speed humps in Hyde Park

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
mercalia

speed humps in Hyde Park

Post by mercalia »

what a waste of money as the article points out that where they have done it elsewhere, riders ( including yours truly) just ride on the grass at the side - so wont make a difference ( unless they make it an offence to ride on the grass :roll: )

makes me wonder if they know what a cycle is :lol:

http://lcc.org.uk/articles/cycle-speed-humps-in-hyde-park-our-concerns

if they really wanted to stop accidents ( of which there are very few ) they should educate pedestrians to stop walking on the cycle paths and maybe fence them off?
[XAP]Bob

Re: speed humps in Hyde Park

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Pedestrians are entityto be there I suspect...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

A 10mph limit on a level road would seem unduly slow, to me and probably the majority of cyclists. But on a shared path - if the need arose I'd certainly keep to such a limit. Indeed, on the short stretches of shared path that I cannot avoid using, I'm often down to less than half that speed.

You can't 'educate' pedestrians. Even a toddler is entitled to be a pedestrian. Or a dog. Or a person in a wheelchair, or using a zimmer. Persuade the cyclists to comply with local by-laws - if that's at all possible.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

i hate them, but they're usually in places where cyclists have low priority, and they're much better than radicalised pedestrians, which is what you get if you ignore speeding cyclists.

i have nothing to back this up, but when authority is dished out by the grey indifference of concrete, people don't have to take out their frustrations on each other.

somewhere out there there's a way of stopping cyclists from speeding, that you'd have to be speeding to know about.

at least there's no car traps for cyclists, which make cars immobile, blocking the way for vehicles that are allowed passage. genius.

EDIT just for the record, when i'm new to places, and i see a sign, i give it a quick glance to see if there's anything important on it. i can't speak for cyclists but maybe this is an area worth investigating? *smirks*
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

From memory, priority is pedestrians right of way over cyclists. Cycle paths are there so we know where NOT to ride and pedestrians are allowed full use of them.
Speed bumps came about because certain people using certain vehicles (cycles included) lack the ability or willingness to travel at safe speeds around pedestrians. In other words, idiots. There are other terms not permitted here I could happily use to label these people.
Why on earth would you want to fence people off?
Can we fence you off?
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Vantage wrote:From memory, priority is pedestrians right of way over cyclists. Cycle paths are there so we know where NOT to ride and pedestrians are allowed full use of them.
The same applies to carriageways, but pedestrians don't seem to have full use of them. Carriageways are there so vehicles are not driven elsewhere.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
mjr

Post by mjr »

661-Pete wrote:A 10mph limit on a level road would seem unduly slow, to me and probably the majority of cyclists. But on a shared path - if the need arose I'd certainly keep to such a limit. Indeed, on the short stretches of shared path that I cannot avoid using, I'm often down to less than half that speed.

This is not a shared path and it's not level - it slopes gently down towards Hyde Park Corner. Installing cobbled crash hazards (they are NOT speed humps) and gravel to distract cyclists on the approaches to pedestrian crossings seems like a very crazy idea - surely no-one would think it a good idea to install trip hazards on the pedestrian entry to a zebra, so why's it any different for cycles?

The conflict in Hyde Park is largely down to the incompetent parks authority repeatedly refusing to do what's been shown to work: coloured surfacing to guide users (they could use green instead of the customary red or blue for the cycle track, or ideally anti-slip brown for the footways), zebra markings across the cycle track at the main crossing desire points and a wide enough cycleable space that people can walk across in the natural gaps, rather than the current situation where cycling has been channeled into a narrow space and so long trains often form downhill so people walking wait longer for gaps.

Also, if the parks authority actually did more to tackle the motor traffic casualty/intimidation problem on West Carriage Drive (EW CS might have helped - I've not tried it yet) and signposted it better, more people might cycle the shorter and wider Serpentine route to/from Paddington, rather than use Broad Walk to get away from motorists.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

mercalia wrote:if they really wanted to stop accidents ( of which there are very few ) they should educate pedestrians to stop walking on the cycle paths and maybe fence them off?
If they really wanted to stop accidents they should ban motor vehicles or at least stop them travelling more than 10mph. :wink:
Why are bikes seen as dangerous and motor vehicles not? Defies logical reasoning.
Good points also made here https://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress.com/2017/03/14/inconsistency/
I don't peddle bikes.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

It seems "The Royal Parks" has just been "hived" off from The Royal Parks Agency – a former executive agency of the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS). It looks like questions ought to be raised with the Senior Management Team or Board.https://www.royalparks.org.uk/about-us/who-we-are#smt
I don't peddle bikes.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

i'm a bit guilty of small town ignorance i suppose, this is hyde park, where the paths might actually be roads, not pennington flash, where the roads are paths :lol:
Tilman21

Post by Tilman21 »

I have used the way through the Hyde park very often, whan I was in London. The last humps, which I have seen, have been in the Trent Park (reducing the speed of cars).

I will be in London again end of October 2017 with my trekking bike. In the worst case (installed humps in the Hyde Park) it shoud will be an interesting exercise, getting along with more than 10 mph. Does anybody have experience with speed checks on bikes? I only can remember the immense number of terms of use for the Hyde Park 30 years ago, where the penalty for using wrong areas by bike was, if I remember right, 100 GBP. But I can not remember, that there was any speed limit.

But, let us see forward, perhaps the humps will change the way into a nice pump track for mountainbikers.
Tilman Kluge
Steinhohlstrasse 11a
Bad Homburg
D 61352
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Sounds fun - might take a trip to practice my bunny hops! I've been known to clear a cattle grid so a speed hump shouldn't be a problem!

Not sure how you can go downhill to HPC, I thought it was at the top of the park?
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

most of the humps are in Kensington gardens, the other side if Hyde Park - now they seem to have doubled them up and placed metal barriers by the side where cyclists rode on the grass :lol: :lol:
mjr

Post by mjr »

foxyrider wrote:Sounds fun - might take a trip to practice my bunny hops! I've been known to clear a cattle grid so a speed hump shouldn't be a problem!

Not sure how you can go downhill to HPC, I thought it was at the top of the park?

No, Marble Arch is slightly higher than HPC and Rotten Row is also easier heading towards HPC.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

mercalia wrote:most of the humps are in Kensington gardens, the other side if Hyde Park - now they seem to have doubled them up and placed metal barriers by the side where cyclists rode on the grass :lol: :lol:

Queue the longer bypass...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.