What a glorious weekend!

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
gbnz

What a glorious weekend!

Post by gbnz »

It's only seven days ago I turned back 100' from the top of a local mountain (Nb. on foot), snow, ice and winds not making it worth the risk :shock: And on a daily end of day 30 mile ride, I definitely recall cursing the non stop head wind out loud, every other day last week :!: All aside from having to wear two pairs of socks, with a sandwich bag in between to protect against windchill, heavy gloves, insulated hat etc, etc, etc

And then this weekend :D Blue skies, warm, no wind. Saw my first bumblebee. And quite unreal yesterday, cyclists packing the road (Nb. In the past eight years, I've seen maybe one cyclist on the military ranges road; yesterday 9-12 all riding seperately :shock: ).

And then the final, unreal, incredible experience:D . A b$£**y motorist zoomed past today, far too close for comfort, high powered car, open, empty road, driver clearly couldn't give a damn about a cyclist :roll:

Until a BMW Highways patrol car came over the top of the hill at that precise moment, did a u-turn, blue lights on, pulled said motorist over and by the time I caught up, had the driver in the patrol car :P :P :P :P :P

Anyone else had a decent ride?
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: What a glorious weekend!

Post by Mick F »

gbnz wrote:And then this weekend :D Blue skies, warm, no wind.

Anyone else had a decent ride?
Blue skies ............... but that was about it here.
Wind, strong northeasterlies, and chilly chilly chilly! Nice enough at 12degC, and nice and warm out of the wind, but I'm still riding in longs and layers plus a windproof LS top.

Decent ride?
Yes, even with the weather.

Out this morning for a 50mile ride, and luckily the wind has dropped a bit, but it's forecast to be only 13degC maximum.
Mick F. Cornwall
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Down at Redruth it got to 20 degrees on Saturday Mick.
Rode to lands end early morning with a tail wind and met my wife there.
A few hours later we where on the beach at Portreath, kids in swimming cossies playing in the sea and the beach very busy ......
Bright on Sunday again but a chill edge to the wind .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
whoof

Post by whoof »

Went into South Wales on Saturday. It was a sunny day and lovely ride, it felt positively warm in the garden centre at Usk.
But it was also windy and the wind was cold. The entire ride back across the Severn bridge was done at what felt like an angle of 45 degrees (and was probably more like 5) as I Ieant into the wind. I did take my gillet off for the 2-3 mile climb out of Usk but still had leg warmers, gloves, long sleeved jersey and base layer, I also had a buff and cap for the first 15 miles.

On Sunday it was even windier. Short ride to the community farm and then supermarket followed by lots of gardening and Ghent Wevelgem (watching not riding).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Lovely weather - didn't have time to go out though :(
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
captain offensive

Post by captain offensive »

Lovely weather although did have the strong north easterly. Got my circuit around the Isle of Wight in. Very nice
hamster

Post by hamster »

Strong wind on the beak on Saturday had me grovelling down to 12mph...later in the loop was ticking along at 27mph on the flat with it feeling as though the chain had come off! 8)
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Mick F wrote:, but I'm still riding in longs and layers plus a windproof LS top..

Yes, that's what made it so incredible.

Several days earlier I was in full winter gear, on foot and turned back from the top of a mountain due to the severe conditions (While on the bike last week had literally been mouthing off at the horrific conditions, day after day).

On Saturday I ended up on the bike, short sleeves. Seventy odd miles into a ride even stopped for an ice cream. Every cyclist in the North appeared to have turned out - on a isolated, 13-14 mile route over the military ranges, I came across a dozen cyclists, individuals who'd all headed out on the road (I've only ever seen perhaps 1-2 cyclists in the last eight years on that stretch).

And the finale, yesterday morning. How often does one get cut up by a b&$^^!y motorist; to find a state of the art, BMW Police Highway Patrol car appears out of nowhere, a fraction of a second later, does an immediate U-Turn and pulls that b%£*%$!y motorist over :D . By the time I'd caught up, said motorist was sitting in the patrol car, on the highest point of an isolated moor road, being read his rights by the police :D

I'm quite clear that at no stage during my remaining decades of life, will I ever have the experience of having the full support of the police a fraction of a second after being cut up by a motorist while on a bike (And the fact that it was on an isolated moor road made it even more surreal!)
Last edited by gbnz on 27 Mar 2017, 6:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
pwa

Post by pwa »

The Missus and me went for a walk on Saturday down to the clifftop path overlooking the Bristol Channel. As we walked over the fields we encountered a chap coming the other way. Stark naked, except for shoes and the pack on his back. The beach is used by naturists and some push the envelope of what is tolerated by venturing inland devoid of textiles. He didn't seem unduly cold.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I should have been out on my first club run of the year on Sunday but mother's day intervened and family duties won out. Plus I forgot about the clocks thing. I have mixed feelings though about Sunday rides in beautiful weather. All the complete idiots seem to turn out driving like maniacs, the roads are busier than ever and the cafe stops are overfowing. Why do people jump in the car when the sun is out to race to the nearest traffic jam? I just don't get it. Much nicer chilled out in the garden with a brew.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Saturday I rode the Strawberry line and visited Clevedon and Portishead . I've never encountered so many cyclists before except for events. Feeling a little odd as the first 40 riders I encountered were all wearing h*****s. Then I came across two young ladies without and balance was restored from then on. Quite windy but jacket off after lunch and sleeves rolled up an hour later. As I flashed through Axebridge on my way back the square was full off cycles and plenty of evidence of drink and ride. Wished I'd stopped but I rarely fancy beer in daylight hours.
Sunday at Burnham on Sea 18.5 C just like a good summers day in Scotland. Wished I'd had my shorts on.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Paulatic wrote:Saturday I rode the Strawberry line and visited Clevedon and Portishead . I've never encountered so many cyclists before except for events. Feeling a little odd as the first 40 riders I encountered were all wearing h*****s. Then I came across two young ladies without and balance was restored from then on. Quite windy but jacket off after lunch and sleeves rolled up an hour later. As I flashed through Axebridge on my way back the square was full off cycles and plenty of evidence of drink and ride. Wished I'd stopped but I rarely fancy beer in daylight hours.
Sunday at Burnham on Sea 18.5 C just like a good summers day in Scotland. Wished I'd had my shorts on.

Should have carried on to Bath for some Twin Tunnel action and out into the countryside. Then you could have come and given me a hand feeding all my fruit trees and roses.
hercule

Post by hercule »

Well, I had a fantastic 30 mile loop on mostly deserted roads and was suitably awe inspired by a field full of pink footed geese (there must have been hundreds) that decided to take off in unison before landing a few hundred metres further on. It was like someone airing a giant duvet - a Mexican wave of geese. I saw a few cyclists, the friendly ones were those out for a potter, the MAMILs grimaced and rode grimly on, doubtless thinking that as I was riding a Moulton I wasn't a "real" cyclist.
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

Stunning weather up here in the highlands of Scotland , First ride of the year in cycle shorts :D
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Heltor Chasca wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Saturday I rode the Strawberry line and visited Clevedon and Portishead . I've never encountered so many cyclists before except for events. Feeling a little odd as the first 40 riders I encountered were all wearing h*****s. Then I came across two young ladies without and balance was restored from then on. Quite windy but jacket off after lunch and sleeves rolled up an hour later. As I flashed through Axebridge on my way back the square was full off cycles and plenty of evidence of drink and ride. Wished I'd stopped but I rarely fancy beer in daylight hours.

Should have carried on to Bath for some Twin Tunnel action and out into the countryside. Then you could have come and given me a hand feeding all my fruit trees and roses.

Might get to Bath yet but it's a job knowing which roads are OK. Picked up an excellent 'travel + ' map of North Somerset but doesn't go as far as Bath. Asked in library this morning for a Bath and North Eastern version but I was told you've to be in that area to get one. Brilliant logic :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info