Unwanted Ingestion of Flies

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
steves123

Re: Unwanted Ingestion of Flies

Post by steves123 »

Happened to me on my ride today. I've given up trying to cough the blighters up.
Now I just wash 'em down with a mouthful of energy drink. Yum! :wink:
robing

Post by robing »

Worst thing I ingested was not animal but vegetable - I inhaled a blossom from a tree and collapsed in a spluttering heap!
mjr

Post by mjr »

bigjim wrote:We are too clean in the west these days. Asthma and hayfever were pretty rare when I was a kid. Now seems like an epidemic.

Isn't asthma/hayfever/eczema more because we are too dirty in the west these days and have polluted the air that we breathe and food that we eat so much more than ever before, thanks to road traffic and food processing?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

steves123 wrote:Happened to me on my ride today. I've given up trying to cough the blighters up.
Now I just wash 'em down with a mouthful of energy drink. Yum! :wink:

Some of those energy drinks are a bit strong, in some countries sales of them are restricted
Might be better to take the flies neat
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mjr wrote:
bigjim wrote:We are too clean in the west these days. Asthma and hayfever were pretty rare when I was a kid. Now seems like an epidemic.

Isn't asthma/hayfever/eczema more because we are too dirty in the west these days and have polluted the air that we breathe and food that we eat so much more than ever before, thanks to road traffic and food processing?

I had asthma, hay fever, allergies from childhood

But they stopped when I was in my 30s. I am healthier now than back then. I have never lived in a huge city

Anyone else with similar positive experience?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

mjr wrote:

The air was pretty polluted when I was young with the regular smog ridden days. However we played in the dirt and muck and rolled in the grass. Though my even younger days were spent living in Ireland with less pollution, but much playing in muck.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Was out today and rode through several swarms of flies, luckily they missed my mouth even though it was open when I first hit each swarm. My arms, legs and hair didn't fare so well.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
mjr wrote:

My GP blamed pollution in northern hemisphere.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.