Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
User avatar
100%JR
Posts: 559
Joined: 31 May 2016, 10:47pm
Location: High Green,Sheffield.

Re: Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Postby 100%JR » 5 Aug 2018, 5:40pm

tykeboy2003 wrote:
brooksby wrote:I grew up around Collingham, Boston Spa, and Wetherby (not the posh bits of any of them!). I always preferred Sam Smiths. The Taddy Porter, mmm...


It was pretty well all John Smiths round where I grew up, horrible stuff but there was little choice. They bought out the Barnsley brewery in about 1971 and immediately shut it down and replaced Barnsley Bitter (which was a decent pint) with John Smiths Bitter in all the pubs and Working Men's clubs etc. The brewery has been demolished recently (within the last 4 or 5 years) but I don't know what's being done with the land. On the bright side, Acorn Brewery is making Barnsley Bitter and it's reet smashing.....

It was pretty much all Stones Bitter in Rotherham...always gave me a banging headache.
I have to agree on Acorn Brewery Barnsley Bitter.It really is a great pint.It was one of the house beers in the Ladybower Inn until it was bought out recently.
So many micro breweries now we’re spoilt for choice.

brynpoeth
Posts: 8362
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Postby brynpoeth » 5 Aug 2018, 7:32pm

The L word, a county beyond the Pennines :?
It was obviously truncated automatically as being inappropriate :wink:
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras & STOP signs

peetee
Posts: 957
Joined: 4 May 2010, 10:20pm

Re: Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Postby peetee » 5 Aug 2018, 8:41pm

brynpoeth wrote:The L word, a county beyond the Pennines :?
It was obviously truncated automatically as being inappropriate :wink:


I expect spellchecker removed it because it was offensive.
Current status report:
Latter side of fifty and feeling less than nifty.
Too many bikes on pegs and too few miles in the legs.

User avatar
foxyrider
Posts: 4107
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 10:25am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Re: Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Postby foxyrider » 5 Aug 2018, 9:48pm

ibbo68 wrote:
tykeboy2003 wrote:
brooksby wrote:I grew up around Collingham, Boston Spa, and Wetherby (not the posh bits of any of them!). I always preferred Sam Smiths. The Taddy Porter, mmm...


It was pretty well all John Smiths round where I grew up, horrible stuff but there was little choice. They bought out the Barnsley brewery in about 1971 and immediately shut it down and replaced Barnsley Bitter (which was a decent pint) with John Smiths Bitter in all the pubs and Working Men's clubs etc. The brewery has been demolished recently (within the last 4 or 5 years) but I don't know what's being done with the land. On the bright side, Acorn Brewery is making Barnsley Bitter and it's reet smashing.....

It was pretty much all Stones Bitter in Rotherham...always gave me a banging headache.
I have to agree on Acorn Brewery Barnsley Bitter.It really is a great pint.It was one of the house beers in the Ladybower Inn until it was bought out recently.
So many micro breweries now we’re spoilt for choice.

Stones Bitter - that and Wards just about the only stuff available for miles around Sheffield - revolting stuff! A friend of mine worked at the brewery and he couldn't stomach the stuff either.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

mumbojumbo
Posts: 71
Joined: 1 Aug 2018, 8:18pm

Re: Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Postby mumbojumbo » 5 Aug 2018, 10:24pm

Stones Bitter - that and Wards just about the only stuff available for miles around Sheffield - revolting stuff! A friend of mine worked at the brewery and he couldn't stomach the stuff either.


I am totally disappointed with this condemnation of two fine beers,probably by someone who lacks local provenance.We have a lot of southerners who will never return south but find it very hard to assimilate,and simply cannot stomach proper beer rather than the flowery,fruity beers found in the land below the Mason-Dixon line eg Badger Beers,Wadworths and WAN King Brewers of Ipswich.The friend he mentioned was probably too fond of a hand-pulled shandy top.

User avatar
100%JR
Posts: 559
Joined: 31 May 2016, 10:47pm
Location: High Green,Sheffield.

Re: Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Postby 100%JR » 6 Aug 2018, 8:13am

mumbojumbo wrote:
Stones Bitter - that and Wards just about the only stuff available for miles around Sheffield - revolting stuff! A friend of mine worked at the brewery and he couldn't stomach the stuff either.


I am totally disappointed with this condemnation of two fine beers,probably by someone who lacks local provenance.We have a lot of southerners who will never return south but find it very hard to assimilate,and simply cannot stomach proper beer rather than the flowery,fruity beers found in the land below the Mason-Dixon line eg Badger Beers,Wadworths and WAN King Brewers of Ipswich.The friend he mentioned was probably too fond of a hand-pulled shandy top.

Born and bred in South Yorkshire mate.Lived here all of my 50 years!Rotherham 1968-90 and Sheffield 1990-present.Stones and Wards were terrible.In fact THE worst pint of Wards was in the Devonshire Arms across the road from the(long gone) Brewery on Eccy Road!
My dad,now 83,loved Stones but even he says it changed for the worse in the 80s.
Just because it’s your locally brewed Ale it doesn’t automatically make it good!

User avatar
foxyrider
Posts: 4107
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 10:25am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Re: Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Postby foxyrider » 6 Aug 2018, 8:41am

mumbojumbo wrote:
Stones Bitter - that and Wards just about the only stuff available for miles around Sheffield - revolting stuff! A friend of mine worked at the brewery and he couldn't stomach the stuff either.


I am totally disappointed with this condemnation of two fine beers,probably by someone who lacks local provenance.We have a lot of southerners who will never return south but find it very hard to assimilate,and simply cannot stomach proper beer rather than the flowery,fruity beers found in the land below the Mason-Dixon line eg Badger Beers,Wadworths and WAN King Brewers of Ipswich.The friend he mentioned was probably too fond of a hand-pulled shandy top.


Rather disingenuous of you.

Said brewery worker, a fellow cyclist as it happens, was a member of the quality control team at Hillsborough, don't think he knows what Shandy is :lol: I guess 'testing' samples every night left his taste buds a bit jaded.

And whilst I might not be a native of Steel City I did start my drinking career here straight from school. In deed Sunday club runs invariably had a pub 'lunch' accompanied by several pints of warm, sticky brew! How we got home from the Peaks some weeks i'll never know.

Almost 40 years on and times have changed and my drinking preferences with it, drinking during a ride is rare and whilst i'm all for Yorkshire fare it doesn't mean i'm blinkered into thinking it's always best.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

Chat Noir
Posts: 162
Joined: 22 Jan 2010, 8:52pm
Location: York

Re: Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Postby Chat Noir » 7 Aug 2018, 1:11pm

Snoozing in the midday sun.

The view coming down Greet’s Hill off Acklam Wold, east of York on Sunday. The scenery takes the breath away any month of the year, summer or winter. The Howardian Hills and the Wold’s, less well-known than some parts of Yorkshire but some of the best cycling you’ll find, and with cafes to match.

View from Greet's Hill, Acklam Brow.jpg
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012

mumbojumbo
Posts: 71
Joined: 1 Aug 2018, 8:18pm

Re: Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Postby mumbojumbo » 7 Aug 2018, 7:04pm

Sheffield had several breweries,Wards,Stones and Whitbread,and this beer was supplemented by Tetleys,and the Smiths brothers,at Madcaster.Stones was the more consistent drink but did cause headaches,whereas the Wards caused many purveyors of lazatives to reconsider their vacation.Few pubs sold mild and beer was prices at a uniform rate throughout the city and beyond.There were a few outsiders such as Taylors Landlord and Marstons Pedigree,which were available unofficially in an era of tied houses,plus ann embryonic real ale scene using free houses,such as The Black Cat,the Old House at Home and the Penny Black.Finally Robbing Hood Ales were dispensed at the Pomegranate on Ecclesfield Road=this beer was stronger in shandy form than as bitter.These were the good old days when women (puddding burners) were happy to put on a good spread for her husband and prepare a decent meal,in the hope of being treated to some Black Magic,or some other oral delight eg a flake,Mars or good old allsorts

User avatar
foxyrider
Posts: 4107
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 10:25am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Re: Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Postby foxyrider » 7 Aug 2018, 8:23pm

mumbojumbo wrote:Sheffield had several breweries,Wards,Stones and Whitbread,and this beer was supplemented by Tetleys,and the Smiths brothers,at Madcaster.Stones was the more consistent drink but did cause headaches,whereas the Wards caused many purveyors of lazatives to reconsider their vacation.Few pubs sold mild and beer was prices at a uniform rate throughout the city and beyond.There were a few outsiders such as Taylors Landlord and Marstons Pedigree,which were available unofficially in an era of tied houses,plus ann embryonic real ale scene using free houses,such as The Black Cat,the Old House at Home and the Penny Black.Finally Robbing Hood Ales were dispensed at the Pomegranate on Ecclesfield Road=this beer was stronger in shandy form than as bitter.These were the good old days when women (puddding burners) were happy to put on a good spread for her husband and prepare a decent meal,in the hope of being treated to some Black Magic,or some other oral delight eg a flake,Mars or good old allsorts


Brings to mind the 4X advert with a load of beer and a bottle of sherry 'for the Sheilas'!

The women round here drink harder than the men these days! At least the small local breweries (Kelham, Bradfield etc) do put out some drinkable stuff unlike their industrial sized forefathers.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

User avatar
100%JR
Posts: 559
Joined: 31 May 2016, 10:47pm
Location: High Green,Sheffield.

Re: Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Postby 100%JR » 7 Aug 2018, 9:29pm

foxyrider wrote:The women round here drink harder than the men these days! At least the small local breweries (Kelham, Bradfield etc) do put out some drinkable stuff unlike their industrial sized forefathers.

Abbeydale Brewery Moonshine and Absolution are about the only "Summer" or "Blonde Ales" I can drink 8) I find Bradfield Farmers Blonde a bit too perfumy.
The Chantry Brewery in Rotherham apparently has some good Ales.
I've also been recommended the Smithy Arms,across from the Wagon and Horses in Oxspring.Basically a Pub in someone's house :mrgreen:

brynpoeth
Posts: 8362
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Postby brynpoeth » 7 Aug 2018, 9:32pm

I do not drink alcohol, may I recommend Bettys Tearoom in Harrogate?
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras & STOP signs

User avatar
foxyrider
Posts: 4107
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 10:25am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Re: Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Postby foxyrider » 7 Aug 2018, 9:45pm

brynpoeth wrote:I do not drink alcohol, may I recommend Bettys Tearoom in Harrogate?


No - it's a tourist trap to catch furreners!

There are some real, proper tea rooms in GOC where you don't pay thru't nose and surroundings and food are much better. For example the Black Swan te room in Helmsley is excellent.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

User avatar
foxyrider
Posts: 4107
Joined: 29 Aug 2011, 10:25am
Location: Sheffield, South Yorkshire

Re: Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Postby foxyrider » 7 Aug 2018, 9:48pm

ibbo68 wrote:
foxyrider wrote:The women round here drink harder than the men these days! At least the small local breweries (Kelham, Bradfield etc) do put out some drinkable stuff unlike their industrial sized forefathers.

Abbeydale Brewery Moonshine and Absolution are about the only "Summer" or "Blonde Ales" I can drink 8) I find Bradfield Farmers Blonde a bit too perfumy.
The Chantry Brewery in Rotherham apparently has some good Ales.
I've also been recommended the Smithy Arms,across from the Wagon and Horses in Oxspring.Basically a Pub in someone's house :mrgreen:


The University Arms on Western Bank has a remarkably good range of local brews.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!

brynpoeth
Posts: 8362
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: Yorkshire's reet grand - We love Yorkshire

Postby brynpoeth » 7 Aug 2018, 9:51pm

foxyrider wrote:
brynpoeth wrote:I do not drink alcohol, may I recommend Bettys Tearoom in Harrogate?


No - it's a tourist trap to catch furreners!

There are some real, proper tea rooms in GOC where you don't pay thru't nose and surroundings and food are much better. For example the Black Swan te room in Helmsley is excellent.

Are there a lot of furreners in the Llandrindod Wells of Yorkshire? Not been there since 1974 unfortunately :wink:
What about Knaresborough?
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras & STOP signs