that far from both places.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

One difference between Wales and Yorkshire is that we don't have everything translated into Welsh. We have to do that ourselves. :lol: OTOH, some of our monolingual signs are silly. On my way out for a pub lunch today, I saw this one.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.77038 ... 56!6m1!1e1

As quick as a flash I was muttering "Dim palmant." Then I noticed there was indeed a footway, even though there's a car parked on it in the streetview.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

Can't have Wales above Yorkshire can we?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

thirdcrank wrote:One difference between Wales and Yorkshire is that we don't have everything translated into Welsh. We have to do that ourselves. :lol: OTOH, some of our monolingual signs are silly. On my way out for a pub lunch today, I saw this one.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.77038 ... 56!6m1!1e1

As quick as a flash I was muttering "Dim palmant." Then I noticed there was indeed a footway, even though there's a car parked on it in the streetview.

Dim parcio an yr llwybr yma!
No parking on this here path
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

tykeboy2003 wrote:Can't have Wales above Yorkshire can we?

one is not better then the other, they are different :wink:
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

Cyril Haearn wrote:But were there not some boundary changes that moved places from L to Y or Y to L?

It all depends on the definition of county. The traditional counties all formally continue to exist along their ancient boundaries but are no longer used as the basis of local government. New administrative and Lord Lieutenancy areas were created for those purposes. These are also commonly known as counties and often carry the name of a traditional county. In day to day use it has become common to refer to these counties and their boundaries rather than the traditional ones.

Unfortunately this causes people to believe that Middlesex has ceased to exist; "Welcome to Lancashire" signs being erected on the roads leaving Blackpool; Yorkshire being considered as four completely separate counties (none of them including that most lovely of the Yorkshire Dales, Dentdale) etc. etc.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

AdamS wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:But were there not some boundary changes that moved places from L to Y or Y to L?

It all depends on the definition of county. The traditional counties all formally continue to exist along their ancient boundaries but are no longer used as the basis of local government. New administrative and Lord Lieutenancy areas were created for those purposes. These are also commonly known as counties and often carry the name of a traditional county. In day to day use it has become common to refer to these counties and their boundaries rather than the traditional ones.

Unfortunately this causes people to believe that Middlesex has ceased to exist; "Welcome to Lancashire" signs being erected on the roads leaving Blackpool; Yorkshire being considered as four completely separate counties (none of them including that most lovely of the Yorkshire Dales, Dentdale) etc. etc.

Just to be square, all of Lancashire was formally part of Yorkshire - the ambivalence and split arose (sic) over a certain flora related dispute!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!