Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
100%JR

Re: Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Post by 100%JR »

Spinners wrote:Just had a fantastic weeks holiday in God's own county - staying near Leyburn and Bedale. Plenty of sun all week (albeit with a bit of an edge to the wind earlier in the week) and building up to being scorchio yesterday and today. As a bonus, 'er indoors was OK with me getting out on my bike for a few shortish local rides. Lovely!

Did you venture down Wensleydale to Hawes?
Me Mam and Dad have lived up Hawes way since 1996 8) Beautiful part of Yorkshire.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

100%JR wrote:
Spinners wrote:Just had a fantastic weeks holiday in God's own county - staying near Leyburn and Bedale. Plenty of sun all week (albeit with a bit of an edge to the wind earlier in the week) and building up to being scorchio yesterday and today. As a bonus, 'er indoors was OK with me getting out on my bike for a few shortish local rides. Lovely!

Me Mam and Dad have lived up Hawes way since 1996 8) Beautiful part of Yorkshire.

That would be up Wensleydale to Hawes from Leyburn, though but. :-)

It is fantastical cycling country all 'round there. Add in Arkengarthdale or Swaledale, Mallerstang then back down Wensleydale; or perhaps the north side of Wensleydale through Redmire then Askrigg to the fine pub at Hardraw before a return up Buttertubs then back via Swaledale. A ride through Wensleydale then down Garsdale to Sedbergh (cafes) and back via Dentdale. So many hard but satisfying rides!

Then there's all that stuff south of Wensleydale, including the evil climb from Hawes up Fleet Moss from whence one may choose several impossible routes back.

Cugel, far to the west now.
Last edited by Cugel on 8 Sep 2019, 8:53am, edited 1 time in total.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

100%JR wrote:

Yes, last year and again this year. Beautiful! Got myself a Yorkshire cycling jersey from the Dales Countryside Museum but it's still a bit of a tight fit :oops:
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cugel wrote:Then there's all that stuff south of Wensleydale, including the evil climb from Hawes up Fleet Moss from whence one may choose several impossible routes back.

I have to climb said evil route up Fleet Moss to get to my parents farm :wink:
(The farm where they live,they're not farmers!)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Professor Joseph Wright was born in Idle near Bradford but he was not lazy, went down the mine at six years old, he could draw pictures with both hands at once
He walked from Antwerp to Heidelberg to save cash and later became Professor of languages at Oxford, helped to get Tolkien interested in languages
He liked cycling in the Dales and was involved in the Yorkshire Dialect Society
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

100%JR wrote:
Cugel wrote:Then there's all that stuff south of Wensleydale, including the evil climb from Hawes up Fleet Moss from whence one may choose several impossible routes back.

I have to climb said evil route up Fleet Moss to get to my parents farm :wink:
(The farm where they live,they're not farmers!)

What are they doing, living on a farm without being farmers?
Is that a thing? :wink:
timmitchell

Post by timmitchell »

Cyril Haearn wrote:No need for a peace wall between Lancashire and Yorkshire :wink:

But were there not some boundary changes that moved places from L to Y or Y to L?

Is there a sudden change in speech/dialect at the boundary?

Not that I know of. I am a Yorkshire Man, bred in Saddleworth. It was and remains in the West Riding. Some confusion arises as we were moved to Gtr MCR in the mid 70's. We were not moved to Lancashire. Gtr Manchester is formed from Lancs/Cheshire/Yorkshire.

On the whole we have more in common than apart. Just we are better :roll:
100%JR

Post by 100%JR »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What are they doing, living on a farm without being farmers?
Is that a thing? :wink:

Yes,sadly.
Quite a few Hills Farms are no longer working farms as it just doesn't pay.
The Farm in question was bought when the last tenant died(no one to take it on)was renovated and has since 1997 been run as a B&B for walkers doing the Pennine and Dales Way routes.The owner also does Grouse shooting days(primary business) and rents out the land(almost 1000 acres IIRC) to neighbouring Farmers to graze their flocks.Had he not bought it because of the remote location it would probably have ended up another Dales crumbling ruin(of which there are quite a few!)
If it were owned by my parents I would be living there myself :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Thread resurrection alert

I do (not) believe it. The Grauniad reports that the tory hq is moving to Leeds, or is it a second hq? Yorkshire is allegedly quite conservative, although Leeds voted against This Madness
Leeds has changed a bit since I knew it, now has FOUR universities

Zbigniew Baumann, a professor, lived in Leeds, he did not quite understand what was happening. Years ago the city had factories making locomotive engines and the like, now most people sit at screens and 'earn' more than ever

Significant perhaps that the tories didnae choose Manchester, or Llandrindod, or Dunblane :wink:
mumbojumbo

Post by mumbojumbo »

Not that I know of. I am a Yorkshire Man, bred in Saddleworth. It was and remains in the West Riding. Some confusion arises as we were moved to Gtr MCR in the mid 70's. We were not moved to Lancashire. Gtr Manchester is formed from Lancs/Cheshire/Yorkshire.

On the whole we have more in common than apart. Just we are better :roll:

There is a Saddkleworth just outside Oldham and the adjacent moors were notoriious as the site of several atrocities inflicted on children by two adults.Hindley and Brady.I know people in Todmorden are in dispute about theirn heritage.Apparently the climate there is so good fruit and vegetables appear in traffic islands and roundabouts,and those born in the town are freeman with the right to graze sheep in parks and on schoolfields outside term time.The poet laureate Simon Arbitrage is from that way too, so-surprising what emerges in such unpromising places.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Todmorden is not unpromising, and as for Hebden Bridge.. :wink:
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Thread resurrection alert

I do (not) believe it. The Grauniad reports that the tory hq is moving to Leeds................

Significant perhaps that the tories didnae choose Manchester, or Llandrindod, or Dunblane :wink:

Leeds and London are very well connected by train, and Leeds city centre has a good feel about it. If anyone had asked me to list potential northern England locations for this I think Leeds would have been top of my list. Manchester second.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

pwa wrote:

I do (not) believe it. The Grauniad reports that the tory hq is moving to Leeds................

Leeds and London are very well connected by train, and Leeds city centre has a good feel about it. If anyone had asked me to list potential northern England locations for this I think Leeds would have been top of my list. Manchester second.

Surely it should've gone to 'arrogate or mebe 'ousing's too pricey there already!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pwa

Post by pwa »

foxyrider wrote:
pwa wrote:

Surely it should've gone to 'arrogate or mebe 'ousing's too pricey there already!

It's not main line though, is it? And not as directly linked to the motorways.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The tories win Harrow-Gate anyway :?