Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Mistik-ka

Re: Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Post by Mistik-ka »

foxyrider wrote:Just to be square, all of Lancashire was formally part of Yorkshire…

Ooh, where did we put Dad's helmet from WWII — I think we may be needing it soon! :shock:
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

Most of the counties (including Lancs) were established long before the Wars of the Roses. Lancs didn't exist at the time of the Domesday book which lists some parts under Cheshire, some parts under Yorks, and many parts not at all. People need to get away from this idea of the Wars of the Roses as wars between counties. They were national conflicts between dynastic houses. Contrary to common myth, support for the houses was not geographically aligned to the counties.
https://sites.google.com/site/martinhic ... lancashire

pwa wrote:I'm from Lancashire, and traditionally we are supposed to diss Yorkshire. In truth, like many from Lancashire, I love Yorkshire and I visit frequently.

Same here :D
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

We have a holiday coming up at the end of May - a cottage near Bedale. Her indoors is letting me take my bike :D
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

AdamS wrote:Most of the counties (including Lancs) were established long before the Wars of the Roses. Lancs didn't exist at the time of the Domesday book which lists some parts under Cheshire, some parts under Yorks, and many parts not at all. People need to get away from this idea of the Wars of the Roses as wars between counties. They were national conflicts between dynastic houses. Contrary to common myth, support for the houses was not geographically aligned to the counties.
https://sites.google.com/site/martinhic ... lancashire

pwa wrote:I'm from Lancashire, and traditionally we are supposed to diss Yorkshire. In truth, like many from Lancashire, I love Yorkshire and I visit frequently.

Same here :D

All true, and as a Yorkshireman I have no problem with Lancashire. In recent years I have got to know Lancaster since my son is at the University there and it's a lovely place. The area to the east of the Motorway - The forest of Bowland - is a lovely area unspoilt due to being undiscovered by tourists. Also of course, quite a bit of the Lake District falls under the old County of Lancashire and is truly beautiful.

The rivalry is really only perpetuated by the 2 County Cricket teams as a way of boosting interest and attendances.
AdamS

Post by AdamS »

I've always seen it as a friendly rivalry. Fine as a bit of fun, baffling when people take it seriously!
In response to your kind words. I should acknowledge that the eastern half of Bowland is historically Yorkshire so we can both lay claim to that one :D
Ray

Post by Ray »

Perhaps some of you Yorkshire-lovers could help me spread the love?

I'm helping to organise a tour around Yorkshire for a group of about 50 continental club riders** next September, and would like some advice on routes, and maybe eating places.

See my thread currently on the 'Touring & Expedition board - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=114328

** UK participants welcome to join us for all or part of the ride. Lots more information at http://tinyurl.com/zxst8s8
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

John Noakes, another great Yorkshireperson, has died aged 83

When he joined *Blue Peter* he was 29 years old but *looked about 14*. His accent helped him get the job back then!
+1 for Yorkshirespeak

Huddersfield FC just got into the *first division*. How may I place a wager on them *doing a Leicester*?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ray wrote:Perhaps some of you Yorkshire-lovers could help me spread the love?

I'm helping to organise a tour around Yorkshire for a group of about 50 continental club riders** next September, and would like some advice on routes, and maybe eating places.

See my thread currently on the 'Touring & Expedition board - viewtopic.php?f=16&t=114328

** UK participants welcome to join us for all or part of the ride. Lots more information at http://tinyurl.com/zxst8s8

Harry Ramsdens Fish and Chip Restaurants?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Cyril Haearn wrote: ... Harry Ramsdens Fish and Chip Restaurants?

Gone, but apparently not forgotten.

Somebody tried to operate Harry Ramsden's as a franchise some years ago and it didn't turn out as they had hoped.

The Harry Ramsdens in Guiseley is now the Wetherby Whaler, and Harry R is commemorated by a blue plaque.

http://www.wetherbywhaler.co.uk/our-res ... /guiseley/
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

thirdcrank wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote: ... Harry Ramsdens Fish and Chip Restaurants?

Gone, but apparently not forgotten.

Somebody tried to operate Harry Ramsden's as a franchise some years ago and it didn't turn out as they had hoped.

The Harry Ramsdens in Guiseley is now the Wetherby Whaler, and Harry R is commemorated by a blue plaque.

http://www.wetherbywhaler.co.uk/our-res ... /guiseley/

Did HR go bust, why? I remember reading about it years ago. Unfortunately I am now a vegetarian. Does Little Chef still exist? Used to go there often. I guess I should stop off in Yorkshire more often :wink:
Ray

Post by Ray »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Harry Ramsdens Fish and Chip Restaurants?

I haven't yet managed to arrange for a fish'n'chips dinner during the trip, but we are having shepherds' pie and rhubarb crumble at our Mytholmroyd lunch stop, followed, of course, by a nice cup of Yorkshire tea. Visitors welcome, just let me know if you'd like to join us.

As for the Wetherby Whaler - when did whaling ships last operate out of Wetherby? :?
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It seems the HR franchise is still in operation so my earlier post was badly worded.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Ramsden%27s

I've no idea why the Wetherby Whaler places are so named. The first was in Wetherby; perhaps it's an allusion to the size of the fish portions (I do know that whales are not fish. Perhaps there should be a "We love whales" thread. :wink: )

I suppose the most famous fish and chip shops in Yorkshire are in Whitby, which did once have whaling connections.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Yorkshire is looking stunning at the moment. We're on holiday this week staying in the Dales and doing the touristy thing (unfortunately in the car :roll: as Mrs. Spinners doesn't cycle) and I've managed to get out for a couple of short rides. The TdF and TdY legacy is still evident with plenty of yellow bicycles about the place.
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
pwa

Post by pwa »

Spinners wrote:Yorkshire is looking stunning at the moment. We're on holiday this week staying in the Dales and doing the touristy thing (unfortunately in the car :roll: as Mrs. Spinners doesn't cycle) and I've managed to get out for a couple of short rides. The TdF and TdY legacy is still evident with plenty of yellow bicycles about the place.

Wish I was there too. Does she drink? Leave her in the Tan Hill Inn for a couple of hours while you do a circular down Swaledale and back up Arkengarthdale. She'll be hammered by the time you get back to her but you'll get a great ride in.
Ray

Post by Ray »

And it's not just the lumpy bits. I'm sitting in the sun outside a cafe in Pocklington - lovely!
Ray