Unwanted Ingestion of Flies

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Roadster

Re: Unwanted Ingestion of Flies

Post by Roadster »

"Flies in the mouth are better than bees or wasps trapped in the vents of your helmet who then show their anger by stinging you"

You should have shown your own anger in return... by eating them!
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Wear a helmet with a peak, they are deflected over your head.

I guess that's a joke: I always suspected the peak on my Giro deflected them into my face and I've seen a few people get bugs stuck in helmet vents.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Dangerous things those vents...

I find the midges in the eyes and up the nose more of an irritation.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pyruse

Post by pyruse »

Insects in the eye are much more annoying than insects in the mouth.
They seem to get there even when I'm wearing wrap-around glasses.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

The word "unwanted" in the thread title is bothersome. Under what conditions would insect ingestion be desirable?
Have we got time for another cuppa?
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Audax67 wrote:The word "unwanted" in the thread title is bothersome. Under what conditions would insect ingestion be desirable?

Preferably fried (rather than flying)

Insects are an excellent source of protein and energy. And can be quite tasty too (I'm led to believe).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Yeah, I'd have to be led as well. Mind you, prawns are just marine insects.

In the late '50s - early '60s, when she was a teenager, my wife went to boarding-school in Kenya. One Sunday, as they were on their way to church, an Afrikaner girl in front of her suddenly let out an exclamation of joy, pounced on a large insect they were passing, and ate it.

It takes all sorts. Make mine Barratt's. (Although a CARE package of Pontefract cakes would be most acceptable.)
Have we got time for another cuppa?
BakfietsUK

Post by BakfietsUK »

Audax67 I was honouring the idea that the long term future of meat consumption may lay in arthropods, given they are more efficient to produce than say cattle. Having said that I would not like to be hit in the face by a steak.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Audax67 wrote:Yeah, I'd have to be led as well. Mind you, prawns are just marine insects.

In the late '50s - early '60s, when she was a teenager, my wife went to boarding-school in Kenya. One Sunday, as they were on their way to church, an Afrikaner girl in front of her suddenly let out an exclamation of joy, pounced on a large insect they were passing, and ate it.

It takes all sorts. Make mine Barratt's. (Although a CARE package of Pontefract cakes would be most acceptable.)

Surely you mean Bassetts - i'd hate to get hit in the face by Barratts wares either foot covering or domestic building!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Whilst Bassets are canonical, I prefer the Haribo ones...
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Redvee wrote:Flies in the mouth are better than bees or wasps trapped in the vents of your helmet who then show their anger by stinging you and now means I've got antihistamine in my locker at work and some at home just in case cause the last sting gave me a swollen area around my left eye.

I spoke too soon :?

Many years ago I was stung through my jeans whilst riding a motorcycle, raised the skin on my thigh by about 15-20 mm over an area about the size of a paperback.
Been stung on the head several times, twice cycling, minimum is a headache for a few hours :( And more recently on the temple and had to go to hospital as my throat went numb :( A gardener died after being stung on the temple but he did have asthma.
To the advantages that's non safety rrasons outweigh the cons of a helmet for me, and my reaction to stings has waned over 35 years.
So yesterday I swallowed a large fly / bee :o , But we don't swallow normally as they can be spat out, all mine go down the wind pipe to immerge within a hour / day, tickling / a spike in voice box as the alien is swept up by the hairs on the lining of the trachea.
I probably over stated a helmet as a defence of flies in respect to yesterday but I know from experience that a peak on a helmet (from many all night rides) deflects a large amount of air born stuff out of eyes.

You pays your money :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Ingestion isn't a word you see in daily use.

A few years ago I reported what I thought was a leaking water main to Yorkshire Water. Apart from the obvious loss of water, I didn't like being splashed by passing traffic. This was a bit of a recurring problem and during one of my telephone conversations with a call centre I discovered it was a sewer which was overflowing. This was just round the corner from our house so it wasn't a one-off. Eventually, I had a visit from a technical chap who explained what was causing it and that only spending money would fix it permanently. I whipped off a letter of complaint and had a very patronising reply from somebody with a name like Crappy saying that it would only be a problem if it was ingested. Yuk.

A letter to our MP (and it dates the story if I note that I think the MP was the late John Gunnell ) asking if he thought thought being showered with sewage was OK for his constituents and in due course it was fixed.

They employ too many crappy letter writers, not enough technical people. :evil:
NATURAL ANKLING

mjr wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Wear a helmet with a peak, they are deflected over your head.

I guess that's a joke: I always suspected the peak on my Giro deflected them into my face and I've seen a few people get bugs stuck in helmet vents.

NO, no joke, I was surprised when I had to ride all night with out glasses how well it deflected all the many flies over my head, and even more surprised when I had not a single one in the eye all night.
Forgetting the obvious controversial discussions of helmets and there value to impacts, for these posts Please, For me the advantages outweigh the cons, I did say for me-
Cons-
Trapped flies and worst stinging bugs, we all agree on that.
Affects on the neck with claimed increase in wind resistance on head, with / without peak.
Affects on the neck with claimed bad vision when prone with peak, looking up.
Affects of sweat running down face due to claimed lack of air circulation.
Others?

Pro's-
With peak, makes a very good sun visor.
I claim, that with peak it deflects many flies from face, large stuff though still gets through :(
Back on subject "Unwanted ingestion of flies"
(try night riding with and without a peak and observe?)
Keeps head dry and warmer in bad weather and I don't need extra head gear apart from sub zero temps, even with vents.
Keeps sunburn at bay :)
Claimed increase in sweating is offset with a built in headband :)
Others?

I don't want the thread turned into a helmet safety discussion so its a peak we are talking about mainly, and NON Safety aspects of helmet.

Back on subject "Unwanted Ingestion Of Flies"..................To me its unwanted flies in windpipe that is more the problem, ingestion might mean in the mouth of course :)
BakfietsUK

Post by BakfietsUK »

Quite so, NATURAL ANKLING the intake of flies to the wind pipe might have been headed Unwanted Inspiration.... as my original wording implied that the flies were being inhaled. So that bit of my description which involved breathing hard suggested I would inspire flies, rather than ingest them. The truth is that I still don't know where the fly went at my epiglottis. Either way it's unpleasant.

Thank you for the suggestion of the peaked helmet, which sounds effective. I imagine the air currents are different and I could imagine that the flies may go over the top of the helmet.
NATURAL ANKLING

BakfietsUK wrote:Quite so, NATURAL ANKLING the intake of flies to the wind pipe might have been headed Unwanted Inspiration.... as my original wording implied that the flies were being inhaled. So that bit of my description which involved breathing hard suggested I would inspire flies, rather than ingest them. The truth is that I still don't know where the fly went at my epiglottis. Either way it's unpleasant.

Thank you for the suggestion of the peaked helmet, which sounds effective. I imagine the air currents are different and I could imagine that the flies may go over the top of the helmet.

I suggest that if you already wear a helmet try a peak, I don't think you will be disappointed.
Obviously as I said earlier that big stuff might still get through :(

Its funny how you can go years even decades without actually seeing what is happening, until you video yourself on a bike and then study what is actually happening.

I did this several years ago.
If you ever have a problem on a bike which manifests itself as a pain in the lower half of body, get on a stationary bike (turbo, even rollers would do) and video your motion.

Then study the results, freezeframe and slowmo, I would say that what you will see will be a bit of a surprise.
Good luck.